Some of the Notts fan base

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171
  • Days Won:  0

I haven't witnessed much success for Notts, but under the Reedtz, we finally resemble a club striving to progress, thanks to hard work behind the scenes. So, why can't some fans just be content? Why the rush for promotion this season when we're on the right track? Why scrutinize some players more than those making zero effort? I might be too young to grasp this, but I felt more hope when we were relegated from L2. It seems backward and odd. I dislike going on social media to read fans criticizing the players. It's unjust when the club is striving to be its best. Do we just have some terrible fans, or is it football in general? Stuart Maynard deserves a chance, and those always complaining about the players should hold off until the season concludes.

Edited by JohnTheBost
  • Like 7
  • Love 3

• JohnTheBost changed the title to Some of the Notts fan base

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I agree @JohnTheBost

Unfortunately this goes on at every football club in the land, and it used to go on before the age of social media. You'd go to a game and some around you at a game would be moaning and groaning.

I can remember Les Bradd and Don Masson, iconic players at Notts, as well as other of our top players, getting stick from some at times.

As far as this season goes, I am very happy with how we have got ourselves into a position where we are still challenging for a playoff place after 29 games, and we still have it in our hands to achieve that goal this season.

In the history of the football league it is not common for a team to get back to back promotions. The fact that we still have an opportunity to do so, for me, is absolutely fantastic.

If we don't get promoted this year, it will still have been a good season for us, something the team can build on to challenge for the top three next season.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,512
  • Days Won:  15

It begins to bother me when some supporters simply can’t appreciate the progress. This is our initial season back in the Football League, and some behave as if we’ve been here for the last five seasons with the largest budget in the league. It’s not something I wish to dwell on, which is why I value the website. When you chat with unfamiliar fans on match days, hardly anyone says anything even slightly negative. Why is it more prevalent online?

• Like 8
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i think the people complaining all the time have a mix of things going on, they are in a negative group of fans, some i doubt even attend the games, some of it is to just be vocal and stand out on social media. i dont interact or engage with it, i think sometimes people have valid points where seems negative but those who constantly complain just cant enjoy football for what it is. some of the comments at times directed to players on social media should be challenged by the club but we are too scared of losing fans.

majority of notts supporters are great.

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  96
  • Days Won:  1

It`s so refreshing to be a part of Pride of Nottingham where people`s comments mostly seem reflected and well thought out.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  507
  • Days Won:  1

Some people enjoy drama; I reckon it's only right to concentrate on topics open for debate and discussion. Without conversation, communication serves little purpose.

• Love 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I really do despair of some fans comments on social media, I agree with @liampie it’s best not to interact or engage with these posters.

We are lucky in that we have PoN to interact with genuine Notts County fans rather than trolls on Facebook and Twitter.

• Like 3
  • Love 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

Very good post. To play the devil's advocate though, this season we're having a run at League Two with several players who are too good for this division, including a striker who'll score 25 goals blindfolded. They don't grow on trees. That's a good foundation for success, and you could argue that if we end up in mid table, we've underachieved. 

Having said that, I can't stand the entitlement and the whingeing. There are people who seem to relish it when we lose and become abusive towards anyone with a different opinion. 

• Like 5
  • Love 2

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

At the start of the season, fans were just happy to be back in the EFL. Most would have accepted finishing mid-table and then progressing. Most would have only dreamt at the idea of pushing for back to back promotions, it was a possibility but not something that anyone had thought to hardly about.

But the moment we lost 5-1 on the opening day, all that praise fans gave the players and Luke Williams, at the time, went out the window and it was all moans at everything. Fast forward a few games, we start getting some form. We are title challenges, we have a good run, everything is joyful amongst fans again. 

Then, we start a downward spiral and have an inconsistent run. Despite still being in a play off place, fans still aren't happy with it. There are sometimes a need for criticism course there is, it's football everyone has an opinion but whenever you look on socials it's more time than not unwarranted criticism.

It's all about progression, it might not happen this year. It might not happen the season after but if we continue to stay up pushing for that promotion it'll eventually happen, surely? It worked well for us in the National League. Play off defeat after play off defeat but in the end, we managed to secure a way back in to the EFL

There's 2 ways of looking at it. If we miss out on play offs, we've underachieved given the positions we've found ourselves in during the season but on the flip side, if we finish outside the play offs, we've made a slight progression because of my point earlier about recently coming up. 

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Unfortunately Notts are not the only club with some idiots masquerading as fans.My team has plenty too and the neighbours over the Trent and every other club in the world.It's not something that has suddenly cropped either. I've mentioned on this site before about some  Reds fans berating their teams performance and questioning a certain Mr Clough's team selection and that only weeks after the donkeys had won the European Cup.The sad thing is that all these  'fans' don't realise how stupid and ill-informed they make themselves appear by their own actions.

• Love 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

As the saying goes @super_ram "You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time". 

There's never been a truer saying than that, especially when it comes to football fans. If things are going right everyone is happy. When things start going wrong that's when nothing is good. Players could be stand out for 45 out of 46 games but that one game you'll find some fans absolutely slaughtering them with criticism. It's a fickle fan sport some of the time. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

On 07/02/2024 at 17:39, DangerousSausage said:

Having said that, I can't stand the entitlement and the whingeing. There are people who seem to relish it when we lose and become abusive towards anyone with a different opinion. 

I don't want to seem like I'm criticising fans, but some who take pleasure in our struggles or expect us to be like Manchester City in League Two are a bit much. There's a lot to take away from this situation, but it feels harsh for some to now complain about our owners not supporting us in January.

On 07/02/2024 at 12:07, Robbie said:

If we don't get promoted this year, it will still have been a good season for us, something the team can build on to challenge for the top three next season.

No matter how we view it, it's not a bad season, and I agree with you. Over the past few years, we've demonstrated that the club can progress. If we went up and immediately came back down, I imagine there would be more complaints. I prefer to see us ascend in good form, having made improvements, so we're better prepared. The Playoff Final against Chesterfield hinted that we might face difficulties against strong teams, as we did with Wrexham; we didn't have many challenges until now.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  305

I'm concerned that those individuals who only desire to witness football victories and don't support the club during crucial times are a distinct group. Human behavior is evolving, as are the kinds of fans that teams like Notts County attract. While there may be some disheartened fans who have been with Notts since the '60s and beyond, many newer supporters haven't experienced success, and their genuine frustration often stems from unrealistic expectations. Success isn't guaranteed; it must be earned, and unfortunately, we've fallen short in this regard. I hear amusing comments at games, and while I question some fans' faith, I understand that football is a diverse sport, and success is only partially measured by winning games.

• Like 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  911
  • Days Won:  2

I think a lot of it is just overreactions, but some fans are just grumpy folks who love to complain and criticise players. It’s easier to do that than to stick with the squad and understand that we’ve been punching above our weight. With the injuries, managerial loss, and other changes, the momentum has shifted.

• Like 1