Match Discussion: Game 39 - The 'Owd Reds (A)

PON_News

Game 39 - The 'Owd Reds (A)

Team: Accrington Stanley

Date: 16/03/2024

Where: Crown Ground

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

First of all I would like to Apologise to all the Fans on this site. It appears that the current problems at the Lane are my Fault in that I have failed in my job. Therefore I intend to put things Right.

One Wheelbarrow, one Spindle one Wheel two Nuts two Washers a Hammer and a Spanner. Take said wheelbarrow with Hammer tap spindle through hole in Wheelbarrow's left front fork. Place Wheel on Spindle , tap Spindle through hole in right Wheelbarrow fork. Place Washer on each end of Spindle, then place Nuts  on each end of Spindle. Tighten Nuts with Spanner. Wheelbarrow no longer broken, I've done my job so Notts should win on Saturday!! Ah if only it was that Simple.

A Little Bit of Light heartedness during this tough time for the Magpies.

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

First of all I would like to Apologise to all the Fans on this site. It appears that the current problems at the Lane are my Fault in that I have failed in my job. Therefore I intend to put things Right.

One Wheelbarrow, one Spindle one Wheel two Nuts two Washers a Hammer and a Spanner. Take said wheelbarrow with Hammer tap spindle through hole in Wheelbarrow's left front fork. Place Wheel on Spindle , tap Spindle through hole in right Wheelbarrow fork. Place Washer on each end of Spindle, then place Nuts  on each end of Spindle. Tighten Nuts with Spanner. Wheelbarrow no longer broken, I've done my job so Notts should win on Saturday!! Ah if only it was that Simple.

I know the situation with Notts is no laughing matter but the above response  is much better than listening to or spreading silly rumours.It is refreshing to see sensible discussions too.The wheel was coming off long before Stuart Maynard was appointed.

• Like 5

It's nice to have some light relief with a few wisecracks but back to being serious.

We know the problems, thet have come to bite Notts in every game, the individual errors, the failure to deal with dead ball situations, the room that we are giving our opponents on the pitch on transition. 

These problems are persisting despite the tweaks, the change of shapes and more emphasis on defending.

This is clearly not working so I would like Notts to play as they did earlier in the season and play total football all across the pitch.

The emphasis must switch back to the attack. The squad is more comfortable with this way of playing, they are used to playing that way and they should be allowed to play that way for the last 10 games.

I would have Jatta & Crowley Supporting Langstaff in a 3-4-2-1  model. Nemane and Jones as Wing backs

We have to get the opposition worrying about our attacking prowess again, by trying to score more than the opposition score.

It's time to throw caution to the wind because this squad cannot play cautiously.

I won't predict a score. Any score draw would do at this point.

• Like 5

Absolutely right, Robbie. We can't defend or hold onto what we've got so let's go out there and make them worry about us.

For all the recent wobbles, a defender won't look forward to playing against Jones, Macca and Didzy. Crowley and Nemane pose their own threats and can't be ignored. If we have to, let's play like basketball and just hit back at them once they've attacked. And that will help to keep some pressure off our back line as well.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

I think I would do something similar. You could feel the tension increasing on Tuesday, the longer it stayed 1-0. If Langstaff had scored one of his chances that a couple of months ago he would have buried, or we had made our periods of dominance pay then I think we would have kept a clean sheet.

I also think SM is lacking in his own confidence. He should resist the temptation to chop and change as much.  My team would be Slocombe, Macari, Baldwin if fit, Cameron or Chicksen, midfield of JoB and Bostock, Nemane and Jones, forwards Langstaff and Jatta ( but I would allow them to be a bit fluid) with Crowley just behind. Bench Colkett, Austin, Ashby-Hammond, Didzy, Saunders, Chicksen / Rawlinson, TAR.

An alternative would be to go 4 at the back Macari, Cameron, Baldwin, Chicksen, JoB, Austin, Nemane, Crowley, Jones with Langstaff up front with Jatta on the bench. 

We need to get the game won as early as possible and not drop the intensity off if we score like we did Tuesday. 2 or 3 up and I bet defending becomes a whole lot easier.

• Like 5

Supporter+

Accrington lost 4 in a row before they won 2-1 at Swindon on Tuesday. John Coleman's departure is still being felt I reckon. It will be a while before they are back on an even keel.

Notts cannot defend. This we know. Sam saved us from a battering on Tuesday. As mentioned above, we may as well go for it and try and score 2 or 3. We'll need at least 2 goals to get anything out of the game I think. 

• Like 7

The thing that really sticks in my memory from when we played Accy at home was how big they were. I guess on that day skill prevailed over size but we’re not going into this game with much, if any, momentum.

Robertson is suspended and will be big miss (granted Crawley wasn’t his best game) since his arrival once he’s settled into the team he’s pretty much been carrying the midfield. Hopefully Bostock will be fit (and fresher) for this one. I’m not sure I believe the rumours about a falling out that involves him and Didzy. Doesn’t fit either of their characters imo, and Didzy got taken off with an injury recently so that surely is the issue. If Bostock isn't fit shove Colkett in, what have we got to lose (expect actually losing of course). Maybe he’ll have a masterclass… Or get injured.

A back 4 or 3? It doesn’t seem to make much of a difference at the moment, I still think we look slightly more solid in 4 as we aren't as vulnerable to balls in the channels. But three CBs, Baldwin (hopefully), Cameron and Rawlo/Warner will help deal with their aerial threat, could possibly put Tobi in at RWB for more height too...

Am I confident of a win, no. I’m now into the territory of “surely we’ll fluke something at some point”. Hopefully that is this weekend.

• Like 6

In my opinion, Notts needs to play intelligently. It was fascinating to observe how much ball possession Notts had in the match against Crawley. I don’t believe that having 80% or a high amount of possession is a bad thing, but Notts needs to utilise it more effectively. If we are taking risks to advance and consequently losing the ball more frequently, then so be it. Notts just needs to be more strategic in their approach to the game.

I hope Sam Austin stays in the team, and I believe most players should start from the Crawley game. We need Jodi Jones to really push forward and attempt to take shots when the play opens up. This advice applies to all the players.

• Like 5

I’m hoping there won’t be many alterations to the team. Despite the loss, they put up a good fight and until Scott Robertson was sent off against Crawley, the game seemed to be in our favour. Sam Slocombe has proven his worth in the team, standing out with some crucial saves. Will Charlie Colkett get a chance? We haven’t seen much of him during his loan period here. I agree that Sam Austin has been excellent since joining the side. Most of the team picks itself, so I guess one of the current issues is the lack of robust replacements in certain areas.

• Like 3

the game could go anyway, we have no idea until the game starts but i am not really looking forward to it. i dont mind losing, but its just too much right now. everything is at the opposite end to what this season began like.

we have players who can score, assist and create chances.

yet we miss that glue in the middle of the pitch that allowed us to just hold onto the ball. in terms of squad selection, i cant see much changing. we had a bench that was quite defensive when we needed forwards, now we have the opposite. i really hope for a good performance.

• Like 2

We need to stay positive and rally behind our team and manager. The lack of point gathering of late is disappointing to say the least, but remember where we have come from and the blood sweat and tears shed both on and off the pitch. The whole family at Notts County need to be encouraged and applauded for all the hard work that goes on behind the scenes. Our team may be underperforming at the moment but with a little encouragement and positivity we will return to the good times soon enough. 

• Like 4

We had these well beaten in September but a lot has happened since then. Robertson has made himself indispensable and will be difficult to replace, we can only hope that Bostock will be available. Since he wasn't even in the squad on Tuesday, I'm not optimistic. Can only hope for a battling performance and some point at last.

On 13/03/2024 at 21:13, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

This is sacrilege. The wheelbarrow shall remain broken ;)

• Like 3

It finishes 2:2. 

I'll take that. At least it stops the rot. 

Another penalty conceded.

Changes in personnel needed in the close season, but we all know that before this game.

I had a feeling it would be a score draw.

• Like 4

Supporter+

A point away from home is welcome but it just papers over the cracks really. Accrington had over 20 shots and if they had a decent finisher, they would have battered us. Sam was excellent again. Jatta showing how good he is. That was the highlight. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dripsey3 said:

A point away from home is welcome but it just papers over the cracks really. Accrington had over 20 shots and if they had a decent finisher, they would have battered us. Sam was excellent again. Jatta showing how good he is. That was the highlight. 

But that's how it's been all season. This side only knows how to play one way and that's forward.

We are getting to an unprecedented situation goals scored 72, goals conceded 72. That tell you everything what the positives and negatives are.

We have to get to the end of the season then the rebuild starts. Players who are not up to this level will be gone.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

If anyone on here hasn't watched Sam Slocombe's interview on You tube, before today's game I suggest you go and watch it and all the Nay sayers should also go and watch it. This Guy as a eloquent and professional  attitude regarding the club  his fellow players and knows what is expected of himself and his team mates regarding the Fans expectations. He is also very humble stating his Man of the Match performance at Crawley was what he's paid for. Bravo Sam Bravo.

Once again another individual error cost Notts again today how many times as that happened this season? And the Magpies had two goalkeepers on the Bench, which shows how thin the Notts Squad is. So if it's Not the time to Blood the youngsters Now I don't know when it will be. Notts have nothing to lose just throw caution to the wind and Go For It.  Jatta as shown what he is capable of  with a Goal and an assist more of that please. The Magpies need to get Macca back into his scoring groove. It appears Jodi wasn't very happy being substituted as he disappeared straight down the tunnel I know players want to play the full 90+ minutes, but this sort of attitude only fires up some Fans even more against the Head Coach. At this present moment in time all the Players and the Staff need to show a United Front, and Personal Feeling Need To Be Put To One Side.

• Like 5

I believe Notts are secure in League 2 for another season. Nine games left and we just need to finish has high as we can. 

An encouraging performance from Jatta this afternoon. He's not fully fit but when he is fit he will be a good asset for Notts.

The issues continue to remain in defence, however the squad is too thin to correct these issues & only a squad rebuild in the close season will go towards correcting it 

Notts just need to battle through to the end  of the season, and play the only way this team can.

Stuart may decide to play some of the promising youngsters, but he will probably stick with the strongest side that's available to him to try to finish on the up if possible.

Accrington had 23 attempts overall and in the second half and there was a 30-minute period where we didn’t have a shot. So, I think I can just about count that as fluking something!

First half sounded a lot better than the second, when it seemed the ball just kept coming back. It sounded like we played more more long balls and struggled to keep possession for long periods.

Seeing lots of positives about Jatta, he’ll still be settling in but if he can keep his place in the team and keep performing well that’ll be something to be positive about for next season. I also read that Jodi went straight down the tunnel when he was subbed, no idea if it’s injury related or just frustration. By all accounts him and Nemane were managed quite well by Accrington for most of the game.

I’ll take a point after the run of losses. Hopefully it’ll provide a little boost for the players. Just playing for pride (and some of them contracts) for the few remaining games now. Let’s hope that can start a little bit of good form (but not to the extent where we miss out on the play-offs by a point or goal difference cos that would be bloody annoying!)

• Like 1