Does the Notts Squad need more League 2 experience?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,386
  • Days Won:  193
  • š¯•¸:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

This is a very interestingĀ  and revealing stat that the Notts squad were clearly lacking the top three when it came to squad League 2 experience.

I think that it clearly shows that we need to recruit experienced League 2 players for next season, to have a much better chance of being promoted from this league.

Ā 

• Like 1

Supporter+

I believe that the Notts squad do need more League 2 experience.Ā 

I believe that for this round of recruitment we should be looking to recruit from the EFL.Ā 

I admit that players that we have recruited from the lower leagues, like Langstaff have been a success this season.

But I believe that if Notts are going to challenge for promotion this season we need to look for players with either league one or league two experience this time.

As we have discussed before, we need to have players that can compete with the physicality of League 2, which was sadly lacking this season.Ā 

Experience is going to be the key this time. Notts need to prioritise League 2 experience in the summer transfer window.

Am I right or wrong?

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 4

Supporter+

Ā 

• 2 weeks later...

Supporter+

Have seen lots of speculation on here with differing opinions on who Notts should recruit with some good suggestions too.

This is the time when there is much speculation along with lots of click & bait stories on social media, with rumour running a mock about potential transfers.

Despite all of that, I still stick by my opinion that Notts need to go with recruiting players with lots of league experience this time with their ages ranging from the mid to late 20s to early 30s.

A player like former Wrexham defender, Ben Tozer would fit the kind of player I would recruit.

Notts wouldn't go far wrong in looking to recruit from players released by the three big promotion teams in League 2.

I hope the delay in Notts announcing any incoming players just yet, demonstrates that they are making sure that they get the right players in, that will serve the ultimate purpose of getting promotion next season.

Ā 

• Like 1

• Content Count:  8,982
  • š¯•¸:  twitter @piethagoram

I disagree @Robbieon Ben Tozer... we need a quick, versatile CB, comfortable on the ball. I don't think Ben matches that

• Like 5
  • Love 1

Supporter+
48 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

I disagree @Robbieon Ben Tozer... we need a quick, versatile CB, comfortable on the ball. I don't think Ben matches that

I think we need two tall, strong, tough & physical centre backs to joint the squad that know how to tackle and won't be physically bullied. We tried Warner who was billed as a player just as you described, but it didn't work did it.

Notts are going to have to be much more versatile than they have been this season. That means being able to change their style when it is needed to deal with the strengths of every team they meet.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,110
  • Days Won:  54

I think every team needs its share of experience and I guess if a player has racked up a lot of games in the EFL they should be good, so in theory yes. Thatā€™s not always the case though, it wasnā€™t long ago when we basically only signed players from the EFL and a lot of them, even the experienced players, werenā€™t very good.

I donā€™t think it matters too much how many games a player has played or what level they were at before, quite simply the question should just be are they good? I know itā€™s too easy just to say sign good players, but thatā€™s the truth. Jatta, Macari, Langstaff, Austin & Nemane hadnā€™t kicked a ball at this level before this season. Theyā€™ll be lots of players in the NL, youngsters with very little EFL game time and players from Ireland/Scotland that are more than good enough for this level, I guess the skill is finding and signing them!

And we really struck a load of misses with our loan signings last season too. It should basically be a chance to sign a talented youngster thatā€™s essentially too good for us but not ready for their own team. Iā€™m talking; Grealish, McGregor, Bola, Yates, Grant, Patterson etc. Iā€™m hoping we can re-address that balance this year.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  8,982
  • š¯•¸:  twitter @piethagoram

3 hours ago, Robbie said:

I think we need two tall, strong, tough & physical centre backs to joint the squad that know how to tackle and won't be physically bullied. We tried Warner who was billed as a player just as you described, but it didn't work did it.

Notts are going to have to be much more versatile than they have been this season. That means being able to change their style when it is needed to deal with the strengths of every team they meet.

So @Robbie, would you prefer that Rawlo stays?

Warner was too similar to Macari... The most important positions to fill are the middle CB, a king pin of a player needed that is comfortable on the ball. Yes, ideally, a tall, physically strong, a leader.

Secondly, another LCB to challenge Cameron

Ā 

Supporter+

@PiethagoramĀ I wouldn't have kept Rawlinson because league 2 was a step to far for him in my opinion.

Macari is a much accomplished player than Warner.

Like I said,, we need to go for experience and go for defenders and defensive midfield players that can compete with the physicality of League 2.

Sometimes pretty short passing football has to be put on the back burner when you are playing certain teams in league 2.

In other words, Notts have to be able to change their style depending on who they are playing.

Teams like Mansfield, Stockport and Wrexham recognised that.

I think Notts need to follow their example.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

i think quality will always be something that is the best thing for a ambitious club, football experience in general is a good thing and whilst we may have a few who have played higher and outside of the football league its quite mixed. we sign players based on them improving and that is the best method in my eyes, some league two players might not make the grade if promotion is gained and i just think quality signings are the best policy.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,310
  • Days Won:  17

What Notts need is a Leader on the Pitch and Kyle Cameron ain't it. This is something I feel strongly about and Yes I know I've been banging on about this for a Long Time, but it's true look at all the top teams and you can point to a certain player(s) who can lift their team mates when things get tough and inspire them and get the Best out of them, and help their team win important matches.

Experienced players are a must for Notts to progress this season and should the Magpies get promoted to League 1, I would hope that all Squad members data would be looked at and those players who or should make the Grade in League 1 would be kept on, while the others would be let go. And let us also hope if Notts do go up, that New Contracts aren't given out willy nilly to players who are obviously not EFL Standard.Ā 

• Like 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I don't think Kyle will be Captain next season because I don't see him any more than a squad player next term.

Yes we do need a leader on the pitch, and we need some players with league 2 or even league 1 experience in the side.

Notts have made a good start by recruitingĀ  Platt, who appears to be like an old fashioned defender.

Recruiting Platt demonstrates the Notts can pull in good experienced players that can cope with the physicality of league 2, something we desperately lacked last seasonĀ 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • š¯•¸:  twitter fmcj10

On 01/06/2024 at 11:22, Robbie said:

I don't think Kyle will be Captain next season because I don't see him any more than a squad player next term.

After the abuse some of our so-called fans gave him, I am not surprised that he has given up the armband. I doubt the club would have asked him to drop it, I firmly believe he handed it in based on much of the crappy comments I have seen directed at him from last season.

What are League Two players?

Whilst we were in the National League, head coaches of ours such as Luke Williams referred to players as the standard we were in - instead of ex Premier League, Championship etc. Whilst, I think the quality of a player shines beyond this label - technically we just need players who are easy enough to adapt to the standard. Good players will, some ageing like Connell Rawlinson won't make the grade, but he gives his all.

He may very well suit another League Two team's tactics better, once he has moved on, he may become a good signing for them. He's been a decent player for us, but it is time for us to seek better.

I have always said that teams sometimes need something a little different. I liked Terry Hawkridge when he was here and whilst he wasn't the best of players - he had something different about him. Players of his mould, that work hard might be branded x standard, but really they're just players who know their limitations, yet push themselves to be more consistent and good at what they can do. The same thing applies to Sam Osborne, I feel. He was never given a fair chance, and Kevin Nolan made a huge mistake by saying he was no better than what we had - when he was inexperienced and learning his place.

His fight and determination made things happen, so whilst some players might not be the best. It's good to have hard workers in your team, people who are different but at the end of the day, quality shines and if we can sign players from any league - then get the best out of them. That is the main thing, otherwise we will have fans complaining that they're not good enough, especially once we do gain promotion back to League One.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

At present, two of our defenders have experience in League Two and they appear to be of a higher standard. Iā€™m hopeful that Stuart Maynard, given the trust placed in him, can bring out the best in all the players. We need individuals who are resilient, focused, and committed. In past seasons, itā€™s been suggested that we need players with more Non-League experience, but weā€™ve been successful with quality. This notion seems to be reiterated simply because itā€™s a convenient label.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  3,556
  • Days Won:  9

No, we must sign the right players, not just those with League Two experience. Quality surpasses league experience, and some players simply need time to adapt. Players of higher quality are more likely to progress with the club than those with only League Two experience. Often, players stay in a division due to their skill level, which is what Notts should focus on when assessing. Statistics can be misleading and shouldnā€™t be the sole factor.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,310
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

You can't fault the signings Notts have made so far, on Paper anyway the Magpies have a Good Look about them. I wouldĀ  however like to see the signing of a Experienced Player in the Jim O'Brien Mould, someone in the 29-31 year old age group, who's been around the Leagues, who can keep a Cool Head in Times of Stress and Pressure, who knows how to game manage and be a Calming Influence to the Younger Players in the Team. Someone Players Can Learn From and Respect.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

Notts are bringing in more players from League Two who not only have experience but also the potential to play at a higher level. The team seems poised to develop significantly over the next two to three seasons. Itā€™s an exciting and very positive prospect!

• Like 1
  • Love 1