Historic Nottingham

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  510
  • Days Won:  1

It’s lovely to see old photos of Nottingham. There are some fantastic Facebook communities that share these vintage pictures. You don’t get to see them often unless the Nottingham Post picks them up.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,074
  • Days Won:  17

Nottingham as of course many Famous Historical  Stories. Standard Hill, is were Charles II raised his Standard, which Declared the Start of the English Civil War , between Charles Royalists and the Parliament Forces lead by Oliver Cromwell.

And the Trip to Jerusalem was the Favourite Pub of  the Christian Knights off to Fight in the Crusades. 

Let us Not Forget Nottingham is the Home to the World's Oldest Professional  Football Club.  Notts County . (Thought I'd put that in)

• Like 8

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  561

I think it's pretty cool seeing old pictures, especially the unusual ones. I can imagine some people might have wondered why they were even taken, but they end up being special in their own way.

• Like 7

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,427
  • Days Won:  15

This image may not have been a contender for any ‘Photo of the Year’ accolades, even in its time. However, for those who hold a fondness for the past and have an interest in railways, it’s a priceless treasure. It’s a timeless capture of Nottingham’s forgotten history. A truly golden piece of nostalgia!

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,680
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
5 hours ago, B&Wstripes said:

It’s lovely to see old photos of Nottingham. There are some fantastic Facebook communities that share these vintage pictures. You don’t get to see them often unless the Nottingham Post picks them up.

Absolutely @B&Wstripes I love seeing pictures of old Nottingham, however it’s slightly worrying when you can actually remember the place as it was in the photo. :panic:

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  510

15 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Absolutely @B&Wstripes I love seeing pictures of old Nottingham, however it’s slightly worrying when you can actually remember the place as it was in the photo. :panic:

There’s a website available that enables you to track historical changes. It’s quite popular among the Dead Road/Street communities. Observing these changes, particularly the shift from local shops to shopping centres, supermarkets, and retail outlets, can be disheartening. However, it can also be an interesting journey to embark on at times.

• Like 6

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,147
  • Days Won:  154
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I used to live with my mum and Dad on Isandula road, Basford until I was 4. My Dad worked at Wollaton Pit. I can remember the big gas works at the bottom of the road that held the old Coal gas.

My elder cousin worked at Bairnswear at the top of Isandula Road. She used to stop at our house during the week while working there. 

My parents used to shop on Hyson Green High street, there were lots of small shops, like the butcher, the greengrocer & the fishmonger. The old TSB Bank was across the street. People used to buy all their groceries from little shops then.

My dad used to take me to Noel street baths or Victoria baths because he was a keen swimmer. Taught me to swim when I was very young.

I can remember me and my mum catching a trolley bus into Town, Why did they ever get rid of them?

Really good memories of the Nottingham in the early sixties, how the City has changed since that time.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

i have seen a lot of changes to clifton, a lot of things which has actually improved the area and made it feel more closer to nottingham itself.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This is right down @super_ram's alley. He spends a fair bit of time looking through pages with old pictures of Nottingham, Derby and his hometown of Alfreton.

I also like seeing images of Nottingham.

A few years back, I remember looking at pictures of Skegness that various pubs had in frames. Some of those remind you just how quickly things can change. These days, not all the changes are for the better. I love things like this being shared, as I have mentioned previously, I was unaware Nottingham had other train stations.

• Like 4

Supporter+
2 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

My grandfather was a "father of the chapel" in Station Street. 

Was your grandfather in the printing trade @Piethagoram? I was Father of the Chapel at Derry and Sons on Canal Street for a while.

For those that don’t know a Father of the Chapel is a union rep and a chapel is a branch for of that particular union.

In the printing trade my union was the National Graphical Association (NGA) every printers had a chapel and a father. Each year the Father has to be voted for by the members of the chapel.

Sounds weird now.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Fan of Big Tone Yes, Father of the chapel for Boots, printers section  in Station Street...and yes, it was for the NGA too!

• Like 3

Supporter+
5 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Fan of Big Tone Yes, Father of the chapel for Boots, printers section  in Station Street...and yes, it was for the NGA too!

I wondered if it was Boots printers, I nearly said that. Was he a compositor or a printer? I was a compositor.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

@Piethagoram where the tram now goes over near the train station?

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,319

I adore looking at old photos of Nottingham. The city changes so quickly, it’s fascinating.

• Like 2