Match Discussion: PSF - The Minstermen (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Dissapointing result once again.

People will tell me that the final result of pre season games don't matter but to me they DO matter.

In the last two games we have conceded 5 goals in the last two games after leading those games.

Taking off your best holding Midfielder 30 minutes into the game isn't the best decision I've seen Stuart make.

Wins give a team confidence. Keeping clean sheets gives the defensive unit confidence.

The positive. Jatta is showing that he can be a worthy replacement for Macca.

The negative. Scott hasn't got on the score sheet yet.

We've conceded 5 goals in two games. Not good 

In my book you have to try to win all your games. It creates a buzz around the team and the supporters, and gets other teams thinking.

Does Maynard know what his best team is yet? I'm not sure on that one.

• Like 4

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’m more concerned to hear Crowley was withdrawn injured, I sincerely hope it’s nothing serious.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

Supporter+

Stuart Maynard's reaction to the match against York City this afternoon.

• Like 3

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  17

Sorry to Sound Negative, but Questions about Stuart Maynard are going to Start being asked Again. I Agree with You @RobbieNotts should be Winning Matches like this and Victories Build  Confidence within the Team and Belief Amongst the Fans.

As you say @Fan of Big Tone  Dan Crowley coming off is a Big Worry, lets hope it's just as a Precaution and he'll soon be Back. Because if he is injured with both him and Matt Palmer unavailable, for the Start of the Season, Notts are going to Start off on the Back Foot.

• Like 1

Once Again the Notts Defenders instead of Tackling the Opposition they run along side or away from them. Echo's of Last Season?  Hasn't Anything Been Learned? It's No Good being on Top for 80 minutes as in Germany or 45 minutes like Today. Matches are for 90+ minutes. Another thing I have noticed about those two Matches, once a Goal Against Notts goes in Heads Drop and the Magpies become More Vulnerable to another Goal. Where's the Leadership on the Pitch? Oh of course He's Now Coaching in Sheffield.

• Like 1

Supporter+

Remember these goals were scored against Notts when we had possibly our best back three playing together. Maynard took off our best holding Midfielder, Robertson in the first half for a trialist.

I'm not trying to be negative but we have to be beating teams like York City. Apparently we were playing tippy tappy football and passing back to Bass quite a lot.

My other concern is Scott. Is he going to be the same player he was before his injury?.

Notts are running out of friendly games and fast approaching the start of the season.

For the next game Maynard needs to play his strongest side for most of the game in my opinion.

• Like 2

Did You Notice how far Bass came out of his Goal  to set up the passes which lead to Notts Second Goal. You will Also Notice there are No Notts Defenders  covering the Magpies Goal if Bass had lost the Ball. Playing Tippy Tappy Football is Wrong for Notts and if they go on Playing that way, instead of Pushing For Promotion, the Magpies could Find Themselves in a Relegation Battle.

I  was thinking  @Robbie as Scott Fully Recovered from his injury? Then again he as  to learn how to play along side Jatta and that may take Time. Once he does find the Back of the Net, I think other Goals will come.

• Like 2

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

I’d say we are ticking over quite nicely, we’ve got the bodies in CM now and I’d want to see Robbo, Edwards and Palmer get a bit more game time this coming week as it should be 2 from the 3 starting come Tranmere.

Scott perhaps understandably will take a bit of time to get back in the swing of things considering the amount of time he was out injured. The good news is Jatta is looking very sharp and if he carries on like he has when the real matches start I think the worries about Macca’s replacement will disappear.

I’m not overly concerned with the result, it’s meaningless and all the players know it – they’ll just be wanting to build up their match sharpness and avoid a potential injury.

• Like 7

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  493
  • Days Won:  1

Numerous alterations were made around the 70th minute, but there’s no cause for concern. It’s pre-season, and the players are still getting into their stride. Kudos to York for their comeback, but I’d be content with a draw in a friendly match any day. Has there been any update on why Dan Crowley was taken off? How severe is his injury?

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  455
  • Days Won:  2

Low camera angles of goals can either be visually appealing or quite dreadful. The footage doesn’t portray York City in the best light; it’s captured rather awkwardly. I’d prefer to see the goal from a landscape perspective, from a reasonable height but close enough to discern who’s doing what.

Regarding the result, we ended up with a draw. So what? I believe York deserves recognition and their players will be striving to catch their manager’s attention.

I’m confident that our players will adapt and learn from this experience. If the club has any quality footage, it’s something they can review during upcoming training sessions. I’m not convinced our goalkeeper could have done much about the first goal they scored.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

Ok it's a Preseason Friendly, No League Points at Stake. But isn't there a worry that Notts are 2-0 against a National League Side an instead of going on to Score more Goals, and Secure a Confidence Boosting Victory the Magpies end up drawing 2-2.  Stuart Maynard seemed far to casual in his Interview, surely by now he should have his Starting XI ready for the opening Game at Tranmere and they should be playing in these last few Friendlies.

• Like 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

It's not just about the first 11. Notts suffered last season due to lack of squad depth, & more importantly, lack of strength of squad depth. 

In modern football, it's important that players that come on to the field of play as a replacement are as good as the ones they are replacing, or are at the very least, capable of changing a game.

The successful clubs do have players on the bench, that can do just that. Man City & Arsenal are prime examples.

From what I've seen so far, I'm not convinced that Notts have that scenario just yet. Do you?

• Like 1

• Content Count:  1,701
  • Days Won:  36

I’m not (yet) massively concerned over results as it is pre season and the squad is almost totally new. I’m more concerned over the lack of minutes played by some key members of the squad.

Palmer and Tsaroulla won’t be fit to play 90 minutes till September looking at things.

Robertson is coming back from an injury and is obviously behind fitness wise at the moment, but he should have been given 45 minutes and not 30 as he is a must need player this season.

Scott could take quite a while to regain his confidence of putting himself in situations where he may get clattered, he’s probably holding back as not wanting to get injured again.

Altogether, the games won’t have the intensity of a league match as no player will want to get injured and I fully expect the defence to be tighter during league matches.

I’ve known Notts to have some pretty good pre seasons in the past and then go onto struggle in the league, but the lack of fitness is leading me to think that we won’t get off to a great start, but should get a lot better after a few weeks.

• Like 5

The Senior Squad at Notts is 20 players.  And with Matt Palmer and Nick Tsaroulla both still inured then the number is down to 18. That's not enough. The Magpies first Match is August 10th so between Now and Then the Club need to sign another Four Players (that's the number often quoted) Four players in 13 days that's a Big Ask, Four New Players who have to learn the type of game Notts play over 1 or 2 Preseason Games. I would have hoped the Squad would have been settled by Now and Preparations for the Season more or less Sorted.  24 Senior Squad Members plus a Couple of Academy Players, to Choose From.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

There's no need to worry about the results of friendlies, I've seen us go through pre-season unbeaten only to get relegated the following season. There was some very casual defending for the goals, which you wouldn't expect once things get started in earnest.

It's about building fitness and giving the new players an understanding of playing together, so I'm concerned that we don't seem to have a settled midfield yet. It's looking increasingly likely that Palmer won't be in the starting 11 when the season starts, which is also a bit disappointing. Against Peterborough I'd like him to feature and Scott to score a goal.

How did Edwards play yesterday? 

• Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

there is not something to fight for, when points are on the line players try harder. its like meaningless cup games, we dont go out to lose but there is little drive. i am not worried about conceding two goals, you do tend to give players more time on the ball and yorks first goal was a very well placed effort.

it was a good game, notts played some great stuff at times and we did not seem out of ideas when it came to creating chances.

• Like 3

Currently have 19 senior outfield players @Wheelbarrow repair man, unless you know something we don’t 😉🚰👃?

We can sign another 3 and then we’ve hit our limit of 22, but personally only expect one more through the door, and we’ll leave space to see what the squad needs after the season has started.

Not sure how league rules dictate the under 21 squad members as Hinchy was still 20 on January 1st so we may have room for four more? Not sure if the rule is general or club grown  players have to be under 21?

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

Some highlights for those that are interested. Oh and the trialist midfielder was apparently Jake Taylor, he came through Forest's academy before playing for Port Vale and Morecambe.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

We look a lot more creative going forward, in addition to looking comfortable playing the ball out of the back. It was nice to see Jacob Bedeau put in so much effort to track back. Whilst, his decision to put pressure on the York player wasn't the best from a defensive point of view. The desire to get back has been lacking from the squad in previous seasons, just having someone race back towards you can put pressure on attackers. It would have been better had he stayed on the ball side and avoided any potential shoves. I do give him credit for making that defensive run.

York's first goal was a beauty, that was a cracking strike!

Their equaliser is typical Notts, our keeper should have covered more of the goal and although it was very direct. He could have got to the ball, but really the defence needs to cope better with those situations. It was very poor, but friendly isn't something to worry about.

• Like 2

@Fozzy

19 or 20 players, (I said 20 because someone stated it on PON) It simply isn't Enough. As I said in my Previous post a Squad of 24 Senior and two Academy players, should be sorted now ready for the Season's start.

@menzinho

Thanks for the Highlights upload. Just watching these clips  Notts defenders still hang off attacking forwards instead of tackling them. New defenders seem to be playing a system that's Alien to them it looks like they aren't playing their natural game and if this isn't sorted quickly Notts could find themselves struggling playing a "Model" that doesn't suit them.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

You can't have 24 senior players @Wheelbarrow repair man, 22 is the maximum. We'll no doubt leave a couple of slots empty so we can bring in targeted reinforcements in winter, as many other teams do as well.

It should also be plenty enough providing we don't have a long injury list. Time will tell on that one. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man.

According to Google 

Clubs in League Two are limited to a 22-man squad, although that number does not include goalkeepers or players who were under the age of 21 at the start of the calendar year.

So Notts can still play players above the 22 allowed who were under 21 on 1st January.

That's why it's important to have good juniors to come into the side like Sanderson & Reynolds.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Robbie said:

Clubs in League Two are limited to a 22-man squad, although that number does not include goalkeepers or players who were under the age of 21 at the start of the calendar year.

Thanks @Robbie, that implies that Hinchy won’t count as one of the 22 for this season as he was only 20 on January 1st.

• Like 2