Match Discussion: League Cup - The Shrews (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,269
  • Days Won:  80

League Cup - The Shrews (A)

Team: Shrewsbury Town

Date: 13/08/2024

Where: Croud Meadow

What line-up should Stuart Maynard opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,441
  • Days Won:  164
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Notts had a positive result at Tranmere & it would be great if Notts can do the same against Shrewsbury.

It's a Cup match so I'm sure that Stuart may make a few changes to the starting 11 to give the squad players more playing time.

I would prefer that Notts field their most strongest side initially because it is important that Stuart's first 11 continue to gel as a team.

If the players are fit I would continue with the same 11 that started against Tranmere. 

I know that people always talk about the possibility of a player getting an injury, but that applies to any game or even on the training pitch 

A clean sheet against Shrewsbury would really boost the confidence around the squad, & Notts are due to have a good result against higher opposition.

Let's try to get a good cup run going that can bring in some extra revenue for the Club.

If we don't concede any goals I would be very happy. A 1:0 win would be great.

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,055
  • Days Won:  54

We’re a bit hampered by injuries at the moment so whilst I think Stuart Maynard would like to make some changes, he might be limited by who he can pick. Rod McDonald, Robertson, Gordon, Tsaroulla and even Palmer could be missing.

I’m hoping this might be the first time we see Palmer though, I think a first round second level cup is a good time to get some game time. I’m sure we’ll see a few changes though, Slocombe in goal could be one, he’s not had the best pre-season but Stone has barely featured at all. I’d start Cundy so you can rest one of the three centre backs that started against Tranmere. And I'd start Edwards, Grant and Didzy too, that way a few are rested but the team is still pretty strong.

I’m not particularly fussed by the Carabao Cup (is it still called that?) to be honest but I’d like to beat Shrewsbury because our last showing against them was comically bad defensively and I need that memory to be erased and replaced with a win!

• Like 4
  • Love 3

• Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

The squad will likely see some rotation, though I’m not sure where. I doubt Jodi Jones will be dropped. It might be worth keeping Adam Chicksen in, so he can keep working on his role. I think the changes will probably be in the midfield rather than in the defence or wing-backs.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i forgot about this, so i wont be able to attend the game. :(

i hope we make sensible changes but dont weaken our lineup, its important we take the league and fa cup seriously. shrewsbury will be a challenge but we have played them and know what it takes to perform well against them.

• Like 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's important we don't just throw a lot of youngsters out and expect them to be able to perform well against a decent League One team.

I would afford the chance for one or two to come into the team, either starting or coming on from off the bench. I think Shrewsbury will keep to their habit of countering, so defensively, it might be wise if we avoid making many changes here. Just smart decisions, as not to weaken us. It's important that early on we allow certain players to get minutes in and to further help their form. By making changes, especially by allowing Matty Platt and Jacob Bedeau to sit it out, I think it's a big change since they're both new to the team. I would suggest Lewis Macari could rest, then bring someone else in.

As for wing backs, Jodi Jones has to be in the team if he's 100%. I wouldn't play Adam Chicksen, I thought he was very disappointing against Tranmere and looked like a weak link. He did some nice things, but would waste any chance he could have to influence the game by poor crosses, taking a player on when a pass is the better option or knocking the ball out.

We could probably rest Jatta, although I think his height would be of use.

Perhaps we should start Conor Grant? Keep Jatta up top.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Supporter+

It's Matchday.

• Like 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  567
  • Days Won:  2

I wouldn’t know what lineup Stuart Maynard might choose. He has the option to rest some players ahead of Sunday’s game. He might choose to stick with the same team as Tranmere and use the subs as a way to rest. I mean, there are many days between now and Sunday.

• Like 4

• Content Count:  143
  • Days Won:  0

It’s going to be difficult. We need to avoid further injuries, but at the same time, I don’t think straying from the squad that played against Tranmere would be wise. I would probably make a few alterations as a way to see if someone coming in can offer more from the start. I have a feeling that David McGoldrick might start.

• Like 3

Supporter+

This is the Notts team for tonight's match.

Dissapointing that Bass isn't playing and it doesn't appear to be our strongest 11 starting. We will have Jatta, Crowley, Scott and Platt included on the bench.

• Like 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

I'd have played Bass to help him settle in, but apart from that it looks like a strong team and a strong bench. Three players make their first start for us, I'm particularly interested in what Edwards has to offer. 

• Like 1

Supporter+

Match begins.

CMON U PIES 

GRANT!!!

• Like 3

Good start by Notts, at first it sounded like Shrewsbury were piling on the pressure and trying to keep it in our box. Next thing, we break and score! Conor Grant in the right place, with a good assist from Jodi Jones.

• Like 3

Supporter+

AUSTIN!!!

• Like 2

Jodi Jones and David McGoldrick both presented chances to get Notts 2-0 up, however, it's Super Sammy Austin who pulls it off. Superb bit of play by McGoldrick, who made up for his one-on-one miss.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

very pleased with how notts are playing, its showing how important it is that we are defensively solid. yes shrewsbury had one a chance to score that went over but we are 2-0. we are managing the game well, making shrewsbury work. notts needs to keep on top of it.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

2-0 up, there is still a long way to go, but we have to be happy so far.

Shrewsbury having only one close effort, Notts seem to be performing hard and working well together. It is good to see the players pulling together as a squad and showing that we can rest players in order to give others a chance. Stuart Maynard, he does deserve some of the praise for his selection. Not many fans seemed pleased by it, but it's a good game, and we need to rotate players. Good decision by our head coach, it seems!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Half time.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

So far so good, Notts playing well but I doubt Shrewsbury will let us have it our own way in the second half, Notts need to concentrate now and keep a clean sheet.

• Like 3

Supporter+

I think this guy might be right.

• Like 2

I have to say, David McGoldrick sounds like he's performed very well. I don't like being critical of players, but an assist and clearance in our half to stop Shrewsbury pulling one back. Involved with most parts of the game, this is what you want to see from him! I do think we had a tendency to over play him, which I did mention as potentially being part of his poor form towards the end of last season.

Credit to McGoldrick for his performance so far.

Notts sound like they are working hard as a team, I hope we can keep another clean sheet. That would be huge!

• Like 1

Triple subs, Jodi Jones coming off.

Dan Crowley, Cedwyn Scott and Matt Platt on.

Supporter+

Shrewsbury reduce the deficit with a Notts defensive mistake unfortunately.

Supporter+

Those three substitutions haven't gone well 

Notts concede from a cross.

• Sad 1

Let's keep in mind they are a League One team and subs can change games, what looked like a sensible change by Stuart Maynard could be part of our undoing. Shrewsbury are coming into it more and more, they have made changes I believe, so it's all to play for. Whilst I am disappointed that we have conceded two quickly, it's a cup match and these can swing in favour of the home team very quickly.

Their fans were getting on their backs, now they are very loud in positive chanting.

• Like 1