Another Striker?

Feral Fox

NOTTS County could be set to raid the emergency loan market in order to cope with Jimmy Spencer's suspension.

The Magpies will be without the forward in the next three games after he was shown a straight red card in the 3-2 defeat against Shrewsbury.

His ban has left Notts short of options up front and they could add a fresh face before the weekend's trip to Rotherham.

Assistant boss Greg Abbott says he and manager Shaun Derry are scouring the market but accepts finding quality at this stage of the season will be tough.

"We are going to be without Jimmy for the next three games which leaves us a little short and naturally we would like to address that if we could," he said.

"When we lost Ronan (Murray) for three games after he was sent off at Peterborough and now Jim, it's certainly not an ideal situation to be in at this stage of the season.

"But Jim Rodwell, Ray and Aileen Trew have been brilliant and they've given us their full support. The problem is that finding that quality at this stage is difficult because clubs are reluctant to let players go, especially those at the top.

"But we will keep trying and searching. The one thing we won't do is give up."

Notts do have forward Enoch Showunmi available, but he has had to make do with a place on the substitutes' bench after losing his place to Spencer.

Kwesi Appiah, on loan from Crystal Palace, could also come into contention after extending his loan deal from Selhurst Park last week. Abbott says the striker can count himself unfortunate not to have broke into the starting 11.

"Kwesi's attitude has been absolutely spot-on and can count himself unlucky not to have started really," he said.

"He's got a lot of ability which is why we wanted to keep him."

Read more: http://www.nottinghampost.com/Notts-County-raid-emergency-loan-market-striker/story-20705104-detail/story.html#ixzz2uS2bsdYv

Copied from the Post today.

Not sure its worth it now we have Murray back in contention. We either play these guys or release them tbh. If they aren't good enough then why keep them. Appiah is a prime example. Now my anger over the weekend has slowly subsided, he needs to start a match in a positive formation to see if he can cut it or not. If the answer is not then why bother extending the loan? We have too many loans already dont we?

Well we have Enoch and the palace lad, are these not good enough?

I know what the vast majority will say but it's all about confidence, we need to make the most and only really do we need a striker if we face an issue. We play one, so unless another gets injured and it's for cover... I don't see how the emergency loan can be the quality we need?

It depends who it is though and IF...

Enoch & Appiah are both, pretty much, a waste of a shirt.

I've seen enough of Appiah to know that he has no instinct for goals, is far too lightweight for this division & he just isn't what we need at the moment. Enoch is just hopeless, full stop - you may as well play anyone from the crowd, they'd be just as effective. If I never see him a Notts shirt again it will be too soon!

Murray, despite his flaws, is the best option by a mile. At least he is lively, causes defenders problems and has an eye for goal. Clumsy ball control & questionable skill level aside, he is light years ahead of the other 2.

Why not give Colby Bishop a shot? He's scoring goals for fun in the youth team & from what i've heard he has that knack of being in the right place at the right time so why spend money on someone else's unproven quantity when we have our own which won't cost anything and might put a few more on the gate given his background?

He's played one full game in the last 18 months, it'll probably take him this full month to get match fit.

This is the biggest worry about the whole thing for me. not age, not previous goal scoring record, not even previous injuries. Simply the fact that there is no way he is match fit. We can't afford passengers at the best of times, let alone now.

Archived