Transfer committee

Fan of Big Tone

Supporter+

Just listened to an interview with Ray Trew who says that the way they get new players is to change, there will be a committee of six people who will talk about possible targets but the manager will have the last word.

What do you think of this, I believe the team across the Trent had a similar system a few years ago which was hugely criticised.

I'm not sure exactly what this means. If it means that coaches such as Kevan, Tommy J and Dean Yates double up as scouts or are able to have an input into identifying players, this can only be a positive thing.

As far as I was aware, coaches around the club could always recommend players to be signed, so not sure how much this would change things. 

Supporter+

Looking in the bargain bins for players is looking in the bargain bins, no matter how many people are looking. What's needed is a realistic budget at League 1 level. Not a League 2 budget and crossing of fingers.....

Supporter+

True, but we haven't had much look finding them. A League One budget is a must if we are to make any sort of progress.

Looking in the bargain bins for players is looking in the bargain bins, no matter how many people are looking. What's needed is a realistic budget at League 1 level. Not a League 2 budget and crossing of fingers.....

Exactly! Quite why you need 6 people is beyond credibility. Who is accountable - who gets fired for the mistakes and who is responsible for the successes?

It is change for change's sake - because we've continually appointed people who wouldn't spot a decent footballer if they fell over one!

Exactly! Quite why you need 6 people is beyond credibility. Who is accountable - who gets fired for the mistakes and who is responsible for the successes?

It is change for change's sake - because we've continually appointed people who wouldn't spot a decent footballer if they fell over one!

Charlie McP could spot a decent footballer. His tactics were crap, however. 

Provided the manager's say is final and wages don't come into it (unless the budget is close to being blown), I don't see a problem. Mr Trews already stated that Moniz will have the last say, so I don't see how having people who can recommend players is a bad thing. I personally think it fails when there's a conflict of interest and if you have 6 people accessing a player, then you have more views to weigh things up.

It might prevent us from signing some of the less favourable players we have had in recent years.

What is the point of this committee? If it were to be filled with 6 people Moniz knows and trusts implicitly then maybe but otherwise it will basically be six people taking more wages out of the club that we can't necessarily afford.

Let Moniz bring the people he wants to into the club and trust that these people are the ones who should be making the footballing decisions

Supporter+

What is the point of this committee? If it were to be filled with 6 people Moniz knows and trusts implicitly then maybe but otherwise it will basically be six people taking more wages out of the club that we can't necessarily afford.

Let Moniz bring the people he wants to into the club and trust that these people are the ones who should be making the footballing decisions

I think it will be people already employed by the club so no new wages involved.

I would assume the six would consist of the Chairman, the CEO, the manager, the Assistant Manager, the Chief Scout and maybe one of the coaches.

I think it will be people already employed by the club so no new wages involved.

I would assume the six would consist of the Chairman, the CEO, the manager, the Assistant Manager, the Chief Scout and maybe one of the coaches.

Possibly correct with your assumptions re the six minus Moniz himself.

Maybe it is the way of previous ego's that were employed by the club that they were shut off to player suggestions from the chairman, to then go in the complete opposite way would seem a little flippant in the least, having said this though again we all are going off the minuscule information that the club publish, maybe they should release a little more info as to how this is going to work, ie, is it going to be led by the manager in direction of player required or is it going to be just a once a month style meeting?

In one massive way this could provide the club with a much bigger scope of available players in another we could end up missing out on players due to the inability to move quickly 

It seems a lot like a gimmick to me, just leave the manager to decide, unless the committee plan to actually watch the players they decide to form an opinion on. Watching a player train or seeing them about the ground only paints half a picture and without being fully framed, I just fail to see the point.

Archived