Cash, debit card or credit card?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Which do you use when buying goods. I use debit card a lot but when possible I use credit card which gives me points and cash back. I have a direct debit set up to pay the full amount every month so that I don't have any interest payments.

I rarely use cash these days.

What's your preference?

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Debit card and cash. Cashback from my debit card so no need for a credit card. My debit card works in most countries as well.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

debit card and once cash. Don't use credit cards at all now.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  627
  • Days Won:  11

Credit Cards whenever possible, paying it off in full each month.

If it's a company I like, I might use the debit card as I understand they have lower costs for the company.  So for my Notts season ticket I'd put it on my debit card.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Debit card and cash, I don't deal in credit because the whole principle of the idea behind it is to allow people to overspend, with the idea of making further money from off the interest. You see people approach credit cards like 'It's my money' and 'Oh I'll just get it on the card'. If you have the money pay for it outright, don't apply interest to a purchase because you will soon find it's the banks money in which are using.

Obviously I am referring to the extreme cases but it's very common.

In fact come Christmas, I am sure I will hear more comments about purchasing presents via credit cards than I will people who have started early and paid with cash.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I use cash but because of my age.

Supporter+

Debit card and cash, I don't deal in credit because the whole principle of the idea behind it is to allow people to overspend, with the idea of making further money from off the interest. You see people approach credit cards like 'It's my money' and 'Oh I'll just get it on the card'. If you have the money pay for it outright, don't apply interest to a purchase because you will soon find it's the banks money in which are using.

Obviously I am referring to the extreme cases but it's very common.

In fact come Christmas, I am sure I will hear more comments about purchasing presents via credit cards than I will people who have started early and paid with cash.

I agree credit cards can be very dangerous for people who have no self control on their spending but if you budget to pay off the amount in full it won't cost you a penny in fact if you get a cash back card they actually pay you for using it! Credit cards also have the benefit of insuring your purchases should something go wrong.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I agree credit cards can be very dangerous for people who have no self control on their spending but if you budget to pay off the amount in full it won't cost you a penny in fact if you get a cash back card they actually pay you for using it! Credit cards also have the benefit of insuring your purchases should something go wrong.

You get the same benefits with debit cards, provided it's a card which pays for the purchase you have the proof to back up your problems.

The worst case is paying for electrical items via cash and losing the receipt.

Supporter+

You get the same benefits with debit cards, provided it's a card which pays for the purchase you have the proof to back up your problems.

The worst case is paying for electrical items via cash and losing the receipt.

No you don't @notts-joe, if you make a large purchase (say a TV) with a credit card and the company goes bust the bank will reimburse you but not if it's a debit card. Likewise you have more protection with a credit card if goods are faulty, you will be reimbursed by the bank.

We had a problem with some bunk beds which were damaged when they were delivered, the company refused to take them back but luckily we had bought them with a credit card so we contacted them and we were reimbursed, I think it's section 75 of the sale of goods act.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350
  • Days Won:  1

Supporter+

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

no comment from me, i think putting into plastic is daft. i cant wait for paypal to become so widely accepted, so i can just use that when i go out.

i buy everything online anyway, you are protected better that way.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

Credit card but also debit, as I find I use that more.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I try not to use my credit card, as it does encourage spending and I am wary but it is so easy to use. Also, I only shop at reputable stores so I don't worry about returns etc.

Archived