The Americanisation of our language

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I'm sure we've touched on this before but we have lots more readers now so worth mentioning again.

I have noticed that our language is slowly becoming Americanised, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The other day on a thread @notts-joe referred to a movie, now when I was a lad it was a film which you saw at the pictures.

Other examples:

Biscuits have become cookies

Mum or mam has become mom.
Nappies are swiftly becoming diapers.
Sweets have become candies.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples, have you noticed any? Is it a bad thing or don't you care?

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Maybe I live in a sheltered world, but I have never heard an English person say "mom" or "diaper". You often see the word "candy" on sweet wrappers but you very rarely hear it said out loud. Films/movies are a fairly new thing anyway, and most films we watch are made in the US.

A lot of spellings people think of as American are actually the historical British forms, "analyze" being an example. In this case it's British English that has changed over the years, not American English. "Mold" - the US version of "mould" - has been around since the 16th century! Then you have the spellings that were deliberately changed as a political act to distance the US from Britain - color/colour - which you only notice on paper anyway.

It does bug me a bit sometimes when I see it but to be honest language evolves. We're susceptible to the cultural influence of the US, but we're not the only ones. Usage of English words in German is becoming ever more common and frankly I find it worse. It's just so jarring to see the word "gefightet" when they have their own perfectly good word for it ("gekämpft"). Hopefully it's just a passing fad.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Ooh,@tonyhateley,@super_ram gets just a little bit annoyed(understatement) if British announcers/newsreaders/personalities use Americanised words or phrases.He's one to talk though the way he mangles the Queen's English with his Derbyshire accent.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

There's only a few words which I use that are 'American', this argument could sway back to the form of English and it's domination across countries. Films no longer exist due to technological advantages and so, I use a word more suited to it.

I've never heard a child or person refer to anything other 'sweets', unless 'candy' is referred to within its title.

It's something everyone does from time to time however.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

A Marathon is still a bleddy Marathon... what is with the Snickers rubbish

it is like ordering a coffee..... I asked for a medium white coffee... is that a regular or a large? hmmmm hang on I may blog about this...

A Marathon is still a bleddy Marathon... what is with the Snickers rubbish

it is like ordering a coffee..... I asked for a medium white coffee... is that a regular or a large? hmmmm hang on I may blog about this...

And Opal Fruits not Starburst !

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

There are lots of these.... and you can read more on Sunday ;)

There are lots of these.... and you can read more on Sunday ;)

Old grumpy and me are both very much looking forward to this.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,290
  • Days Won:  69

I'm sure we've touched on this before but we have lots more readers now so worth mentioning again.

I have noticed that our language is slowly becoming Americanised, is this a good thing or a bad thing?

The other day on a thread @notts-joe referred to a movie, now when I was a lad it was a film which you saw at the pictures.

Other examples:

Biscuits have become cookies

Mum or mam has become mom.

Nappies are swiftly becoming diapers.

Sweets have become candies.

I'm sure there are lots of other examples, have you noticed any? Is it a bad thing or don't you care?

I used to go to the flicks at one of the local 'flea pits' or to the pictures-never movie.

Ooh,@tonyhateley,@super_ram gets just a little bit annoyed(understatement) if British announcers/newsreaders/personalities use Americanised words or phrases.He's one to talk though the way he mangles the Queen's English with his Derbyshire accent.

It doesn't bother me so much an American using Americanisms,that is the way they speak naturally.What annoys me is British people trying to be clever/showing off.They don't go on holiday,they take a vacation.They don't eat chips ,they eat fries.AArgh there are loads.

Supporter+

It annoys me when people greet me by saying "hey", I've only just got used to "Hi" instead of "hello".

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

when does the moaning turn to fast food? lol  :lol:

• Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

I dont see the fuss myself, I think chav talk is more annoying.

I refer to sweets.

Fixed what I meant to say.

PS. You also refer to wigwams as tents!?! ;) Which do you prefer? Blue or Red? :P

• Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I was like listening to Americans recently, like. They were like, oh my GOD. I was like WHAAAAT.

• Content Count:  124

I can live with words and names being changed or spelt wrongly, English is a living language and it will grow and mutate to meet our needs.

It is when our heritage or the truth is being threatened by the US influence that it worries me.

Saint Nicholas was a Greek who gave money away and became Santa Clause. Father Christmas wore a heavy coat, trimmed with fur as he was based on the Norse gods and was invented to replace the pagan celebrations around the new year. Coca-Cola merged the 2 In their advertisements, and a character who has been around since Christianity hit the UK and survived being banned by Oliver Cromwell, has been lost to sell fizzy pop.

Bonfire night - Celebrating the victory of the state over terrorists - has been swallowed up by Trick or treat, an American invention based on demanding money with menace.

Hollywood never let the facts get in the way of the story, and in doing so, are changing a lot of peoples view of history. William Wallace - Brave heart - never sacked York. The Royal navy captured an enigma machine from a sinking U boat, not the US marines. The US lost in Vietnam, and Rambo cant change it . Their are many more stories disguised to be fact, and people are being brainwashed In to  believing them.

I don't say sweets

I don't say candy

I am a Notts lad and they will all'es be tuffies.

Now if I can work out  how  I can  stop the   corruption  of the truth !!!!!!!!!!!!!999

Fast talking american's can drive me crazy, as I've said before 'Hey' is actually quite friendly and I prefer using it myself.

I was like listening to Americans recently, like. They were like, oh my GOD. I was like WHAAAAT.

Did Mrs DangerousSausage write the above? LOL ;)

• Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  1

I dont see the fuss myself, I think chav talk is more annoying.

Innit [emoji12]

Regards Al

You Pies!

Supporter+

Gotten instead of got also annoys me.

Supporter+

Oh Tony, lighten up mate. You cannot take things this seriously!

It's not that serious @AmericanPie, I don't lie awake thinking about these things, I've got other things to think about that keep me awake but it is mildly annoying and it's worth discussing.

Supporter+

Another pet hate is when you ask someone "how are you" they reply "I'm good", shouldn't that be "I'm well", after all they might be bad but still be well.

Archived