Claims to fame

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Right folks, have any of you got interesting claims to fame?

I've just told my colleague that my sister's friend's parents used to live next door to Jarvis Cocker. That practically makes me his brother. Of course, she's totally starstruck now. My parents also met Tony Blair and Gordon Brown, but that's less interesting.

What about you?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I sat next to Alvin Stardust's cousin when I worked in Chesterfield.

When I was around 14 I met Arthur Askey on the seafront at Southsea and he patted my mum on the back. @super_ram and @GrannyPie will remember him.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I appeared on 2 quiz shows on TV over here in Ireland. Won both times.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I used to be Sven's best friend, when I worked somewhere he visited - he would often speak or ask about me (this annoyed my GM). I have a few interesting ones but I'll hold off, but the Sven one is up there.

It was fun seeing this GM annoyed right @jsrjay. ;)

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

I have quite a few football ones, otherwise through one of my sisters I have met a lot of musicians over the years. Quite an eclectic bunch let me say that much!!

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

Met Nigel Mansell in a hotel lift in Albufeira, Portugal, Donald Sutherland on the dock-side in St Tropez (the year he starred in Eye of the Needle, 1981), Lawrie McMenemy at Chelsea in 1993 when he was England assistant-manager, John Charles up at Leeds when I was hosting the exec box there, Brian Bolus "For those of you who saw me bat... let me apologise" several times at Trent Bridge when I hosted the Home Brewery cricket days.

Great memories.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  124
  • Days Won:  3

I was going  in to a motorway service station when I came face to face with a ginger haired man slightly shorter than me, It was Paul Scholes, of Man U. The normally quiet man put his hand on my shoulder and spoke to me. Loud enough for my mates to hear, but looking at me, he said:-

"Will you get out the way" 

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

On 12/12/2015 at 16:00, Piety said:

I was going  in to a motorway service station when I came face to face with a ginger haired man slightly shorter than me, It was Paul Scholes, of Man U. The normally quiet man put his hand on my shoulder and spoke to me. Loud enough for my mates to hear, but looking at me, he said:-

"Will you get out the way" 

He obviously didn't know who you were Piety....if he did, he would have asked for your autograph!

• 3 weeks later...

• Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  0

On 11 December 2015 at 18:40, notts-joe said:

I used to be Sven's best friend, when I worked somewhere he visited - he would often speak or ask about me (this annoyed my GM). I have a few interesting ones but I'll hold off, but the Sven one is up there.

It was fun seeing this GM annoyed right @jsrjay. ;)

Oh yes I don't think they were best pleased.

Sven was a nice guy though very willing to talk always polite.

• Content Count:  109
  • Days Won:  0

Working in the trade I do  I've met many a famous people.

Sven as mentioned by @notts-joe

I worked on a wedding some of the guest were Roy Keane Steve Stone Ian Woan and Fred Reacher (forest chairman at the time)

I've served Lionel Ritchie

Paul Weller I've had the pleasure of serving

Worked on another wedding where kylie Minogue and Jason Donavon were in attendance

For the older ones amongst us I've even served Gary Wilmot

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

12 minutes ago, jsrjay said:

Working in the trade I do  I've met many a famous people.

Sven as mentioned by @notts-joe

I worked on a wedding some of the guest were Roy Keane Steve Stone Ian Woan and Fred Reacher (forest chairman at the time)

I've served Lionel Ritchie

Paul Weller I've had the pleasure of serving

Worked on another wedding where kylie Minogue and Jason Donavon were in attendance

For the older ones amongst us I've even served Gary Wilmot

I hand delivered a letter to Jools Holland - When asked if I liked his music, I lied about not knowing who he was (this is so I didn't say no). LOL

Shane Warne and a host of well know Australian cricketers nearly cost me my job at a former hotel (my first job). They had a food fight at breakfast, I was the only front end staff on duty and they had the whole of the restaurant to themselves. After they heard about me being b*llock** by a man who had six months off work for slipping off a chair whilst changing a light bulb, Shane gave me a signed cricket ball and bat (only for my then manager to take it off me).

Sol Campbell once said I was like him (despite the fact I didn't quit my job, even when my employer played games with my pay).

I almost got in a fight with Chris Jericho - @jsrjay should remember that. I didn't like how he pronounced 'Nottingham' and said the city sucked (only Rushcliffe does).

I once appeared on local and national TV, when they came to interview pupils regarding my school being the worst within the UK - when they asked me what I thought about the school being closed down/potentially knocked down - I replied 'It's a shame they couldn't do it today, it's already starting to fall down'.

I recall Jsrjay saying he had served somebody a Rich Tea biscuit, though that's not quite famous.

I'm going to quit whilst I am ahead.

What a miserable boss you had Joe.

I once gave Neil Warnock a tour of Coventry University. Plus I am a bit of a radio star: I appeared on Radio Nottingham after winning a letter-writing competition, plus I used to make guest appearances on a local radio station in the Coventry area as my flatmate was a reporter for them.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

One of my house mates at Uni  was Mick Hucknalls girlfriend so to wake up in the morning sharing cornflakes with Mick Hucknall is a bizarre experience. Though to be fair the guy was a complete tosser (apart from when he decided he needed more luxury over at ours so paid for new furniture, New kitchen gadgets and a massive tv!)

Lots of cricketing stories from working at Trent Bridge, mostly involving drink etc... the nice one was that I went shopping with Richie Beanaud when he needed a new suit! Lovely man!

Lots of music ones too as I spent a lot of money over the years following bands on live tours. I remember once  being in a pub after an Erasure concert in Leicester and Andy and Vince came in for a drink. Didn't have anything for them to sign so they offered to buy the drinks and signed my ten pound note that I was paying with at the bar. Suffice to say that was framed, not spent!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

one of my relatives was a fairly well known singer in the late 60s. 

That's intriguing @liampie...

Of course, I come from a showbiz background myself. My mum's friend was in Pan's People on Top of the Pops and my dad went to the same school as the lead actor in Kes.

Archived