Best & Worst decisions by Ray?

AmericanPie

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

If you summed up the best and worst decisions by Ray what would you choose?

Best

1. Avoid admin after Munto takeover
2. Invest monies off the field
3. Attempt to rally the fans by kind acts of gestures

Worst

1. Blame the fans for his/the clubs failings
2. Use social media and the other site
3. Itchy finger syndrome

Now you?

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  2

The first four months were his greatest moments, and the appointment of Mad Dog!

Worst: his continued quest of trying to find the next Eddie Howe, although he did nothing at Burnley and is backed by a Russian Billionaire at Bournemouth so is he actually that good?

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Melikepie I would say Eddie is very good. I would have him on the list for next England manager. What I would say that Eddie is a good judge of a player. The pity is that so much of Ray's money has been squandered by various managers, especially on  forwards ...Burgess, Haynes even Izzy.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

4 hours ago, AmericanPie said:

If you summed up the best and worst decisions by Ray what would you choose?

Best

1. Avoid admin after Munto takeover
2. Invest monies off the field
3. Attempt to rally the fans by kind acts of gestures

Worst

1. Blame the fans for his/the clubs failings
2. Use social media and the other site
3. Itchy finger syndrome

Now you?

To rescue the club the way they did deserves great credit , and without taking it into administration to do shows great integrity to the many who were owed money .            The off field investment is creditable , and has improved matchday experience.         Sadly on the negative side of this the hire and sack mentality has had a huge impact on the football side , more stability from the top in that regard may have helped .         The division between club and fan base that we have now is intolerable , bridges need building and my own feelings towards that is maybe with better interaction with the fans much of this could have been avoided .     Don't feel social media is the ideal place for owners to do that though , more from the club direct for me .    Sorry to go on so long 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

Pretty much agree with yours @AmericanPie

Best:

1. Buying and Saving the Club

2. Cotterill

3. Backing his managers in the transfer market however flawed.

Worst:

1. Jamie Fullerton - Can't deny it, the single worst appointment for being totally the wrong time

2. Kiwomya - What he saw, nobody else did. We all new it was wrong after being in charge as a caretaker.

3. Probably his interaction with fans, tried to be too pally at times, which has worked against him. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

3 hours ago, Melikepie said:

Worst: his continued quest of trying to find the next Eddie Howe, although he did nothing at Burnley and is backed by a Russian Billionaire at Bournemouth so is he actually that good?

He got Bournemouth promoted twice without a billionaire, so I'd say he is! He certain ly isn't a cheque book manager.

In any case, RT seems to want to strike gold with a completely leftfield appointment, a la Nigel Adkins. Trouble is, Adkins was remarkable because he was such a rare case. And even he hasn't been successful everywhere!

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

Best:

- Saving the club from Munto, not putting the club into admin and appointing Steve Cotterill. People wax lyrical about the Munto team, but without these three acts by Ray Trew it would never have left League Two. In fact, the club may have gone under completely.

- Appointing Martin Allen the following season to save our skins.

- Backing Curle with the signings of Bogdanovic etc. in the second half of 2011-2012. Very nearly resulted in a play-off place for the Championship.

- Investing in the club, giving Meadow Lane some much-loved love (it really did look rather sad in places in 2010).

Worst:

- Not employing an experienced manager to use the momentum we had after promotion, and then firing Craig Short after barely a dozen games and replacing him with Paul Ince. Nearly cost us our League One status.

- Employing a succession of inexperienced managers, who broke up a good team and eventually did cost us our League One status. Culminating in the current clown and us having to be grateful that Dagenham and York are so rubbish despite having built one of the most expensive squads in the division.

- Not having a consistent philosophy for the club. Appointing Short stating that he wanted a Liverpool-style boot room and then sacking him and Kevan after 13 games was laughable. Tightening the budget in League One only to start throwing money around again following relegation. And just recently, the players having to switch from flowing, attacking football to hoofball virtually overnight.

- Communications with the fans. I always felt un comfortable with him discussing potential signings and current club employees in public, it went too far at times and put him right in the firing line when things turned. And the club statement blaming "oh-so-brave keyboard warriors" for him selling the club (despite having been in negotiations for months before that) was deeply unprofessional.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,996
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Best

1 - Avoiding administration is no doubt the best thing, it allowed us to gain promotion and secure the Championship winning season. That buzz was amazing, I truly wished we had have stuck with it - as we could have built from it. @erindoors deserves credit for this, as I recall Mr Trew going on record saying he would have placed us in admin if it wasn't for her words.

2 - Investing not only in the MLSB, Executive boxes but also the squad. Signing Alan Judge was a massive boost, one which I never felt was realistic by a long shot but it was secured.

Worst

1 - Not having a proper business plan for taking the club forward.

2 - Not securing Steve Cotterill's services for longer - I wasn't Steve's biggest fan but I respect what he achieved and what he can do.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

The positives:

- No admin.
- MLSB is a great hub for Notts fans for years to come (hopefully)
- Various other off the field work

The worst is a long list that has been largely covered by those above.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

Best:

Saving us from what could have been absolute disaster (I'm talking non-league) post Munto.  This single act should never, ever be underestimated.

Investing in the infrastructure of the club to try and generate more non-match day income.

Having a plan to make the club self sufficient - not sure if it worked but still a great idea.

Worst:

Giving the manager's job to Kiwomya permanently despite an unimpressive caretaker spell.

Appointing Fullarton despite massive opposition from the supporters - this is a decision that was undoubtedly the straw that broke the camel's back for many (me included).  

Getting involved with messageboards and social media.  It was great at the start when we were doing well to get news and updates straight from the horse's mouth, but it was always going to end in tears.

• Content Count:  65
  • Days Won:  1

Best

Giving the club a reputation of being a caring club that goes out its way to help people or groups of people who are less fortunate.

I'm happy to leave it at that because that's how I will remember the Trews.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,773
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

12 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

Best:

Saving us from what could have been absolute disaster (I'm talking non-league) post Munto.  This single act should never, ever be underestimated.

Investing in the infrastructure of the club to try and generate more non-match day income.

Having a plan to make the club self sufficient - not sure if it worked but still a great idea.

Worst:

Giving the manager's job to Kiwomya permanently despite an unimpressive caretaker spell.

Appointing Fullarton despite massive opposition from the supporters - this is a decision that was undoubtedly the straw that broke the camel's back for many (me included).  

Getting involved with messageboards and social media.  It was great at the start when we were doing well to get news and updates straight from the horse's mouth, but it was always going to end in tears.

@Elite_pie "spot on" as usual. 

I would add just slight disappointment for not proceeding with refurbishment of Haydn Green Stand...

http://www.williams-architects.co.uk/notts-county-football-club.html

I still have real doubts over the recruitment policies / scouting / succession management / alleged signing of players without medicals

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

12 hours ago, Elite_pie said: Best:

Worst:

@Elite_pie "spot on" as usual. 

I would add just slight disappointment for not proceeding with refurbishment of Haydn Green Stand...

http://www.williams-architects.co.uk/notts-county-football-club.html

I still have real doubts over the recruitment policies / scouting / succession management / alleged signing of players without medicals

This would have been amazing

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Content Count:  71
  • Days Won:  2

Apologies for the double post, I'm on my phone. Have we actually purchased the training ground? I thought we were just renting it from Arnold?

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,996
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Melikepie no worries at all.

My understanding is that Arnold was struggling to cover their costs, we wanted a training base and the club ended up renting at as a base for two years. However, after the first year (the first one marked the friendly where Spencer got injured) - the club decided to move to Hucknall's Rolls Royce as the base. The reason was said to because the players didn't like using 'Arnold' but I've also heard a few different things. However, for one reason or another the club remained, yet they do an agreement with Rolls Royce.

I think after this year, RR may become our training base.

Yet the club doesn't own either and we never have had training facilities which have been our own, not even under Munto. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,909
  • Days Won:  162

best

avoiding admin this would have ruined the club and probably ended the promotion hopes.

putting the club up for sale. i write this because its a decision which has the best interest not only for himself but the club and fans.

worst

sacking countless managers, never needing to make an excuse here did he? he took full responsibility.

hiring the wrong managers, this seems to fall on other peoples shoulders imo but hes the main person i point finger at.

blaming the fans. its so easy to blame supporters, its the oldest trick in the book.

not putting the club up sooner for sale, when do you say enough is enough when your losing money?

Archived