Are Newport the team to watch?

I kept a keen eye on other scorelines last night. Leyton Orient look out of reach now - I wouldn't bet on them catching us even if we lost all our remaining games. But Newport have now won two games in four days and are now 8 points behind us with a game in hand. In a week's time they could potentially be within shooting distance of us. That said, they've beaten Crewe and Morecambe - but they now have two matches against promotion-chasing opposition coming up with Blackpool and Luton (their game in hand).

If we keep doing what we're doing and picking up points they can do what they want anyway. But I wouldn't mind us being able to relax a bit in the last weeks of the season. Or am I getting old and boring?

I think two more wins will see us over the line now. In 2013-14, 50 points were needed, but by this point that season the team in 23rd, Northampton, already had 6 points more than Newport have now (38).

I think they are going through the new manager 'bounce' again, like they did under Westley for a few games, but cannot see them getting more than another 12-15 points in total hopefully. They do have a couple of hard games coming up, but if they do get anything from those, they have a far easier run in than we have!

Interesting , agree @Fozzy  getting the benefit of new manager lift , next couple of games could maybe put a halt to any revival , let's hope it's not them or us on the last day of the season , if you are getting old @DangerousSausage  then i am also want our last couple games stress free please , but we are NOTTS we don't do that , :hyper:

Newport are a typical poor League Two team.

I think the bottom two teams will struggle to get the points required to survive as they will need the teams above to fall dramatically in form. Orient are doomed due to all the chaos. Newport stand little chance because they are just average.

A lot rests on tonight for Newport. Win and they'll be just 4 points behind Cheltenham so it'll be game on. Lose and they can still entertain thoughts of catching them, but they'll need to win four times to catch us assuming that we lose all our games - in reality more like 5 or 6. That's highly unlikely but stranger things have happened.

I'm having mood swings about this. I just remembered that we're at Newport on the final day. So they need to make up 7 points on us in the next 7 games to be able to leapfrog us on the final day. My worse nightmare is us having to go there and get a result.

Of course, we have a big headstart. And if we get just 7 points out of our next 7 games (that's two wins, a draw and five defeats) they'll need 14 (four wins, two draws and one defeat - championship-winning form) over the same period to even take it to the final day. And then they'd need to beat us.

Let's just win our remaining matches!

Newports remaining fixtures are:

Portsmouth A

Crawley Town H

Exeter A

Yeovil H

Plymouth A

Accrington H

Carlisle A

Notts H

I can't see them getting anything out of Portsmouth, or Plymouth away. They might get a result in one of Carlisle, or Exeter away, but they are really relying on winning their last four home games to have any chance. I would say that the only games I would make them favourites in are Crawley and Yeovil. Accrington are flying at the moment, but may be ready for summer by the time they play them and we have now shown that we're up for the fight.

I think that if they get 14 points out of the 8 games it will be the maximum return, which means we need 5 more points, but I think that one more win will be ample and we'll get that either this, or next weekend!

there is 8 games left? i cant see much changing both teams have left it late.

newports last six games: l,l,w,w,l,d
orients last six games: l,l,wl,l,l

hartlepool seem safe now, plus they have better form then both newport and orient. as does cheltenham who is the only team i can see slipping.

If Portsmouth beat Newport you might as well consider them relegated.

They have several tough fixtures coming up and I just fail to see how they can survive. Cheltenham have it easier for sure and it looks like Leyton will join Newport in the conference. Thankfully we are fine now.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought I'd dig this up again as Newport are now only one point behind Hartlepool (and 11 behind us) with four games to play. They really have a chance now and they're on form.

The end-of-season showdown I was worried about would require no less than three straight wins from Newport and a collapse in form from us. But it looks like we'll be playing an indirect role in the relegation battle anyway.

Archived