Match Discussion: Game 40 - The U's (H)

PON_News

Game 40 - The U's (H)

Team: Colchester United

Date: 01/04/17

Where: Meadow Lane

130px-Colchester_united.PNG.db804bd8335f

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Like 1

I'm looking forward to this game, Meadow Lane should be quite lively for it and I can see us winning.

Colchester are a funny team, though as usual if we play our passing game - I see no reason as to why we couldn't score two to three goals. I just hope its entertaining, our crowd deserves that and I hope to see early signs of no nerves.

I'd like to see Adam Campbell given a chance to prove himself, if we don't soon - it will be hard to see how we can retain him.

• Like 1

after beating wycombe 1-0 we probably struggle to score, so it will probably be a draw.

Colchester are one of those teams I dread seeing in the prediction league as they're so inconsistent. They've won four, drawn one and lost five of their last ten (our own form is 6-2-2). If we keep doing what we're doing this is a winnable game.

@notts-joe Adam Campbell has had plenty of chances to prove himself. From what I've seen he's hard working but one dimensional, but he is still young.

• Like 1

Adam Campbell has done well for Notts.

It would be nice to see him mixed into a steady Kevin Nolan side, he hasn't had that but managed to get us goals before. He's not a winger, we are not Arsenal and we should play him as a striker simple as that.

Colchester are nothing special but the game will favour those who are braver and work for it. I can see it being a draw also, so lets hope for entertainment and good officials.

4 hours ago, liampie said:

after beating wycombe 1-0 we probably struggle to score, so it will probably be a draw.

It seems to work out like this but take the game as it comes.

I would predict a draw myself.

Personally I see it that we should be able to play with freedom in our play no anxiety as we have room to breathe points wise , mathematically not safe i know , but for me we can go out and play , entertain , and take the points , 2-1 to Notts :twitch:

I would like to see Bola back in the side, if he's fit enough, i'm not predicting a score, just going to say I hope Notts win! COYP.

• Like 1

I'll be setting off soon, fingers crossed for an entertaining game and nobody leaving during the half time. It would be a shame if people ended up missing goals and a much more entertaining 45 minutes.

It will be interesting to see the player ratings after the game, though I still feel like we might not win.

A draw wouldn't be bad.

Heading to the lane soon, looking forward to an entertaining game. I expect the starting 11 and any subs to be fired up for this. Come on You Pies!

Excellent performance excellent win , well deserved , some very good attacking play , well done Notts , coyp .

• Like 3

The last few home games have been a different level of enjoyment for me, not just because Notts have performed very well in the games but because the atmosphere was brilliant and the fans are really up for it. I love speaking to people, even random people and I get a lot of people approaching me. In fact before the kick off, I spoke to a 75 year old fan who was quizzing me about my camera.

Have to say I loved hearing the stories of former players, reminded me of the past when I heard tales of legendary Notts players.

As for the game, we started off very smooth and confident. Even after 2-3 minutes you could tell how much we wanted to win and I was pleased for Hollis after getting the opening goal. Only criticism for me would be Carl Dickson and Adam Campbell - along with our inability to defend crosses. Colchester had all the time in the world to float or drift in passes, we neither attempted to block, put them off our head the ball away.

If players are self aware about heading, then they need to get closer.

Dickinson acted like he was a left back, I felt he played very poorly today. Yet Adam Campbell really hasn't earned my recent backing, he looked idle and very uninterested. Seriously he barely moved and would constantly tell others to get tight (despite the fact he never did).

Great team performance overall and very dynamic midfield play for us which was both enjoyable and lethal to watch. AND WE HAVE TWO STRIKERS WHO CAN BAG GOALS WHEN PRESENTED CHANCES. Brilliant result.

Also credit to @Modern Notts Fan 🔥 who put up with me. I'm also told I met @wacky (who I hope to say hello to properly in the future) COYP!!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Chris said:

Dickinson acted like he was a left back, I felt he played very poorly today. Yet Adam Campbell really hasn't earned my recent backing, he looked idle and very uninterested. Seriously he barely moved and would constantly tell others to get tight (despite the fact he never did).

Funny how people seem to see the game differently, that's why I like the player rating threads to see who agrees with me and who doesn't.  I don't get the "Dickinson acted like he was a left back" comment - he was a left back!  I thought he had a solid game and played his part in making sure Adam Collin had a fairly easy time.  On to Adam Campbell, I think the one aspect of his game you can't knock is his effort.  His poor first touch and his use of the ball means he's always going to struggle at League 2 level, but he covered a lot of ground today and closed down their midfield well.  He just doesn't have the physical stature to impose himself on games, so I don't think we should retain him.

1 minute ago, Elite_pie said:

Funny how people seem to see the game differently, that's why I like the player rating threads to see who agrees with me and who doesn't.  I don't get the "Dickinson acted like he was a left back" comment - he was a left back!  I thought he had a solid game and played his part in making sure Adam Collin had a fairly easy time.  On to Adam Campbell, I think the one aspect of his game you can't knock is his effort.  His poor first touch and his use of the ball means he's always going to struggle at League 2 level, but he covered a lot of ground today and closed down their midfield well.  He just doesn't have the physical stature to impose himself on games, so I don't think we should retain him.

I should have wrote 'Centre Back' instead of Left Back. He avoided it like the plague!

He was beaten virtually every time, when covering corners - he hung onto players behind (he should be in front or level). It allowed players to beat him even in the air, he did okay going forward when he did but mostly he was very disappointing. Watch their goal, he should have cleared the ball and after even had the nerve to blame Hollis. LOL

Adam Campbell made no effort today, he was bone idle and very disconnected from the team.

Poor distribution but one good shot that was blocked.

• Like 2

@Elite_pie sorry but i've got to agree with @Chris Campbell looked uninterested, poor and just lost, he just didn't seem to fit into the team.. 

As for the rest of the team perfect, as much as I dislike Dicko he had a good game, needed help at times but he did alright. 

Duffy and Hollis was solid, look a strong pairing. Ameobi, Stead and Grant always looked a threat going forward. Milsom as usual went about his business quietly and efficiently as usual and Hewitt was solid too..

Campbell is not a winger i said this to @chris any decent winger worth his pay would exploit that spave use pace and be direct to the full back he didnt.

He hardly did anything he just got paid to watch

• Like 1

I think we can afford to have two players play poorly, I do agree with the article @Chris wrote but thought Carl Dickinson did okay considering.

At the end of the day it was a comfortable win.

C8g8lmLXYAAqZuI.jpg

A few months back, some fans would be ripping into him for this but the case is he was simply a spectator. I'd have done more!

I stand by the above, not to single him out but hopefully he will work on his performances.