What was your first job ?

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

So my question to you lovely people is what was your first job.?  

(The young magpies what job would you love to be your first job) 

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  18,302
  • Days Won:  28

full time mum, one which i really enjoy doing.

I was planning on becoming a nursery worker but that didnt go to plan because of circumstances at the time.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

i work in a warehouse, we handle and ship separate packages.

We also store huge pallets for later distribution so a lot of the work is manual. i have enjoyed it up until recently i just feel bored and unsafe now, i am set to back next monday but part of me just wants to quit now.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

I have only done temp work and agency work so far, a mix of things from handing out leaflets to working at the ice stadium on event nights.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I worked as a waiter at the Strathdon Hotel.

During my time and in my experience it wasn't a nice place, but it gave me a foot hold towards a career and I did progress despite the place being filled by people who was pretty lazy. I'll always remember a lot of the celebs I met there and of course the time the Australian cricket team almost got me fired because they had a food fight. 😆🤣

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,895
  • Days Won:  5

I don't have a job yet but after school, I want to go to college and then into car mechanics. 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,350
  • Days Won:  1

The first job I had only lasted for 6 months as a painter and decorator just after leaving school, I helped my uncle and the work was pretty boring when you do it day in and out.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
5 hours ago, Chris said:

Blooming eck Strathdon Hotel that’s brought a flood of memories back for me, it used to be our favourite watering hole when I was at Trent Polytechnic (now Trent University I think) Anyway after college me and some mates used to pile into there and drink Newcastle Brown till we were legless, me and a mate used to rush to the juke box me to put Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones and him to put Maggie May by Rod Stewart on. This obviously was well before your time @Chris but thanks for evoking the memories.

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

My very first job was when I was 13, a paperboy, does that count? I used to take a sack full of the Nottingham evening post into the City Transport bus depot on Bunbury Street in the Meadows and flog them to the mechanics and drivers who worked there.

Later my first proper job was Apprentice Compositor at a printing firm in Nottingham my first wage was £5 5 shillings or £5.25p to those who’ve never heard of a shilling. I started on 12th August 1968 and that led to a lifetimes career in the Printing Industry with many different companies and a lot of ups and downs.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

23 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

Blooming eck Strathdon Hotel that’s brought a flood of memories back for me, it used to be our favourite watering hole when I was at Trent Polytechnic (now Trent University I think) Anyway after college me and some mates used to pile into there and drink Newcastle Brown till we were legless, me and a mate used to rush to the juke box me to put Brown Sugar by the Rolling Stones and him to put Maggie May by Rod Stewart on. This obviously was well before your time @Chris but thanks for evoking the memories.

The bars nice, even the one upstairs but the restaurant honestly wasn't very good.

One day when I can, I'll go back and book a room just to see who's knocking about from when I worked there. I imagine most have gone, as they was too old fashioned and lazy. 👍 The hotel was purchased by an American chain but there was took of it losing a lot of money. It never looks busy as you pass though.

2 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

My very first job was when I was 13, a paperboy, does that count? I used to take a sack full of the Nottingham evening post into the City Transport bus depot on Bunbury Street in the Meadows and flog them to the mechanics and drivers who worked there.

Later my first proper job was Apprentice Compositor at a printing firm in Nottingham my first wage was £5 5 shillings or £5.25p to those who’ve never heard of a shilling. I started on 12th August 1968 and that led to a lifetimes career in the Printing Industry with many different companies and a lot of ups and downs.

5 hours ago, Joshua said:

I don't have a job yet but after school, I want to go to college and then into car mechanics. 

Good luck mate I’m sure you will do just fine mate 

7 hours ago, Chris said:

During my time and in my experience it wasn't a nice place, but it gave me a foot hold towards a career and I did progress despite the place being filled by people who was pretty lazy. I'll always remember a lot of the celebs I met there and of course the time the Australian cricket team almost got me fired because they had a food fight. 😆🤣

Catering can be a pain as we both know mate 

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I worked in printing when I left school, I stayed with a family owned company until I was 22.

These days I wouldn't be needed, back then you had to make sure nothing jammed, the ink didn't leak and the paper was well stocked.

Archived