Ruben Rodrigues signs for Notts

Piethagoram

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'll be looking forward to seeing him play, hopefully, he's a direct player who likes to take on players. We could do with someone with that type of creativity because it puts the fear of god into the opposition.

Imagine him speaking in Dutch to Enzio, and the opposition are clueless as to what they're discussing.

Hopefully, the first of many good recruits but as I say, I am happy. COYP!

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,935
  • Days Won:  162

very happy with the signing, i think he will bring some difficult qualities that english players might not have at his age. i look forward to seeing him.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

A cunning plan by the club. They will make a fortune off his name on shirts! Seriously though, his stats look good. He should do well at this level. 

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

This is a very interesting signing. He could be a revelation or sink without a trace.

Looking at his stats (click here), he made the breakthrough into Den Bosch's first team this season, getting 12 goals and 10 assists in 27 games. That's impressive, but the second division in the Netherlands isn't comparable to ours. He spent most of the previous season on loan in the (semi-pro) third division, and has also spent time playing for Den Bosch reserves in the delightfully named Hoofdklasse A Saturday. He usually plays just behind the main striker, so it'll be interesting to see where he fits in at Notts.

Oh, and can I call him Rodders?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Yeah, we kind of went down this route before with Moniz and Branston. Swerts, Amevor, Snijders and Jenner all came from the Dutch leagues - there's your sink without a trace right there. That was in a completely different and terrible period though... And I'm pretty certain none of them had stats like Rodrigues.

With the new owners and new style of recruitment you'd hope we've plucked out another gem, alongside Ardley they haven't really made a bad signing.

Looks like he's quite a versatile attacking player too which is always useful. Here's to hoping he can continue assisting and scoring with us now!

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

Very excited by this. Looks a very astute piece of business. Can play anywhere across the attacking front four positions. Could also signal a change in formation.

The planning and scouting that goes into every signing now gives me so much confidence in the management team and the board.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

On 07/08/2020 at 19:54, menzinho said:

Yeah, we kind of went down this route before with Moniz and Branston. Swerts, Amevor, Snijders and Jenner all came from the Dutch leagues - there's your sink without a trace right there.

Exactly this. These signings were largely hit and miss, albeit at L2 level. However, I have much more faith in our scouting department that we did then, so you have to put faith into those who made the decision and hope it's the right one. Clearly he has been identified by Football  Radar, the stats add up, and Ardley was convinced. That's good enough for me. 

I will reserve judgement until I see him play though - youtube highlights don't suffice. 

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,141
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

On 10/08/2020 at 11:41, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Exactly this. These signings were largely hit and miss, albeit at L2 level. However, I have much more faith in our scouting department that we did then, so you have to put faith into those who made the decision and hope it's the right one. Clearly he has been identified by Football  Radar, the stats add up, and Ardley was convinced. That's good enough for me. 

I liked Gill Swerts, he played effectively and well in midfield.

When pushed to right back he did a job, I felt he made a good squad member. Likewise with Genero Snidjers, a player who seemed underrated by the management he played under, but overrated by some of the fans. I actually felt he was a capable winger, he had pace which some fans questioned.

The other two mentioned players, one did okay but nothing special.

Whilst JJ hoped he could make a contribution, and spoke openly about his injury issues. In his first interview, he spoke about wanting to get fit and to just try to settle in.

These types of gambles are always something Notts should be mindful about.

Ruben Rodrigues isn't the average signing, he's at the right age to adjust and make a difference. From his training, he seems sharp and ready to take on the physical National League. 

Archived