Amongst A Hardys biggest mistakes in his own words

Piethagoram

3 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

Alan Hardy

@Bigalanh5

·

3m

Biggest Mistakes; 1. Not sticking with KN 2. Sticking up for ourselves against Forest 3. Not buying Yates and Grant for £100k

Quote Tweet

"Not buying Yates and Grant for 100k"... a whopper of a mistake ..

Thing is, I don't really believe what AH has to stay.

I was always an advocate for sticking with Nolan, and I still do believe that was a big mistake. 

I would've thought that keeping off social media would've been further up his list though.

No way, would Forest accept a bid of 100k for both players. I doubt we were ever seriously interested in signing either on a permanent contract, AH is just trying to draw back some attention he got whilst being the chairman.

Kevin Nolan or, whoever might have enquired but I would bet it stopped there.

On the KN front, Hardy is at fault for sacking him because many of the board objected to the idea and, he did it behind their backs without anyone else knowing. A good deicison is usually based on taking in other peoples feedback. The fact he did it via a text I believe, it just shows what a joke Alan became.

The Yates/Grant thing is unbelievable in both meanings of the word! 

100k for both! Really? Pompey were going to offer 500k for Yates at one point! And if it was true - he would've paid it. Surely!? That whole team was carried by the both of them - 50k for each is a steal. He would've know there resale value would have been huge.

It still haunts me to think about him talking about 'that season' and promotion as being a 'dead cert'... There's a fine line between arrogance and confidence - he was so far over it that he couldn't see it! I reckon even if we'd have been midtable halfway through the season he'd have sacked Nolan..

Sacking a manager (who had got us into the play-offs) so early in the season is ridiculous. Would not sacking him so soon have made a difference to the outcome? Possibly, but not necessarily.

As for Yates and Grant, words fail me. I find it hard to believe that we could have signed those two players so cheap. If we did turn down the opportunity, only to pay a bigger sum for Enzio a matter of months later, it speaks volumes about Hardy's judgement.

Agree with @menzinho and @DangerousSausage. As regards Dangerous, we tend to forget that Nolan's record from January wasnt that good. Mike Edwards comments on @TheMagpieCircle excellent podcast hinted that Richard Thomas was "the brains". The money "wasted" that summer on "assets" where defensive "liabilities" remain unresolved

Archived