Sounds like Effiong will be returned to Stevenage

Piethagoram

Yep, never really got going here, equally didn't always get that much game time but no point keeping him around if he's not going to feature. I wonder if we'll bring in someone else? Bit of an odd scenario we've still got plenty of games but the EFL is nearly done - would appeal to someone who wants to prolong their season.

Wolfe has also returned to Barnsley and I assume Richardson will be heading back to Sunderland soon. We did go a bit OTT bringing in RB's, especially as it's Enzio's new position now 😂

Effiong going back is poor timing in the sense that KW is now having an enforced rest break.

I’d expect Sam and Knowles to lead the line with Knight on as sub.

It’s a shame as he came with a credible report and I expected him to add a bit of steel to the front when KW was having an off day.

Unfortunately his first (and second) touch let him down regularly when he had game time and being honest, the squad didn’t benefit from him being here so I’d say, send him, Wolfe and the other loanees at RB back to their parent clubs.

Save the wages and let IB go for another player if needed.

I'm glad we're reassessing all the loanees - having legions of players on loan tends to be a sign that something hasn't gone right. I was hoping Wolfe would get a bit of game time now, but the loan didn't work out for any party if we're honest. I would've expected Effiong to slot in the Wootton at Woking, but there probably isn't much point if he knows he's going back anyway.

The comments about Sam and Turner were interesting too. When asked why they were omitted, IB said that Turner had a knock. No comment on Sam at all. I wonder if he isn't rated?

1 hour ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Oh I bloody hope not. 

Unless I’m missing something, not sure who else he can put up front? 
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of Sam in the sense that I feel he is far too inconsistent.

Knowles is as well, but he seems more hungry when he’s on and has a natural eye for goal and manages his game better when coming off the wing.

I don’t expect Knight is ready for 90 at all yet so it can only be Knowles and Sam...unless he totally screws with the formations and Enzio goes up front?

On 03/04/2021 at 23:36, Feral Fox said:

Unless I’m missing something, not sure who else he can put up front? 
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not a fan of Sam in the sense that I feel he is far too inconsistent.

Knowles is as well, but he seems more hungry when he’s on and has a natural eye for goal and manages his game better when coming off the wing.

I don’t expect Knight is ready for 90 at all yet so it can only be Knowles and Sam...unless he totally screws with the formations and Enzio goes up front?

Kit man?

Being more serious, you are right, we don't have anybody else. Personally I would have started with Effiong and Sam up there, but now Effiong has gone, I have no idea who to play there. You can't play either of them alone up top as neither are good enough, so they need to be in a 2 really, but then do you want to waste 2 starting places to the 2 members are the squad that are the weakest?

effiong going back makes sense, it means a better option could be signed if needed.

i do think its time to try to give what we have a proper go, sam will only get match fit if he plays. he has shown he can score, so if we can focus on the performance and creativity i hope he can do the rest.

4 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

They've gone with Knowles and Sam up front. I fear the worst.

do you still want knowles to return to mansfield?

3 minutes ago, liampie said:

effiong going back makes sense, it means a better option could be signed if needed.

i do think its time to try to give what we have a proper go, sam will only get match fit if he plays. he has shown he can score, so if we can focus on the performance and creativity i hope he can do the rest.

do you still want knowles to return to mansfield?

If it were to free up a space for a better loanee or wages for a permanent signing, then absolutely. 

3 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

If it were to free up a space for a better loanee or wages for a permanent signing, then absolutely. 

i would not imagine he was on much wages, so the impact of him going would seem minimal but him remaining could be positive.

would you be against us trying to keep him permanently?

i think this would be a good option to explore, as he could progress much more knowing where he stands and at a club that will give him a chance. i dont remotely think hes a bad player and some of our fans cant see past that hes on loan from mansfield.

He never seemed bothered about playing, one of those players who took it for granted and it makes you wonder if he actually wanted to play. Poor signing due to all things considering, if he remained for another 10 games I don't think it would've worked out.

Right call it would seem.

11 minutes ago, liampie said:

i would not imagine he was on much wages, so the impact of him going would seem minimal but him remaining could be positive.

would you be against us trying to keep him permanently?

i think this would be a good option to explore, as he could progress much more knowing where he stands and at a club that will give him a chance. i dont remotely think hes a bad player and some of our fans cant see past that hes on loan from mansfield.

I imagine he's not on much, no. 

Yes I would be against signing him permanently because I don't think he's worth a fee. Mansfield won't be (I imagine) wanting to let him go without a decent fee and I don't think he's ready to be starting in the NL, so he's a development option. Currently. as Ardley pointed out and can be seen in every single one of his performances, his all-round game isn't good enough, but he's a good finisher. Even today, his performance in the first half was terrible, at points he looked like he'd be outmuscled by the wind. When the chances were presented, however, he took them well. 

In my opinion, his all-round game isn't good enough to be starting for a team in the upper part of the NL, just as Mansfield judged him not be up to scratch for the bottom part of L2.  Bottom L2 / top NL is largely the same thing, so  considering that, there's been quite a bit of judgement that he isn't ready: Neal Ardley, whoever Mansfield Town's coach was at the start of the season, Nigel Clough and now Ian Burchnall (pretty much forced to start him today). Scoring a hattrick against part-time Woking is not going to change that opinion. 

• liampie changed the title to Sounds like Effiong will be returned to Stevenage

i personally think he will only get better with time, for a 19 year old its all about playing and having regular game time. i think you are right about mansfield probably wanting a considerable fee for him, but if discussions could be had where no more than 20k could be used to sign him. i think the gamble for a promising player of age would be worth the gamble.

we have had players with far more experience do absolutely nothing, but here is a player the right club could mould and bring the best out of. 

16 minutes ago, liampie said:

i personally think he will only get better with time, for a 19 year old its all about playing and having regular game time. i think you are right about mansfield probably wanting a considerable fee for him, but if discussions could be had where no more than 20k could be used to sign him. i think the gamble for a promising player of age would be worth the gamble.

we have had players with far more experience do absolutely nothing, but here is a player the right club could mould and bring the best out of. 

Which is why I wouldn't be against signing him permanently for free; he looks to have potential and could be moulded into a very good player.

However, we have Knowles on loan and if there's no path to a permanent signing, we are blooding a youngster who isn't ours and isn't good enough to be starting (yet). 

It's the exact same logic I applied to Wolfe; if he's not good enough now, why are we signing him to develop him for another clubs benefit (turns out we just gave him splinters mostly). 

It’s become pretty obvious Ardley signed loanees just for the fun of it. 

Ini sent back. Good decision.

Richardson (think that was his name?) sent back good decision.

Wolfe back due to injury. Not fit so won’t play. Cancel loan. Good decision.

Ellis, Knowles worth pursuing long term imo.

I’d send back golden as well. No need for him to be here at all.

Griffiths is the new lad. Not seen enough to judge yet.

20 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

It's the exact same logic I applied to Wolfe; if he's not good enough now, why are we signing him to develop him for another clubs benefit (turns out we just gave him splinters mostly). 

knowles can be a match winner, wolfe is not.

wolfe has been a disappointment and has not taken his chance with us, knowles has done okay. at times more than that but as a good upcoming player he has to start somewhere. i just feel these two players arent comparable and i do think knowles has looked worth the punt at times. i also think sometimes raw ability is enough to change a game, rather than someone with all the ability in the world but has no application i.e effiong.

2 hours ago, liampie said:

knowles can be a match winner, wolfe is not.

wolfe has been a disappointment and has not taken his chance with us, knowles has done okay. at times more than that but as a good upcoming player he has to start somewhere. i just feel these two players arent comparable and i do think knowles has looked worth the punt at times. i also think sometimes raw ability is enough to change a game, rather than someone with all the ability in the world but has no application i.e effiong.

We've barely seen Wolfe so I'm not sure you can draw that conclusion. We wouldn't have seen Knowles either if Thomas was still here and Roberts fit. They were both signed as emergency backup, Wolfe originally as 5th choice central midfielder (behind Doyle, Sloth, Reeves and O'Brien) and Knowles as 4th* choice striker (behind Wootton, Thomas, Sam, plus probably Roberts and Enzio). I don't agree with signing players on loan just as squad fillers/emergency backup. 

Effiong with all the ability in the world is a new one to me. I saw a striker that ran around and put himself about, but just wasn't particularly good. 

Inih Effiong could've worked, but he immensely disappointed me because I've seen him against us - where he played very well.

I'm also aware of his career, that he's a decent player at Non League and League Two level.

I can't speak much about where he played, although at times it seemed we had put him on the wing or out wide. He's the type of player that needed someone quick to do the leg work and allow him to be the powerhouse. Either way, it didn't work and it's for the best that he's gone back. I would rather welcome young talent on the up, than someone average on the way down (unless they're still quality).

In my opinion, loanees need to be in the first team (and improving it) or pushing hard for it. That way, we get a bit of quality we couldn't afford to sign permanently and the player gets match practice. But the way we've handled loanees this season has been a waste of everyone's time and effort. Wolfe caught The Lurgy while he was with us and it knocked him back a bit, but he didn't play or even make the bench after returning either.

23 hours ago, Chris said:

I would rather welcome young talent on the up, than someone average on the way down (unless they're still quality).

I couldn't agree more!

Archived