Match Discussion: Game 36 - The Lillywhites (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,281
  • Days Won:  80

Game 36 - The Lillywhites (A)

Team: Bromley

Date: 04/03/2023

Where: Hayes Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

3 wins in their last 5 games, they seemed to dip a little before their win against torquay. they seem a side that can hold out for a draw but i am not really sure what i expect. i think with the run of games we have had, fatigue will be a concern but i believe williams will set us up to win. unlike ardley or burchnall, we are going for more than just a point so it should be an interesting game. with our fans selling out the away end i hope they can bring a lot of energy too. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Notts have found Bromley to be a challenging opponent at Meadow Lane, as they are skilled in countering teams that prefer a possession-based, attacking style of play. They are likely to employ a slow pace while pushing forward during set pieces, potentially putting pressure on Notts' defence. Despite this, Notts has the talent to return to their winning form, but the outcome may depend on which team desires the victory more.I expect a draw to be the likely outcome.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

My confidence in Notts achieving a decisive triumph over Bromley is absolutely unwavering. I have an unshakeable belief that our players are fired up and determined to redeem themselves after the previous defeat to Dagenham, and demonstrate to the entire league, not just us fans that they have what it takes to compete with the best of them. Yes, there may be a few adjustments made to account for fitness concerns, but I have no doubt that Luke Williams and the team will have thoroughly studied Bromley and developed a winning strategy. In fact, I'm so certain that we'll emerge victorious that I'm already envisioning the final score: 3-1 in our favour. Let's go, Notts!

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

The thing about Bromley is that they're probably the type of team most would consider to be underdogs in this league, they're a good side who can play some very good football. When they use the channels to create space, they are not afraid to commit bodies and have several players who can hold the ball up.

If you watch their last three home games, you'll see that they like to be expressive with their play.

There's a real purpose for them to get forward and this could make it different for Notts, as I expect them to press us quite high.

Their crossing and set pieces will be something to watch out for, as we always tend to struggle against sides that aren't afraid to whip in a ball. It's going to be close, as I say I can foresee both midfields attempting to control the game. Whoever works harder as they come into the game should take control, yet even if we do manage to take the lead - I would hate for us to settle on a narrow lead because they have goals in them for sure.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

I am cautiously optimistic about the prospect of playing Bromley. While they may not be one of the biggest clubs in the league, they have proven to be a tough opponent for many teams this season.

On one side, I am confident in our team's ability to play at a high level and secure a victory against Bromley. We have a strong squad with talented players who are capable of taking on any challenge. Our recent form has been impressive [putting aside the loss to Dagenham], and we have managed to secure some important victories that have put us in a good position in the league.

However, I am also aware that Bromley cannot be underestimated. They have shown that they are a team that can cause upsets, and they will be motivated to take points from us. It is important that Notts approach the game with the right mindset and focus on our strengths while also being prepared for any surprises that Bromley may throw our way.

While there are no guarantees in football, I believe that if we play to our full potential, we should be able to come away with a positive result.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,470
  • Days Won:  5

We drew against Bromley at our ground, which might make it harder to beat them at theirs, but we can't let it affect our mindset. Notts County needs to keep winning to put pressure on Wrexham, who have a game in hand, so it's up to us to maintain that pressure on them. However, we still need to be careful not to get overconfident as the competition is tough. I want the team to succeed and get back into the Football League. We must continue to work hard and strive for excellence both on and off the field. While winning against Bromley would be important, we need to keep pushing forward and not let setbacks discourage us.

It sounds like a very poor decision for the second penalty, unfortunately I didn't have the radio on for the first but its incredibly bizarre that two are given so early into a game. Bromley sound as if they're in control, hopefully we can dig deep and get back into it.

Pleased to see Brooks get this debut and for his penalty save.

Funnilty @Piethagoram mentioned choosing Brooks due to penalty saves for his 5-a-side team. 

1-0 currently to Bromley.

Just like BT Sports, I believe Luke Williams comments about the title chase being off is just a way to take pressure off us.

I'm glad Notts were able to save a point, I can't really comment on their penalties, but the second one they gave wasn't the right decision from the radio. I don't think anyone can be harsh on Tiernan Brooks, I am pleased he's been given his league debut. Quite amusing after the topic started on here as to if he will get game time next season, hopefully he will get game time between now and then and show that he does have potential to be our future number 1.

Everyone sounded like they aren't quite up to par with the game, but I did always expect Bromley to make it difficult.

Coming back after a defeat away from home, against a good opposition at this level would always be a difficult challenge. Thank god for the Non League Haarland, Langstaff finding the net really saved the day and kept things alive.

If anyone watched the Wrexham game, I almost fell asleep. Madienhead wasn't that bad, but Wrexham I could've dozed off! Utterly boring football.

Mind Paul Mullin did well with his second goal, as did Madienhead with their two equalisers. Just a shame their keeper is about as good as spring onions are as food.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

i know some fans will feel frustrated but a point is better than nothing, langstaff salvaged our title race with it.

bromley seem to know what makes us work, maybe today was that and a bit of pressure but i hope we do come back stronger. it sounded quite painful to watch at times, with nothing to much happening and i took away from the game that they can consider themselves unlucky not to have beaten us.

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,792
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

"Funnily @Piethagoram mentioned choosing Brooks due to penalty saves for his 5-a-side team. "...thanks for that @Chris

From the last 2 pre-seasons, I do think Brooks has a bright future. I am never confident of Sam saving a penalty...but Brooks has something about him, that he can outthink a penalty taker. 

After Brad Young, is Mair now deemed not good enough? Our recruitment models seem to be working fine, with the exception of goal keepers

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Take a bow Tiernan Brooks. His penalty save has kept County in the title chase. Bromley should have been out of sight by half time. County got a foot hold in the 2nd half and just about deserved a draw. It wasn't a great performance to be fair.

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

I have to say when I first saw the team sheet I was nervous, Brooks making his debut against a team that will cross the ball into the box at every opportunity. And then lot’s of attacking players on the pitch, but maybe that was just because we were so short of defenders…

Brooks had an eventful game, saved a pen, gave away a pen (was it a foul though?) and then could’ve given away another pen for a foul that was apparently in the box.

I think we definitely deserved something after a dominate second half though. A point here now is decent, especially given that Wrexham didn’t win either.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 2

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

I watched the stream until it gave up the ghost between the two penalties. We had a very sluggish start, Bromley were aggressive, in our faces and first to everything. Apart from a dangerous cross into the box that Langstaff couldn't get on the end of, we didn't threaten at all. From the angle I saw it from, the first penalty looked soft - one of those where the striker feels gentle contact and falls down in a heap, hopeful of the penalty. Admittedly it wasn't the best angle, and we couldn't have complained about being behind at half time.

Credit to the boys how they came back in the second half and kept at it, it's just a shame we didn't do it for 90 minutes.

Overall I feel happier after this weekend's matches. Last weekend we gave Wrexham a psychological boost just when they needed it by losing before they'd even kicked a ball. This time they've let us off the hook by dropping 2 points in injury time. It ain't over yet.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  895
  • Days Won:  11

I think the pitch played a part as to why we were not up to our usual standard, players seemed to be not going for it as to avoid getting injured

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I won't take credit away from Bromley; they did far better in the first half. Notts just took longer to get into the match, but by the second half, we had chances. I don't think it's really fair to blame the pitch outright. The game could have been ours if we had taken some of the chances we created. The biggest plus for me is Tiernan Brooks, who looked ready to play. He had a shaky first 25 minutes, but was solid after that.

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

It would be unwise to underestimate Bromley, and I'm afraid to say that the writing was on the wall even before the game began. In my opinion, the keeper situation wouldn't have changed the outcome of the match. The first penalty was a careless mistake by from a Notts prospect, and although the game was entertaining, it was frustrating for Notts fans at the game as nothing seemed to click, and many opportunities could have been executed better.

A fair point, but lucky at the same time for Notts.