The Uniqueness of Notts County

Dry Nelson Ray

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

From the perspective of someone, naming no names or pointing the finger but… clears throat and adjusts tie… let’s just say that there’s a certain charm in being vague and mysterious. It’s like a game of Clue, but instead of Colonel Mustard in the library with the candlestick, it’s just me here with my thoughts and a sense of intrigue. I’m curious to know what makes Notts County so special to you. In your own words, can you share with me what sets this team apart from the rest?

• Like 7

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,368
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

This sort of thing applies for every club, but the more unique things are being the world's oldest professional football club (previously the world's oldest football league club). Our famous chant about a broken wheelbarrow. Jimmy Sirrel, our legendary Scottish manager, had a deep passion for the black and white colours.

Also, our connection with Juventus after being given our kits and then them inviting us to their grand stadium opening.

Other than that, I think around the age of 5, I started expressing an interest in going to see Derby play with @super_ram. I would've been maybe 7, the first time I attended a game, which my grandfather took me too. Supporting Notts has always been about family. I recall trips in the early 90s to Wembley both in the playoffs and in the Anglo Italian Cup. 95, 97 and 99 were the years I attended a handful of games whenever my grandfather could get to games.

The game between Notts and Arsenal, after they bought Jermaine Pennent off us, is one of my favourite games even though it was a friendly.

My brother used to take my son from the age of a baby, due to me being at work but on occasions I did get but very rarely. It was 07/08 when I managed to get to more games, then the incredible time we have with winning League 2, dubbed the Munto era.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

the way we react to bad owners, generally the fans will regroup and be the best that they can be. when alan hardy took us down, not many clubs would have kept doing their jobs or seen such support from the fans.

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

I believe what makes our club unique is its rich history and strong community spirit. Notts County is the oldest professional football club in the world, and we have a deep-rooted connection to our local community that is unrivaled by many other clubs. Our fans are incredibly passionate and dedicated, and we have a strong sense of identity and pride in our club's heritage.

Moreover, Notts County has had its fair share of ups and downs over the years, but we have always managed to bounce back stronger. Our club has a never-say-die attitude, and we never give up, no matter what challenges we face. This resilience and determination are what makes Notts County stand out and inspires our fans to support the team through thick and thin.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

Oh, well, I think Notts County is really cool because it's actually the oldest professional football club in the world, which is pretty impressive, you know? And their stadium, Meadow Lane, has this sort of classic feel to it that I really like. Plus, they do a lot of community work, which is great. Overall, it's just a really special club that's different from others in a lot of ways.

• Like 5

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,995
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

My grandfather would take me on the South Notts or West Bridgford buses from Clifton. First was to Notts ( I was 8 years old at the time), then later to a game at Forest ( v Man Utd). George Best scored from the penalty spot...and I had decided, Notts was to be my forever home. Fancy players like Ian Storey-Moore had no place in my thoughts... I preferred the atmosphere of the "true" down to earth folk at Meadow Lane. It takes a certain hardness as a kid to follow a lesser team, where children tend to follow glory hunters wherever in the country they maybe. I have no regrets. Life can be painful but I am proud to have supported Notts for 56 years

• Like 4
  • Love 3

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  81
  • Days Won:  4

@Piethagoram Wow, that’s quite a story. You know, I admire your loyalty and passion for Notts. It’s not easy to stick with a team that doesn’t always win, but you do it with grace and humor. You’re like someone I know, but I won’t say who. He’s a secret admirer of yours, and he thinks you’re awesome. I bet your grandfather would be proud of you too. You’re a true legend in my book.👏

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I have always been fascinated by the history and culture of Notts County, the oldest professional football club in the world. Founded in 1862, the club has witnessed and shaped the evolution of the beautiful game for over a century and a half. Notts County has a distinctive and rich history that makes me proud to be a fan.

One of the aspects that makes Notts County unique is its involvement in some of the most memorable matches in football history. I will never forget the thrill of watching Notts County host Manchester City at Meadow Lane in the FA Cup fourth round in 2011. The match finished 1-1, with Notts County taking the lead through a stunning goal by Neal Bishop. The atmosphere was electric, and the fans were ecstatic to see their team hold their own against one of the richest clubs in the world. The replay at Etihad Stadium was also a memorable occasion, with Notts losing 5-0, they put up a brave fight.

Another highlight of Notts County's history was the invitation to open up Juventus' new stadium in 2011. Juventus, one of the most successful clubs in Europe, chose Notts County as their opponents because of their historical connection. Juventus adopted their black and white striped shirts in 1903 after receiving a set from Notts County as a gift. The friendly match was a celebration of this bond, and Notts County did not disappoint. They drew 1-1 with Juventus, with Lee Hughes scoring a late equalizer that sent the travelling fans into raptures. It was an incredible honour to see Notts County play in such a prestigious venue and witness the mutual respect and friendship between the two clubs.

Of course, Notts County's history is not all glory and glamour. The club has also faced many challenges and hardships over the years, such as relegations, financial troubles, and managerial changes. However, these downs have only made me more determined to support Notts County and to hope for better days ahead. I believe that Notts County has a resilient spirit and a loyal fan base that will help it overcome any obstacle. I believe that Notts County has a promising future with a dedicated new owner investing in the club to revive its history and reputation as one of the oldest and most prestigious clubs globally.

Notts County is more than just a football club to me. It is a part of my identity, my heritage, and my passion. I am proud to be a part of its distinctive and rich history, and I look forward to being a part of its future.

• Like 4
  • Love 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Notts County is a special football club with a rich history. The club had legendary players like Tommy Lawton, Jackie Sewell, and Tom Keetley. In the 1970s and 1980s, we enjoyed some of the best football under Jimmy Sirrel and, other managers beteween. The club has always had strong roots in the community. In 1986, during a difficult financial time for the club, "Life Line" was set up to raise funds. This measure helped save the club and is a testament to the love and support of its fans.

Edited by AmericanPie
  • Like 3
  • Love 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,480
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I remember my first visit to Meadow Lane. It was August 2007 and it was Brentford. I arrived on the Friday and couldn't resist a trip to ML. The groundstaff were doing their final bits and pieces. I must have looked like a tourist because one of them asked if I was OK. I explained where I was from and he asked if I wanted to stroll around the stadium while they were finishing up. It was a fantastic gesture and one I'll always remember. Notts County and the fans have always made he feel at home when I visit. 

• Like 3
  • Love 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

When I was five years old, my dad took me to see Notts County play at the historic Meadow Lane stadium. As we walked through the turnstiles and into the stands, I felt a magical vibe wash over me. The smell of freshly-cut grass, the sound of the crowd chanting and singing, and the sight of the players warming up on the field all combined to create an atmosphere that I would never forget.

From that day on, going to see Notts County play became a routine for me and my dad. We would go to every home game and, on occasion, we would travel to watch them play away. I was fascinated by the game itself, watching as the players moved the ball up and down the field, scoring goals and making tackles.

As the years went by, Notts County had its ups and downs. We had some great moments, like winning the League Two championship in the 2009/10 season and playing some big teams like Liverpool in the League Cup. But we also struggled in League One, facing relegation battles and fighting to stay in the division.

Despite the highs and lows, my love for Notts County never wavered. I felt a sense of pride every time I put on my black and white scarf and went to a game. Even when things weren't going well, there was something special about supporting a club like Notts County, with its rich history and passionate fans.

Now, many years later, I still feel that same magic vibe every time I walk into Meadow Lane. It's a feeling that has stayed with me all these years and has made supporting Notts County a permanent part of who I am.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,506
  • Days Won:  287

Tricky question! I suppose it's the sense of a link with the club's long history, of continuity, but also all the experiences, triumphs and failures we've shared as supporters and all those years of (mostly dashed) hopes. They make us totally unique. And in a way, that also makes us the same as all the rest :D

It's a personal thing as well, seeing the floodlights on as I walk down London Road, the first sight of the pitch, the smell of the greasy burger van and the way the hairs on my neck stand up when I hear the wheelbarrow song, just as they did when I was a teenager. We've played at the same ground since 1910 and, while the original stands are long gone, I'm so glad we weren't one of the many clubs to move. knowing that so many special moments in the club's history over the last century played out right there on the same pitch makes it feel that bit more special to me.

• Like 2