Notts County’s Time Capsule: What Would You Include?

TheSkipper

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,449
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Imagine creating a time capsule for Notts County to be opened in 50 years. What items would you include to represent the club’s history, achievements, and current state? As a Notts County fan, what personal items or memories would you include?

Here’s what I would include in a Notts County time capsule. I would put last season’s home and away shirts in the capsule, along with some programs from the last 20 odd years. I would also include a picture of Jason Turner and a notebook explaining who he was and further stories about current squad members.

In addition to these items, I would also include a small Danish flag and a news clipping about the Reedtz Brothers taking over the club. As for personal items, I would include one of my PON features as a means to show my connection to Notts County.

To preserve the items in the time capsule, I would look into using airtight bags and conduct further research on how best to prevent degradation over time. I would bury the capsule in the KOP’s goalmouth, where it could be found by future generations of Notts County fans.

-

What items would best represent Notts County’s history and achievements? What photo of a current player or staff member would you include in the time capsule?

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  419
  • Days Won:  1

A few DVDs of past games and goals would be a suitable addition to a time capsule. Soft toy versions of Mr and Mrs Magpie could also be included. I will leave it to other members to come up with more ideas.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,759
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I’d put a copy of Football Post from our successful promotion years. Particularly 70/71 season when Tony Hateley was banging in goals that saw us promoted from the 4th division.

A personal item would be a small teddy bear my wife bought me when Notts were managed by Big Sam Allardyce, we named him Little Sam, he was renamed Little Gary when Gary Brazil took over, then little Jocky, followed by little Billy and so on for every Notts manager, he’s little Luke at the moment. 

• Like 4
  • Love 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

A few scarfs I would add, maybe something relating to Colin Slater. Programmes are a good call.

Personal items: Maybe my first Notts shirt if I could find it, along with a photo of various family members who have supported the club. Including the Ram of Derbyshire. 😛 

• Like 7
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i would add a few books, like the history of notts county football club. include photos of tommy lawton, jackie sewell, mark stallard, tommy johnson, macaulay langstaff, colin slater, jack wheeler, jimmy sirrel, derek pavis. a bit of the pitch too.

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

18 hours ago, Nocturnal-Magpie said:

A few DVDs of past games and goals would be a suitable addition to a time capsule. Soft toy versions of Mr and Mrs Magpie could also be included. I will leave it to other members to come up with more ideas.

Those all sound like useful additions to a time capsule.

11 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

I’d put a copy of Football Post from our successful promotion years. Particularly 70/71 season when Tony Hateley was banging in goals that saw us promoted from the 4th division.

A personal item would be a small teddy bear my wife bought me when Notts were managed by Big Sam Allardyce, we named him Little Sam, he was renamed Little Gary when Gary Brazil took over, then little Jocky, followed by little Billy and so on for every Notts manager, he’s little Luke at the moment. 

The Football Post? Whatever happened to that? Reminding fans of Tony Hateley is fitting, along with the teddy bear you mentioned. Little Jocky? 😂 That sounds like most young school kids these days. Little Luke sounds better.

3 hours ago, liampie said:

i would add a few books, like the history of notts county football club. include photos of tommy lawton, jackie swell, mark stallard, tommy johnson, macaulay langstaff, colin slater, jack wheeler, jimmy sirrel, derek pavis. a bit of the pitch too.

Great to see more history mentioned! We need to put in the very best stuff. Thanks, @liampie

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,885
  • Days Won:  5

58 minutes ago, 2piesonmyshirt said:

Thought there was already one buried. 

Where is it and what was put inside? Do you know? I don’t remember hearing anything about a time capsule. Was this done many years ago?

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It’s a good question. I think I would find it difficult as I don’t own much to do with Notts. I would have loved to get one of those special promotion coins and put that in something like this, mind.

• Like 4

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  224
  • Days Won:  1

You have to put an official football in, maybe a captain’s armband from an important game. Squad photos of as many Notts teams as possible, with a reference to all the players’ names are/were.

• Like 3

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,276
  • Days Won:  69

Couldn't we have both @allardyces tash ?

• Haha 2