Match Discussion: Game 6 - The 'Owd Reds (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  19
  • Days Won:  0

Good win, no doubt Notts fans will be proud to be top of League Two. It’s bringing a bit of jealousy out from our neighbours, well their reserve fans who sit at home and barely ever see a live game.

This squad of Notts players are doing us proud, one disappointing opening game has fuelled the better performances. It’s fantastic! Credit to Luke Williams and the coaches.

• Like 11

• Content Count:  196

It was a magical day for Notts today. They made some mistakes, but they did well to recover from them. Securing the win to go top, it feels like an incredible achievement.

Macaulay Langstaff was impressive in the pre-warm up. He looked in fiery form and put that into practice on the pitch. No player played poorly, it was a superb team performance.

Well done to the lads! They deserve to celebrate this victory.

• Like 7

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  171

Notts performed well enough to win, it wasn't a fluke or due to opposition being poor. Accrington Stanley played well with their own right and made a game of it, they were organised and determined, and they created some chances. I felt disappointed when they scored because I honestly didn't think they would and it was a poor goal from our perspective to concede. They exploited our weakness in defence, and they took advantage of our lapse in concentration. They did well to get the goal, but I do think they settled at that point for a draw. They did not push for a second goal, and they seemed happy with a point.

• Like 9
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

solid performance by notts, i dont think anyone in the post match part of the discussion were incorrect for expressing their strong belief in the team. yes, accrington made it hard but our quality shined when it mattered. accrington really need a more mobile striker, josh andrews did okay but for the most part he was isolated. the chances he had with his feet was not that convincing either but they did well as a squad. i am so pleased we managed to put on what was a great performance.

i think jodi jones had a quieter game but it would be difficult considering the amount of times accrington took him out, the referee really was not fair towards jodi or richard brindley who got kicked in the back rather pointlessly.

also, how jodi was given his final warning for the accrington players diving effort into his boot [low to the ground] was beyond me. i thought the referee was dire.

glad he did not cost us the points.

• Like 9

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,251
  • Days Won:  4

I think we was by far the better team although we let them back into the game after our first goal. We definitely played better in the second half and should have scored more than 3 in my opinion. But a good win and top of the table is everything I could have asked for.

• Like 8

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,662
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

I always have great respect for John Coleman. Apart from about 2 years, he has been at Accrington since 1999

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

That was a test and the Pies passed with flying colours. Accrington made it difficult but there was no panic, just sticking to the game plan and making adjustments when needed. Langstaff took his goals well. The first one was superb. The way he worked a shooting opportunity in a tight space shows how good he is. 

• Like 9

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,427
  • Days Won:  287

That's a great win for us. A crucial moment was when we were 2-1 up and Stone got just enough of a hand on a Stanley shot to divert it wide. Moments later, Palmer slotted a wonderful ball to Langstaff and it's 3-1. So it's definitely one of those that could have gone either way, but that doesn't mean we were lucky. When you have Langstaff, a Jones or a Palmer in your team, those crucial moments on which a game can turn are more likely to go in your favour. Just look at our second goal - 99 times out of a hundred, a striker receiving the ball with his back to goal and with so many red shirts around him is going nowhere.

I agree with John Coleman that the yellow cards are getting silly - I think it was Brindley who got booked waiting for the ball boy to give him the ball. And the "yellow for kicking the ball away" rule is being used to penalise players who have a shot a fraction of a second after the whistle has gone. That's not dissent, that's muscle memory!

It might not be saying much, but Accrington were the best team I've seen us play so far - they were physical, but they could also bring the ball down a play a bit too. Wouldn't be surprised to see them near the top at the end of the season.

• Like 9

• Content Count:  1,454
  • Days Won:  5

John Coleman mentioned in the clip above that he wants to take positives from the game, but he spends the majority of the time speaking fictional nonsense and complaining. His side deserved nothing from the game; they didn’t nullify Notts. If anything, Notts slowed their game down way too much and allowed them to come into it after our opening goal. I give Stanley credit for looking like a good side, but their finishing and play in the final third weren’t good at all. Coleman just comes across as a bit bitter; I thought the referee protected them far more than Notts. Their players constantly targeted Langstaff and Jones by taking them down with rash challenges. Their defender also threw himself into the boot of Jones; the ball was low and not at head height. It wasn’t dangerous play on his part, just madness. What about their player who kicked Brindley in the back when he was going to take a throw-in? It was a good game, but Accrington’s hype is very much overstated.

• Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,793
  • Days Won:  162

their manager seemed like he was not happy before the camera started rolling, but his points expressed does go against some of what he said. he failed to mention all the fouls they made on jodi jones, aaron nemane, richard brindley, macualay langstaff, david mcgoldrick. at times it was almost like they thought, the ref would not give them a yellow so taking a notts player down would give them a chance to stop us from being a threat.

they did very little to stop us, i agree that we just slowed down and allowed nerves to get the better of us.

accrington when they played football did look like a good team, but nothing special. for the budget i assume they have, it is impressive what they are doing but pretending to want to say nice things about his side, only to moan makes him seem a little daft and biased.

• Like 8

• Content Count:  485
  • Days Won:  1

Notts played much better than Accrington. I think it’s fair to say we could appeal that David McGoldrick was fouled. In which case, we were denied a penalty which was quite obvious to me. The player who got the ball wasn’t the same player who fouled McGoldrick, and they sort of slowed down as if they couldn’t believe it wasn’t given. The referee was poor for both teams but was better for Accrington. He never offered us the same level of protection from horrible tackles nor did he allow us to play the quick free kick. Whereas he had words with our players over fair challenges and allowed them to play quickly, even when it was an unfair advantage. Fans would be complaining more about these incidents had we lost, but we are focusing on the right things. Three massive points against a very overhyped Accrington who looked decent but lacked quality to be anything more.

• Like 6

• Content Count:  348

Accrington Stanley came looking for a point. They had no game plan and were just trying to deliver a tidy team performance, which they did. However, aside from their set piece which they scored from, they did little else to trouble us. The few chances they did get were either missed by their players or placed straight at Stone. It was an average performance, but a tidy one. As for Notts, they played with spirit and quality. None of our goals should have been disallowed. I also feel it was the Accrington keeper who positioned the second ball just in front of his goal and then decided to play with a different one, obviously some sort of tactic to try to disallow any further goals. The referee was poor, very poor.

• Like 5

• Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  2

I didn’t think Accrington played all that well, they moved the ball around but looked clueless when it came to creating chances. So many of their efforts were just pot luck efforts, which could have been used far more effectively. Thankfully for us, they were clueless but we allowed them back into the game, that free kick stunned us when the header went in.

After that, we looked nervous and very much in need of a second goal. Notts did very well to cope with some of their antics, I hate seeing teams timewaste when the game is level. It just shows how scared they are to keep playing. They did whatever they could to break the game up, which the referee seemed clueless to spot.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,761
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

@Piethagoram He comes across as a bit of a wally there. It looks like someone slapped him before with a wet fish.

Wouldn't you agree @super_ram? John Coleman looks like he's been given a few facial chops with a wet fishy. 😂 At least he felt professional enough to take off those tinted red glasses. It's difficult to take the man serious, when he's complaining about aspects of a game, where his own side did far worse. I went back to watch the Jodi Jones incident, it wasn't dangerous play. Their lad threw himself into the ball. Jodi did well to limit the danger by quickly retracting his foot, not that the Accrington player did try to milk his theatrics.

Jodi was kicked, tripped, taken out throughout the game. In the first half, I remember three challenges which should have seen an Accrington player carded but didn't. However, I would rather say that Accrington did well for the most part. Their game plan just massively lacked any creative ideas.

They played well, just very routine and predictable, but I can see why they do well in general.

• Haha 5

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,234
  • Days Won:  69

2 hours ago, Chris said:

@Piethagoram He comes across as a bit of a wally there. It looks like someone slapped him before with a wet fish.

Wouldn't you agree @super_ram? John Coleman looks like he's been given a few facial chops with a wet fishy. 😂 At least he felt professional enough to take off those tinted red glasses. It's difficult to take the man serious, when he's complaining about aspects of a game, where his own side did far worse. I went back to watch the Jodi Jones incident, it wasn't dangerous play. Their lad threw himself into the ball. Jodi did well to limit the danger by quickly retracting his foot, not that the Accrington player did try to milk his theatrics.

Ha ha @Chris,Your mum would be laughing at your 'wet fish' comment now,as I am now too.I'll just say in my own blunt Derbyshire, he comes over as 'a right mardy bugger'

• Love 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  537
  • Days Won:  4
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Retro_Pie

Truly happy to see such a glorious triumph for Notts. The game was pretty tense at the start, with Accrington flashing the ball a couple times and Notts showing slight signs of discomfort. However, our boys showed real grit and answered back loud and clear. Langstaff's brace was the cherry on top, they simply couldn’t match his calibre!

It was also pleasing to see how the team, under the guidance of Williams, adjusted their game plan to counter every move by Accrington. The tactical adaptability our lads showed was truly remarkable. Lingering on the top spot on the league table caps our superb run in the game. Truly proud to be a Magpie!

• Like 3

• Content Count:  123

The result was a very good victory for Notts. I prefer to listen to Luke Williams’ points on the game rather than John Coleman’s take. Williams comes across as very complimentary and gracious towards Accrington. Coleman reacted like a manager under pressure; I wonder if he was holding a book of managerial excuses. Notts played very well and were very entertaining. Accrington tried, to their credit, but simply weren’t good enough. They should do well, but they lack the quality we have. 3-1, great result. We could have easily had 6; Accrington, if they had better finishing, could have had a few more too.

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,391
  • Days Won:  18

It's frustrating to see teams like Accrington Stanley come into matches solely focused on playing defensively and securing a point. While they may have delivered a tidy performance, it's clear that they lacked attacking intent and didn't trouble our team much aside from the set piece they scored from. It's disheartening to see missed chances and shots straight at our goalkeeper without no real test.

On the other hand, I'm proud of our team for playing with spirit and quality. Refereeing decisions can have a significant impact on the outcome of matches, and it's disappointing when the performance of the referee falls short. Inconsistencies and poor decision-making can mark the overall quality of the game. However, Notts did well and It was a superb win.