Stuart Maynard.

Robbie

I believe it is more important than ever to get behind Stuart Maynard and the team.

We have witnessed a big loss in form, but I don't blame Stuart for that.

We knew from the very first game of the season that things went quite right.

Notts were very fortunate that they didn't meet a top side in the first 12 games, then things started to come unstuck when we met Mansfield at home.

Even before then we were conceding lots of goals and Luke Williams never solved the problems before he left.

We have to be blunt, Stuart came into a mess that was none of his making. He identified the problem very quickly and has tried to tweak things which has worked to reduce the goals conceded, but our goals have dried up for us too.

We did play well in parts in our last game, and we are still creating chances, but still conceding from defensive errors.

We have 11 games left and the target now has to be getting another half dozen points to see us safe, then a rebuild is needed in the close season.

I believe Stuart Maynard should be that man to rebuild the side and take us into the new season with a stronger squad that will compete in this League.

Chopping and changing the Head Coach now, and some Notts fans are advocating that, would be absolutely counter productive in my opinion.

• Like 6
  • Love 6

• Robbie changed the title to Stuart Maynard.

In my view, our options are limited and letting Stuart Maynard go won’t help because I foresee the form being inconsistent until this season’s end.

If Notts appoints a new manager, how much time will these critics give the new hire?

Will they, as usual, reverse their stance and criticise the appointment, arguing that we should have stuck with Stuart Maynard? This happens often when we go through the cycle of changing managers. Some supporters need to realise how common it is for teams returning from the National League to start strong but lose their way as the season goes on, as this is also extremely typical. While some teams do well, more will experience significant dips, and the majority struggle from the start.

As I see it, The Reedtz deserve some leniency and understanding that the club is working towards their goals. It might not happen immediately, but anything worthwhile usually requires patience. We could easily swap Maynard for someone who might not perform any better, and in my view, it’s a bigger risk to take that chance. Notts spent four years outside of the Football League, and we’ve had a variety of managers, but our owners have demonstrated a knack for spotting a good manager. It’s not working out so far, but that doesn’t mean all or most of the blame should be placed on the easiest target.

I believe what we’re experiencing now can only be endured and strengthened out of season. Giving Maynard and the Reedtz the benefit of the doubt, a review at the season’s end could lead to better outcomes. He’s learning on the job, and the players are more accountable for the losses, but that doesn’t mean we should turn against them either.

• Like 3
  • Love 6

From my perspective, dismissing managers often leads to more problems, and I’m keen to avoid that. I don’t think Stuart Maynard is entirely at fault here, his decisions and efforts so far have largely aligned with what we’ve all been saying. It’s easy to criticise someone for trying and not succeeding, but the result against Wimbledon was a stroke of luck for them. We played well, it’s not as if we’re performing poorly, and I don’t think a new manager can come in with the mindset of reversing the habits we’ve fallen into. Maynard has shown signs that he’s done well to reduce the goals against Notts, and while it’s not perfect, I believe he’s doing his best. Will dismissing him boost the players any more than it would harm us to stick with him? I foresee morale dropping significantly if we let him go.

• Like 3
  • Love 5

When a supporter can articulate why they believe he needs to leave, rather than just uttering nonsense, it seems more reasonable when you understand their viewpoint. For those who merely write “Maynard out” or a few words, it’s difficult to comprehend their perspective or how they arrived at their decision, apart from the fact that we keep losing matches. That’s the simplest course of action, but it’s much more challenging to stand by the club we back and the players who are trying but sadly haven’t been up to par recently. I understand the frustration with the current form, but I don’t think we’d be any better off dismissing Stuart Maynard, and Neil Warnock isn’t the solution. He dreamt of managing in Scotland, yet he cut his time there short, and I’m aware of the rumour that it’s because he’s coming here, but that’s a long shot. Warnock would only be a temporary fix, and we need a long-term one. I believe allowing Maynard to use this time to work things out will make him a better manager. Luke Williams never seemed likely to sort out the defence, but he did exceptionally well in boosting the players. We’re not at risk of relegation, so getting out pitchforks and berating the players and head coach only makes us look bad as supporters. Last season was the happiest campaign for me, even though some of our fan base wasn’t pleased because we didn’t win the league, but they soon quieted down when we achieved promotion via Wembley. At the end of the comment, have faith in our owners and let them carry out their plans.

• Like 2
  • Love 6

much of my thoughts have already been expressed, i get that results have not been good enough but i think it is easier to blame stuart maynard than understand that there are a lot of different elements to this situation. its not an excuse to say the injuries are still having impacts and the players do need to work harder not to concede. its not like there is no signs of positives, the reward of sticking with maynard might just pull the players together if they see that fans are behind him. otherwise i fear they will give up mentally and that is more difficult to snap out of.

• Like 7

Regrettably, dismissing Stuart Maynard will only strengthen those supporters who were never going to give him a chance. I don’t believe most fans take pleasure in seeing the club struggle, but some do seem to enjoy it as if it validates their foresight. I think it’s unfortunate because it’s clear our recruitment team saw potential in Maynard, he’s clearly stepping up and learning on the job. It’s hard not to support someone like him because he’s such an underdog and you want to see people starting their managerial career succeed.

He’s not out of his depth at all, he’s just learning and that’s part of the process. I would be extremely upset if he were sacked because the board took time to hire him. This needs more time to see if he can get the players back on form, you can’t even scratch the surface with the time he’s been given and if the results were entirely down to him I would understand more from those who want him gone but they simply aren’t. Luke Williams was wise to take his step up when he did, perhaps he sensed this was coming? We were weak at times before and although it’s not entirely his fault either, it’s showing where our team is and what areas can improve things for the long term. Defence is the issue, we need some more toughness in midfield too.

• Like 6

Can anyone assure that we’ll definitely be better off without Stuart Maynard? Everything in football offers a lesson, and those who are wise will learn from it. I may have been hasty in changing my username to KingMaynard, but as long as he’s the head coach, he’ll have my backing.

• Like 5

A lot of the problems began when Matt Palmer was injured. We all knew he's a great player and capable of better the L2, but I'm not sure many of us realised just how vital he was. Robertson looks to be growing into the role and it should be great having both of them next season, but our defence seems to be going from bad to worse. I'd like us to keep Macari and Brooks from the back, I wouldn't lose sleep of any of the rest going. And for all the criticism aimed at Maynard on the usual channels, no-one seems to mention that Macca missed 2 sitters on Saturday and we should have been 2-0 up before they scored. With Wimbledon's recent away record, they could easily have given up at 2 down, we have a home win, we're 5 points outside the play offs and in with a chance. As it is, I think the play offs will now take a huge run, although we are capable of that. At the other end, we could lose every game and we've already got enough points.

And I've just checked the article I wrote last summer. Only 2 sides in the last 14 years have finished in the top 10 in L2 after winning the NL play offs with an average final position of 12th.

• Like 2
  • Love 4

I find it encouraging to see thoughtful debates and open discussions here. I can understand why some supporters might want a change at this point, as it’s difficult to see how Stuart Maynard will turn things around, not that I’m against him. I’m just saying I can see their point of view.

What I don’t understand is how some are unwilling to give him a chance and keep reminding people at every opportunity that they’re against Maynard and want a better option in charge. That seems wrong, as it’s like hoping for this to happen, and I can’t see how that would be helpful.

Personally, I’m inclined to give him the rest of the season. If things are still looking grim then, it might be worth reconsidering, but with the defence strengthening and any budget being used to add quality and depth, he might learn from this. I don’t think the problem right now is just one thing, but a combination of factors.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

Looking at the last pre match press conference, I thought he looked pretty comfortable in his role. Anyone who has had any level of success will put themselves under more pressure than others generally would, but I felt he seemed confident. Especially when he came out and said what we all know - the system isn't the reason we're letting goals in, basic individual errors are the reasons. Then after Saturday's game, he said this team isn't equipped to deal with balls into our box. 

Effectively, a new manager has come in and said "our defenders within the whole club aren't good enough."

I  may be reading too much into this, but that suggests to me that the owners / recruitment team have admitted to him that he's been stitched up and we'll sort out the defence in the summer.

• Like 4

The club has a solid coaching setup, but could someone with a defensive mindset and professional football experience assist Stuart Maynard? We attempted this during the Trew era with Dean Yates, and someone like Mike Edwards or a recently retired player could be a valuable asset to enhance the defence. I don't believe we can't collaborate with the current players, nor do I think firing Maynard is the solution. However, we should explore all options, and this is just one suggestion.

• Like 2

Stuart Maynard performed admirably at Wealdstone. Many people are quick to criticise their defence, but they operate on a highly competitive budget, which is only enhanced by their success in competing with teams that have much more to offer players. Therefore, I can understand why we recruited him and I believe it's worth trying to weather this particularly rough patch.

It's more than just a minor setback at the moment, but that doesn't mean Maynard can't turn things around. Let's be clear, I am ambitious, but I think the course this season has taken warrants reflection. We started off very brightly and have been affected in many ways, through injuries, the loss of Luke Williams, match officials, leading to fan trouble, and much more.

Dismissing a manager at this stage could lead to further defeats itself, as people take time to settle in and to understand the talent they have. Considering all these issues existed before Maynard, I am more inclined to think that they will also follow him if he is dismissed. It's important to sometimes stand by your head coach. I think Steve Cooper and Forest are a good example. They looked destined to be relegated, and while Maynard hasn't yet earned promotion here, he has with Wealdstone, so I can see the similarities with him stepping up into a more competitive division.

• Like 1

I have stated in other comment sections on the PON site what I think about the current situation  at Notts, the main problems ( so it seems to me ) are

Stuart Maynard doesn't have the man management skills, that Luke Williams has. Williams built up an incredible relationship with the Players and the Fans here at the Lane. However as many people on here have stated, things were starting to unravel for the Magpies before Williams left for Swansea. With his skills Williams got a top performance out of Notts players who really are Not League 2 standard. How many times this season have we seen a player perform well in one match, and the following week looks like a totally different player and puts on a dismal performance ? Look at the result at Newport  who at the time of the Notts match were on a four match winning streak yet the Magpies come out 3-1 victors. And yet since then although Notts have put in some fair performances, they've not won a single match. Regarding last Saturday most people would have put money on Macca scoring at least one of the chances he was presented with. As I've already stated long time Magpie Fans have seen this all before,  the call to sack the Manager, etc etc. I think the Anti Maynard group are a small but vocal part  of the Notts Fan Base (more than likely Fair Weather Fans).

Touching on the Steve Cooper situation at Forest, his sacking and the appointment of Nuno doesn't seem to have worked does it?  I believe SM will be at the Lane till the end of the season, and hopefully the Recruitment team step up and do their job in the off season.  One other thing Notts have been missing this season is a Leader on the pitch a Captain who works with the Manager and is capable to get the players around him, working as a proper unit. In my opinion I don't think Notts have had a true Leader on the pitch since Michael Doyle.

• Like 1

I'm afraid Stuart Maynard is doomed. How do I know? Because @KingMaynard is here. You are a jinx 😂

We shouldn't sack him, but the current run is alarming and after four points in eight games it's only natural to ask if we've appointed the right man. The squad is unbalanced and we've been very unlucky at times, but does he have the man management skills to lift the players? If there isn't a significant upturn in form until the end of the season, I wouldn't be surprised if the owners look elsewhere.

Ian Burchnall had a similarly dismal start to life as Notts boss. I know he's not popular here, but he did manage to turn that around, get us into the play-offs twice and build the foundations for our promotion under LW. So you never know.

I didn’t think under Stuart Maynard the results would have been as bad as they have been, he’s in a bit of tough situation now but if he can turn it around it will show he possess the qualities that probably got him the job in the first place.

I agree I don’t think demanding Stuart Maynard to be sacked really achieves anything. Why when you want the club to succeeded why would you make his job harder by not supporting him. Fair enough if you have doubts or don't think he's the right man for job, but actively trying to get him removed is counter-productive. That said, I don’t think our owners will be influenced by those just shouting the loudest. We know they aren’t ones to make quick and rash decisions, I don’t think they’ll be panicking yet, if anything I think they’ll be thinking more about how they can potentially help SM and his coaching team through this tough period.

I remember in a rare interview it was revealed one of Chris or Alex had written a study as part of their degree about the effects of sacking managers. I think a large takeaway point was something about how lots of clubs sack a manager when he’s not actually the real problem but they do it because it’s the easiest thing to do...

• Like 2

After the dissapointing result at Crawley I still believe that it would be wrong to change the Head Coach with 10 games left of the season.

A new coach wouldn't know the players at all and a new coach at this late stage doesn't always work anyway. It would be taking a huge gamble by Notts if they did make the change.

We have to stick with Stuart and support him and the team to get the six points that will ensure we are safe.

Supporter+

The results are very disappointing to say the least, are we really safe from relegation? I really hope we are and that we can find a win from somewhere to get our confidence back, should Maynard be sacked? In my opinion it would be the wrong decision now, let’s see how things are at the end of the season, last night I thought we were unlucky and had we had 11 players on the pitch we could have won. Keep the faith.

I think we're safe without another point. Sutton need to win 7 of their last 8 to catch up and Forest Green need 5 wins from 9 to catch us but still have to play all of the current top 5, 3 of them away. Although I hope it isn;t a winner takes all final day!!

Play offs have gone which may take some pressure off Maynard and he can work with the recruitment team in assessing which players are good enough to stay next season and where do we need new faces.

We were pretty carefree in issuing contracts last summer so we may need to negotiate to get some players out.

My one concern is that Maynard is just the unluckiest manager. Disallowed 'goals' at Mansfield and Wrexham, Macca missing chances he'd normally convert, etc.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

The longer Notts go on with out a result  the more pressure Maynard is going to come under  in fact he must be under huge pressure now, and this can't be helping him to do his job right. Why did he take off Jodi Jones and Dan Crowley last night?  Why does he persist in playing Macca on his own up front? Eventually even his supporters are going to run out of excuses for him.  Rumours are already starting to fly, he's lost the dressing room players are falling out with each other and have fallen out with him. If this is the case then the Owners Not the CEO need to sort this out because the only thing that will happen is Chaos, and it will end up destroying the atmosphere and well being within the Club  and this will be reflected on the pitch, well it's being reflected there already. I wonder if we'll see Jim O'Brien back in the Dug Out before the season's end?

• Sad 1

22 minutes ago, Wheelbarrow repair man said:

We have to face it, Jodi is great going forward but his defensive prowess isn't good. Crowley is an attacking midfielder so the changes made sense & Macaulay was kept on until the last minute to try to get a goal back. He was probably taken off to save him for Saturday. That made sense too.

If you are down to 10 men with a lead, most managers would shut up shop. Trouble is, these players cannot or are reluctant to shut up shop. That's not good

And those Rumours are only Rumours and even if they were true that would be a very poor show from the players.

If they are not giving 100% then they shouldn't be playing for Notts.

Maynard has a Three and a half year contract. It would cost Notts to sack him at such an early stage. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, Simon Clark said:

I think we're safe without another point. Sutton need to win 7 of their last 8 to catch up and Forest Green need 5 wins from 9 to catch us but still have to play all of the current top 5, 3 of them away. Although I hope it isn;t a winner takes all final day!!

Play offs have gone which may take some pressure off Maynard and he can work with the recruitment team in assessing which players are good enough to stay next season and where do we need new faces.

We were pretty carefree in issuing contracts last summer so we may need to negotiate to get some players out.

My one concern is that Maynard is just the unluckiest manager. Disallowed 'goals' at Mansfield and Wrexham, Macca missing chances he'd normally convert, etc.

The issuing of those contracts apart from, for example, Jodi Jones & Macari, has proved a costly mistake. Langstaff missed two guilt head chances against Crawley too

Robbie 

Yes they are just rumours but as the saying goes there's No Smoke without Fire. Luke Williams departure started as a rumour and there have been rumours over the  years that have turned out to be true, so we'll have to wait and see what happens.  Having attacking players such as Jodi and Macca  defending is wrong they shouldn't have to defend that's what the defence is for and hand on heart, there are players at Notts who are Not League 2 standard. Yes getting rid of Stuart Maynard will cost the club, but only in the short term, because if  Fans start deserting in their thousands then that could cost the Club in the long term and we certainly don't want a repeat of the Hardy  era. Like it or not there are a lot of fair weather fans that have jumped on the Notts success band wagon and now the Magpies are not winning matches they will start to trickle away and unless things are sorted and quickly that trickle could turn into a flood. I don't like sounding all Doom and Gloom but this is how I see things at the Lane at the moment.

• Sad 1

@Wheelbarrow repair man I agree with you that there are players who are not good enough for this league, I would estimate half the squad isn't good enough which is a large amount.

It was a big mistake by Luke to retain players last summer who were not good enough. That has proved to come back to bite Notts big time.

I believe Stuart should be retained until he has been allowed to rebuild the squad in the summer and only dismissed if results are poor at the beginning of next season.

As far as the fans are concerned, the club welcomes everyone, however the true fan who sticks with Notts thru thick and thin will always be the core of it's support & Notts will want to build on that core support which will always remain stable.

• Like 1
  • Love 1