Goalkeeper recommendations 2024/25 season

So, as I said in a previous topic, I have an excel doc with defenders on it with stats included. I have done this for each position which, in my opinion, is needed for Notts in the summer.

We will start in goal. It is clear that we will be recruiting a new number 1 this summer with Stone on the transfer list, Slocombe in his mid 30's and Brooks maybe not fully ready to be No.1. 

Alex Bass, in my opinion, was one of the best goalkeepers in the division last season. He was commanding of his area

Goalkeeper scouting.PNG

xGOT is the expected number of goals a goalkeeper is expected to concede, based on the chances the opposition team have against him. So if your goals conceded is lower than the xGOT, you've done a good job. If the numbers are close, as shown by the xGOT faced of Alex Bass, Archie Mair and Luke Southwood, then it's ok and says more about the defence. If the goals conceded is higher than the xGOT, well that's just bad.

Another goalkeeper I would like Notts to look at is Chester's Wyll Stanway. 6'3 and with 19 clean sheets in the National League North. A very impressive player who recently was called up to the England C team as well. Out of contract at Chester. I've not been able to find the stats on him like the other 3, as FotMob's in-depth stats don't go down into non league.

Luke Southwood picked up an injury in Cheltenham's last game so signing him will be difficult.

I will be doing this for the centre-back, centre-mid, right wing-back, left wing-back and striker positions.

• Like 5

In goal is the position where I wouldn't mind us having a player in his thirties. I think we need a cool, experienced head who can organise us at the back. The trouble with having a defender in that category is that they've often lost that bit of pace, and then you've got another Ben Turner who's getting turned around by pacey forwards. So why not the goalkeeper?

Bartosz Bialkowski is out of contract at Millwall next month and could fit the bill, provided he's still fit enough to be number one for a full season (he played 14 games this season). Don't know what his stats are like recently, but we know he's a quality keeper.

• Like 3

I agree with @DangerousSausage that we need an experienced goalkeeper preferably in his early 30s but would consider late 20s.

He needs to be able to command his area, good at dealing with crosses and good at distribution. He has to be tall and strong with a strong personality.

I want a goalkeeper who can also lead and organise his defence at free kicks and corners, and can shout encouragement & orders to his defenders.

I wouldn't mind taking a goalie on a one year contract with a view for Brooks to take over the following season.

Bartosz could fit the bill if he is fit, willing and prepared to play 40 odd games. Just depends if he wants to come back with a step down to league 2.

I would prefer an older experienced goalie in preference to someone in their early 20s

Yeah it's a real shame that Southwood broke his leg in the last game of the season, think that rules him out. He would've been, potentially a very good option, faced 8 pens and saved 4 of them this season!

The only GK that’s been released that has caught my attention (and hasn’t been mentioned) is Matt Macey from Portsmouth, I think I’m purely drawn to him cos he’s 6 ft 7”! Think he’d be a touch out of our budget though. Possibly the same with Bart now too, I’d guess he’d have been on a very good wage playing the championship for the last 10 years.

• Like 4

The reason I haven't got any stats for the non league players is because Fotmob doesn't do stats for National League level and below and I'm not taking out a loan from the bank to pay for WyScout, who have just increased their prices.

• Like 3

Can’t say other than Alex Bass I’m that excited by any of the current offerings at the moment, the young Stoke keeper looks good but we’ve got our own young GK in Tiernan right now and the next keeper we bring in needs to be first choice really.

I wonder if Wimbledon will go in for Alex Bass now that they’ve released their previous No.1 Nik Tzanev. They’ve probably got a slight advantage over us if we were to go in for him as I’m assuming he enjoyed his spell there…

• Like 2

In my opinion, Archie Mair isn't up to the mark. Whenever the ball is played to his feet, I get anxious, fearing he might lose possession or inadvertently pass it to the opposition. Despite his heroic contributions at Wembley and during our promotion season, I believe we need a better player. Alex Bass could be a valuable addition, but I doubt he'll join us. Now, Tiernan Brooks has the opportunity to play regularly. I hope he gets the chance, and I wouldn't mind if we signed another young goalkeeper, especially since we still have Sam Slocombe for his experience.

• Like 3

Just seen that Ryan Schofield has been released by Portsmouth. Great age at 24, decent experience with Huddersfield and a previous loan spell with us, although I don't think he's had much game time in the last couple of seasons.

I know age is just a number, but I'd be amazed if a 17 year old was good enough to come in challenge for the No.1 spot... I've never seem him play (or even heard of him for that matter). He does sounds like a very promising player though, played the back end of last season in the NLN for Darlington and has already played for the England under 19s when he was just 16! 

I've found a little article about him:

https://rokerreport.sbnation.com/2024/3/18/24102459/the-lowdown-on-matty-young-how-is-sunderlands-next-top-keeper-prospect-doing-at-darlo

• Like 1

I'm absolutely fine with signing Matty Young. We've had a good experience previously with Sunderland and the goalkeeper position. Anthony Patterson is now their number 1 and a consistent starter in the Championship. 

Sam Slocombe is no longer at the required standard to play League 2 level and Tiernan Brooks is still not ready to be no.1 yet. 

With how highly he's rated, I'd absolutely take Young as no.1. Solihull did fine with 18 year old Tommy Simkin for the first half of last season. He then went on to get into Stoke's matchday squad.

I remember when we released Adam Collin (and rightly so because he was terrible), but then didn't make the correct decision regarding a new no.1 that summer.

That's not the case with the owners now. Despite it not working out for Aidan Stone, we've mostly got it right. Patterson, Jaros and Mair. Luca was fine, not anything amazing but just fine. Jaros was scapegoated because his name wasn't Sam Slocombe, but Burchnall knew that we needed someone in goal. There's a reason he went to Stockport in League 2 the season after.

Maynard also has a good record of developing keepers. George Wickens, Sam Howes and Jed Ward.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I would hope that the position of Goalkeeper is very much in the thoughts of the Recruitment team along side the need to sign Experienced Defenders at Notts. Getting Bart back ? Well  Notts could ask and see if he was prepared to do a Didzy and come back to the Lane to finish his career regardless of the money on offer. Notts don't need another young Keeper, we have one in Tiernan Brookes, in my opinion it would be a mistake to ferry the Lad out on Loan this season. He should be at the Lane learning his trade from the likes of Bart or another Experienced Keeper ready to take over the Mantel of the Notts number1. I know I'm in Dream land but wouldn't it be Great to have Kasper back between the sticks at the Lane? Not only would he be an excellent role model for young Brookes but he'd be an Excellent Captain and Leader on the Pitch. I Can Dream Can't I?

• Like 1