Match Discussion: League Cup - The Shrews (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,090
  • Days Won:  2

It would have been nice if the squad had held on to the 2-0 lead. It was good to see us pull back to 3-3. Losing on penalties is a bit disappointing, but I think the players tried their best and just fell short on the day. Penalties are difficult, but David McGoldrick should have scored, and his decision on how he took the penalty was frustrating.

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

it will be interesting to see how we do to fleetwood, i think league games will be different because we are unlikely to make changes for the sake of it. the players who did come on against shrewsbury could have easily started. defensively at our strongest and with alex bass in goal i think we will be fine.

• Like 2
  • Love 5

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

3 hours ago, Robbie said:

There is this rule that says they can only bring on substitutes on three occasions plus an opportunity at half time. I think that is the reason we have these multiple substitutions at one time.

There is @Robbie, but it’s almost like clockwork that at some stage between the 60-70 minute mark, we will make 3 subs. He doesn’t need to use all 5 subs, multiple subs offer no benefit to the team and always seems to weakens it. Oh for the days when you only got 1, 3 should be the maximum allowed nowadays as more always benefits the bigger spending/larger budgeted clubs. 
It’s not just football that’s affected by it, it always annoys me when I see the egg chasers do it as well.

• Like 5

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,347
  • Days Won:  1

I don’t want to complain about losing on penalties. It would have been nice to win without going into them, but I’m sure the players gave their all and they will be hurting after losing. I hear Curtis Edwards took his performance quite badly and blamed himself, even apologising to his teammates.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  285
  • Days Won:  0

Most people who have been watching Notts for a number of years, even decades, will know it’s never as simple as leading a game. I am not as fussed about the League Cup. It would have been nice to make a great run, but we still have the FA Cup, which could pay its rewards if Notts does well. I think Shrewsbury will welcome the distraction, whereas ideally we would be focusing more on the league.

It is interesting to hear Stuart Maynard mentioning wanting to be at that level next season. We have a lot to do in order to be promoted from League Two.

• Like 4
  • Love 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,455
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Even though we all must be feeling frustrated, I am pleased that we can discuss our thoughts in a way that isn’t like social media. The official pages can be depressing to read, with people quick to moan and throw nonsense into what should be more encouraging. We have played two games. Yes, Shrewsbury shouldn’t have got back into the game the way they did, but some people are ready with pitchforks. Oddly, it’s always the same people moaning all the time.

• Like 1
  • Love 3

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,991
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I was listening to the game via the radio and BBC's Live feed. I had tried to see if Notts' was working, but I gave up with it. I had a great time keeping our Facebook group up to date. A friend had said he'd take over the second half. Here's me thinking I had given him a good handover, only to see his curse strike again.

Between those messages, I came on here and tried to chip in. @Robbie does a great job ensuring the key moments are included.

I thought by the sound of the first half that Notts gave a great account of themselves. Shrewsbury sounded determined in the first 4 minutes, then we scored out of what sounded like nowhere. A few minutes later, another chance which Mark Stallard said should have been taken better. Then David McGoldrick had a chance, their keeper saved it and Diddyz set up Sam Austin to make it 2-0.

As I say, I didn't quite think it was over, but I thought Notts had control enough to see through the game. At 3-2, I had accepted defeat, even though I had a glimmer of hope which I put to one of Joe M's posts in the group. In a matter of seconds, Jatta found the back of the net. It would have been great to be amongst the fans.

We can take both the negatives and pluses, review them and come back stronger. I don't take cup games to heart as much as league games, although I don't really dwell on results. There's nothing we can change, except to improve or ideally, hopefully improve within time. I'm sure this Sunday, we'll see Notts respond.

• Love 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  618
  • Days Won:  1

If we can get good form going in the league, this will be forgotten, but I don't think it's as bad as some on social media are making it out to be. I believe Notts have many fans who understand the game and know the players gave their best effort. In the end, that's all we can ask for.

• Love 2

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,905
  • Days Won:  162

i would have played aiden stone over sam slocombe but i am not the manager, i think some of our fan base loves to single out a player and batter them with harsh comments. yes, hes not the best now but he has served us well during his time. i think some of the comments on social media, they are uncalled for and harsh. the same things would be said about stone or whoever played had mistakes been made.

its a bit fickle.

• Like 1