Temporary Substitutions?

Chris

QPR manager Harry Redknapp backs temporary substitutions

<!--url{0}--> QPR manager Harry Redknapp has called on the football authorities to consider following their rugby counterparts by allowing temporary substitutions to improve the treatment of concussion.

Redknapp was frustrated after medics withdrew Sandro just 11 minutes into Saturday's 2-1 defeat at Southampton following a heavy blow to his head.

According to Redknapp, the midfielder seemed to have recovered by half-time.

Redknapp said short-term replacements was an idea "worth looking at".

However, brain injury association Headway has warned that such a move could be dangerous.

Under Premier League rules introduced this season, the final say over whether players who suffer head injuries are substituted now rests with club doctors.
New concussion measures at a glance

A player suffering a head injury must now leave the pitch.

Team managers or coaching staff will no longer decide if a player continues to play and the final decision will be with the club doctor.

Home teams in the Premier League must now have a third "tunnel" doctor on match-days to support the work of the doctors for both sides.

The "tunnel" doctor will serve as an extra pair of eyes to spot potential concussions and watch TV replays to see the severity of incidents.

The FA, in conjunction with the Football League, PFA and LMA, is to launch a campaign aimed at making players and managers aware of the dangers of head injuries.

The Premier League is to employ its own doctor to conduct research and liaise with all 20 club doctors in the league on key medical matters.

All Premier League players are to undergo baseline neurological assessments as part of their annual medical check-up to help doctors measure their recovery time if they suffer a concussion.

Last season, Tottenham received widespread criticism after their goalkeeper Hugo Lloris returned to action despite being knocked unconscious.

The former Spurs boss added: "You couldn't wait 10 or 15 minutes with 10 men; you couldn't give medics that amount of time to look at a player.

"But it doesn't sound the worst idea for a temporary replacement, so that the doctors could have a longer look.

"Medical people can't take a chance and if someone is very bad you cannot expect them to carry on because if something went wrong we would all be very sorry.

"But at half-time there didn't seem to be a lot wrong with Sandro to me. He was fine in the changing rooms, he didn't look too bad at all but obviously the doctors have got to err on the side of caution."

Luke Griggs, from Headway, said temporary substitutions should not be introduced.

"Head injuries are not like other sports injuries," he explained. "Concussion is an evolving injury and the symptoms may take time to manifest.

"Damage such as bleeding or swelling to the brain may not be immediately obvious, while continuing to play after suffering a concussion can make you more susceptible to further, more damaging, injury.

"The danger with allowing temporary substitutions is that the period of assessment for a player is very limited. In addition, this assessment is conducted in a non-clinical environment.

"Until we have a more robust, scientifically-accurate means of quickly assessing concussion during games, the safety-first approach must be taken."

Why is Football attempting to introduce so many silly things?

I'm personally against this, if the injury is that serious the player should be subbed! If he will be able to carry on, like we have seen so many players do at lower level and even international (Terry Butcher/Stuart Pearce). Why allow temporary subs? I really don't see how this will benefit the game, it will just benefit sides and I can see it becoming confusing in football. Let's face it, we hardly stop play!

@Cobby @hissingdwarf @super_ram @liampie @GrannyPie @super_pie @Northants Pie @weymouthPIE @Dripsey3 @4everapie @ivansneck @Canadian @magpiejul @lewisncfc @wacky @william1984 @Harrys_Mummy @MuddyPatchPie @jsrjay

Thoughts?

What would be the point?

If a player is seriously injured they should be subbed, if they can return. What is the problem with waiting a few minutes? Not every injury takes 5 or so minutes. Teams like United would throw on a player to give other players a brief rest.

P*!s poor idea. Redknapp mouthing off again because bad luck went against him. The game doesn't need changes like this at all. A player is either fit enough or he's not. End of.

i dont think the game needs any changes, apart from the spray marker and goal tech in all the professional leagues.

what do you think?

i dont think the game needs any changes, apart from the spray marker and goal tech in all the professional leagues.

what do you think?

Agree with both of those. Stupid rules put people off. Take the physio on = player needs to wait on the sidelines rule. Waste of time imo. Spray markers solve a problem. As does goal tech.

This falls into an area I have a BIG interest in, the exact medical term for any concussion is MTBI (which in itself is wrong). To save me blabbering on about the effects etc I have included a video from a doctor that I very much enjoy listening to / reading that I emplore everyone to watch, it will change your outlook to any form of blow to your head that much I guarantee.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpVuaGqB6I0

I'm surprised he didn't mention Wrestling, quite a few Wrestlers have been injured after their careers because of kicks to their head and so on. I know that the majority think that drug abuse is the worst thing and yes steroids are to blame, yet there are some very slim well talented lightweight wrestlers who suffer from issues. A young Mexican wrestler did a aerial move from off the top of a steal cage and he fell directly on his head, luckily he didn't break his neck but he does speak slowly now and he shakes (almost similar to Ozzy's drug abuse results).

American football and hockey is very dangerous, yet you have to feel for those in more direct sports without helmets.

This as a valid point and an eye opener! Once I got round from my nervousness (I cringe very easily), I actually enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing @Northants Pie or should I say Mr VIP MotM ;)

I'm surprised he didn't mention Wrestling, quite a few Wrestlers have been injured after their careers because of kicks to their head and so on. I know that the majority think that drug abuse is the worst thing and yes steroids are to blame, yet there are some very slim well talented lightweight wrestlers who suffer from issues. A young Mexican wrestler did a aerial move from off the top of a steal cage and he fell directly on his head, luckily he didn't break his neck but he does speak slowly now and he shakes (almost similar to Ozzy's drug abuse results).

American football and hockey is very dangerous, yet you have to feel for those in more direct sports without helmets.

This as a valid point and an eye opener! Once I got round from my nervousness (I cringe very easily), I actually enjoyed it.

Thanks for sharing @Northants Pie or should I say Mr VIP MotM ;)

That's not gonna help with those paps now is it @notts-joe.... ha ha

If you enjoy reading his website is very good with some really good thought provoking articles, admittedly there is a lot about motorsport but the others are definitely worth reading especially the one about YPRES.

His website is below

http://formerf1doc.wordpress.com/

Archived