Phil Hughes RIP

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

Utterly appalling tragedy. For him, his family, his teammates and the bowler.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,743
  • Days Won:  3

Very sad.My heart goes out to all close to him.The bowler must be feeling devastated.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

The one thing that has to come out of this is the need for better head protection, formula 1 went through this and although he has severe brain injury look at the impact on Jules Bianchi, the reported "G" was 92, now for those who don't understand what that means, it is 92 times his own body weight at the point of impact on his head, he survived this massive sudden trauma mainly due to his helmet, yes the HANS device played a massive point in the microseconds after the initial impact but the helmet was the first point of impact and this saved his life.

The world of cricket now have a duty to his sad passing to decrease the chances of this ever happening again.

In truth they should have been doing this anyway.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

R.I.P Phil Hughes

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

very sad to learn that hes passed a way. just shows you that we dont understand how dangerous impacts can be to the head :(

The one thing that has to come out of this is the need for better head protection, formula 1 went through this and although he has severe brain injury look at the impact on Jules Bianchi, the reported "G" was 92, now for those who don't understand what that means, it is 92 times his own body weight at the point of impact on his head, he survived this massive sudden trauma mainly due to his helmet, yes the HANS device played a massive point in the microseconds after the initial impact but the helmet was the first point of impact and this saved his life.

The world of cricket now have a duty to his sad passing to decrease the chances of this ever happening again.

In truth they should have been doing this anyway.

you mentioned this once right northants? helmets and head injuries. really sad to learn it was a sporting death.

like @notts-joe rip hughes :(

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

Tragic news.RIP Phil Hughes.

• Content Count:  2,140
  • Days Won:  58

Truly tragic news. Nobody should die playing the game they love. My heart goes out to his family, friends, team mates, and indeed anyone who was unlucky enough to be in the ground to witness it, just watching it on the TV was horrible. Gotta feel for Sean Abbott the bowler too, can't imagine how he must be feeling. He's probably bowled thousands of bouncers in his career without hurting anybody. What happened was a tragic freak accident, and nobody blames Abbott.

It really does put sport into context dosen't it? It's shook the whole sporting world, not just Cricket.

Rest In Peace Phil. Just 3 days shy of his 26th birthday. No age at all...

very sad to learn that hes passed a way. just shows you that we dont understand how dangerous impacts can be to the head :(

you mentioned this once right northants? helmets and head injuries. really sad to learn it was a sporting death.

like @notts-joe rip hughes :(

It was more on the head injury front, as to the effects of sudden high impact or frequent low impact blows to the head and the long lasting affects these have.

With regard to Phil Hughes' injury the original blow struck a part of the brain called the cerebellum which amongst other things controls balance, directly behind this is where the spinal cord connects to the brain, they call this the brain stem.

• Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

A real tragedy. Agree with all the thoughts echoed in the above posts.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Very Very sad day for sport in General.

No one should die in this way.

Thoughts are with his family and friends

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,771
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Absolutely awful that he should die playing cricket. A one in a million chance, very sad, I feel for his family, friends and of course the bowler.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

A tragic event for all concerned.

Accidents will always happen, but there have been warnings before, and unfortunately it seems that some sports are slow to take steps. Several players have opted to wear helmets giving greater protection after having been hit in the past, and there is the train of thought that the safest head protection on offer should be made mandatory.

Recently David Haye had a point deduction for "rabbit punching" which has been outlawed in boxing, thankfully.

A rabbit punch is a blow to the neck or to the base of the skull. It is considered especially dangerous because it can damage the cervical vertebrae and subsequently the spinal cord, which may lead to serious and irreparable spinal cord injury. A rabbit punch can also detach the victim's brain from the brain stem, which can kill instantly.

The way Philip Hughes was struck by the ball is very akin to a rabbit punch. Bouncers have had their own share of publicity and rules brought in and amended to try and alter the use of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncer_(cricket)

It is about time something was done seriously to stop the needless injuries and now a death.

R.I.P Philip Hughes, and let us hope your untimely passing forces about a change for the better!!!!!

A tragic event for all concerned.

Accidents will always happen, but there have been warnings before, and unfortunately it seems that some sports are slow to take steps. Several players have opted to wear helmets giving greater protection after having been hit in the past, and there is the train of thought that the safest head protection on offer should be made mandatory.

Recently David Haye had a point deduction for "rabbit punching" which has been outlawed in boxing, thankfully.

A rabbit punch is a blow to the neck or to the base of the skull. It is considered especially dangerous because it can damage the cervical vertebrae and subsequently the spinal cord, which may lead to serious and irreparable spinal cord injury. A rabbit punch can also detach the victim's brain from the brain stem, which can kill instantly.

The way Philip Hughes was struck by the ball is very akin to a rabbit punch. Bouncers have had their own share of publicity and rules brought in and amended to try and alter the use of them.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bouncer_(cricket)

It is about time something was done seriously to stop the needless injuries and now a death.

R.I.P Philip Hughes, and let us hope your untimely passing forces about a change for the better!!!!!

In all walks of life there has to be a correlation of medical evidence and thus protection against the potential for the most serious of injuries, this needs to be an ongoing partnership.

In any sport where the is a chance of sudden traumatic brain injury ALL steps need to be taken without exception to prevent these injuries occurring.

With regard to cricket you could ban the use of a bouncer but is that enough? Not for me it isn't,  the very fact that a hard ball is being propelled at the batsman at speeds around 85 - 90 mph show that anything can happen if the ball hits a crack in the pitch etc etc. The world of cricket need to contact Schuberth for a helmet that meets the needs of the sport.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

@Northants Pie This is what I was saying, the wearing of "The most up to date, safest headwear" should be mandatory, for every batsman.

That way no particular individual will be disadvantaged by wearing it.

@Northants Pie This is what I was saying, the wearing of "The most up to date, safest headwear" should be mandatory, for every batsman.

That way no particular individual will be disadvantaged by wearing it.

Sorry mate I misread your post  :)

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

i was at TB with @Blackville last night. Good to see kids still playing the game (helmets are compulsory for kids).

Also well done to NCCC who had a picture of Phil Hughes on the big screen.

We've put our bats in the front window downstairs on show to passers-by, as this seems to be what the Aussies are doing.

I must say they've handled this really well down under from what I've seen and read.

Archived