Lorry drivers again - sorry @ptid1862

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I was driving into Nottingham yesterday on the A610 Nuthall road and there was a sign of road works ahead and the inner lane was going to be closed ahead, this prompted most of the drivers who saw this sign to move to the outside lane immediately leaving a completely empty inside lane stretching into the distance, this seems a nonsense to me why don't people just stay in the lane they are in and then when they get to the road works filter into the correct lane alternately.

I took the inner lane with this in mind, I wasn't in a hurry so I wasn't queue jumping, one or two cars followed my example but when a lorry driver saw us coming down the inside lane he deliberately straggled both lanes so we couldn't pass. I can't understand this mentality, if drivers used both lanes until they reached the road works then it would free up the congestion further back in the queue which was clogging up an island.

What are people's thoughts? What would you do in that situation? Any comments from our resident lorry driver @PTID1862

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I see people switching lanes all the time whilst I've been learning, I can't say I am experienced enough to comment but people make mistakes. Also, it seems good drivers are the lower percentage on the road - as people still crazily speed around the city (among other things).

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I too would have straddled the lane... maybe not yourself but Plenty of others will do the same to jump the queue.. what happens when you straddle lanes is forcing the queue to dissipate quicker.. thereby speeding up everyones journey...

• Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

I too would have straddled the lane... maybe not yourself but Plenty of others will do the same to jump the queue.. what happens when you straddle lanes is forcing the queue to dissipate quicker.. thereby speeding up everyones journey...

Sorry I don't agree @PTID1862 the left lane was completely empty if cars had been allowed to use that lane it would have freed up the roundabout further back, a simple courteous system of cars letting in the inside lane on alternately would work better i.e. Outside lane car gives way to inside lane car then goes himself, next car in outside lane does the same and so on. Why leave a whole lane empty for hundreds of yards?

It's not a question of jumping the queue just stay in the lane you are in right to the roadworks thereby creating two short queues instead of one long one.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Related, but not the same situation - Today, I realised another thing that annoys me about lorry drivers. When entering the motorway, on most slip roads they have a point where they merge into the slow lane anyway. Why, oh why, do lorry drivers need to have a 6-8 lorry convoy, meaning that all traffic must come to a complete stop in that slip road, to have any chance of getting out. God forbid lorry drivers leave a bit of space in between them when approaching an on-ramp. To make matters worse, there is always a good few cars that get stuck behind these lorrys, especially when the motorways busy.

So now you have an on-ramp queuing up, and trying to join the motorway from a dead stop. Fantastic.

I understand there must be some slip-stream kinda thing happening with lorry drivers, but ffs, common sense!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

I was driving into Nottingham yesterday on the A610 Nuthall road and there was a sign of road works ahead and the inner lane was going to be closed ahead, this prompted most of the drivers who saw this sign to move to the outside lane immediately leaving a completely empty inside lane stretching into the distance, this seems a nonsense to me why don't people just stay in the lane they are in and then when they get to the road works filter into the correct lane alternately.

I took the inner lane with this in mind, I wasn't in a hurry so I wasn't queue jumping, one or two cars followed my example but when a lorry driver saw us coming down the inside lane he deliberately straggled both lanes so we couldn't pass. I can't understand this mentality, if drivers used both lanes until they reached the road works then it would free up the congestion further back in the queue which was clogging up an island.

What are people's thoughts? What would you do in that situation? Any comments from our resident lorry driver @PTID1862

I have to admit, I'm one of the people that will be overly-British and queue, unless I'm in a mad rush to get somewhere. I also occasionally comment expletives at people using their initiative and not being a sheep. Guilty as charged. 

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

yay! If we're going to jump on @PTID1862's back, can I wait until he gets a better score than me in the prediction league then i'll be up for some serious lorry driving bashing.

Of course if, as I expect, I thrash him (no copying of my predictions Mr copy n paste man!) with my predictions and be magnanimous in my victory and not mention his land straggling antics!

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

why dont they just use the left lane in areas where its possible, allowing the middle and right lane for normal users? it works for bus lanes.

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Most of the so called "professional" drivers I come across on the road are far from that title.

Unfortunately lorry drivers generally have egos the size of the truck they drive hence why they believe they can do what they want, like that prat that thought he would become a traffic officer whilst @tonyhateley was on the road.

I understand that they like most other road users have somewhere to be by a set time but misusing their size on the road is nothing more than bullying which is abhorrent in any society, likewise car divers that believe they are Fernando Alonso and race around forcing other road users into emergency maneuvers.

Time is so short but the more you chase it the further away it gets

Unfortunately @Northants Pie I can no longer refer to myself as "professional". But I do take pride in what I do, and I will write it as it is... I won't be defending fellow truckers if there is a case, but similarly I don't enjoy reading anything that portrays my profession in a bad light.

The only thing in your life, and that of anybody in the UK, that hasn't been in some way delivered by truck is the air you breath. Lorry drivers are not all dirty smelly greasy etc etc, as is the public misconception.

The vast majority of us, are well trained, experienced, and courteous to others, we deliver what you want when you need it. Come rain, shine, snow, wind... you name it we are out in it.

Like all professions, and walks of life, we have our rogues and those who are an embarrassment.

There might be some more on this in a blog!

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Unfortunately @Northants Pie I can no longer refer to myself as "professional". But I do take pride in what I do, and I will write it as it is... I won't be defending fellow truckers if there is a case, but similarly I don't enjoy reading anything that portrays my profession in a bad light.

The only thing in your life, and that of anybody in the UK, that hasn't been in some way delivered by truck is the air you breath. Lorry drivers are not all dirty smelly greasy etc etc, as is the public misconception.

The vast majority of us, are well trained, experienced, and courteous to others, we deliver what you want when you need it. Come rain, shine, snow, wind... you name it we are out in it.

Like all professions, and walks of life, we have our rogues and those who are an embarrassment.

There might be some more on this in a blog!

I agree with what you are saying as some of the lorry drivers I know & have been on deliveries with are outstanding at what they do, I certainly couldn't do what they do.

I just think that as the general driving standard drops massively this will be shown in no greater light than the driver of a lorry due to its physical size and unfortunately the wrong type of people are now driving lorries (i'm sure you know what i am getting at @PTID1862)

As for Ego's......

My ego writes cheques knowing full well my body can cash them! Unlike a certain fighter jet pilot......

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

@PTID1862 dirty, smelly, greasy! Bagsy not sitting next to @PTID1862 at the Vale match!

Archived