Match Discussion: Game 28 - Pools (H)

Dripsey3

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I'm taking a hiatus from Notts at the moment, but I felt I would be letting PON down if I didn't continue with the match thread so on we go.......

Hartlepool aka The Monkey Hangers. If Monkey Hangers is unfamiliar to you, then google Hartlepool and monkey hangers for the bizarre story surrounding this nickname. In fact the Hartlepool mascot is actually a monkey and there's a statue in the city of a monkey as well I believe. Right I got distracted, back to the actual game itself.....

Hartlepool are 22nd (7 places below Notts). They have 24 points (12 less than Notts). They have scored 23 goals (a whopping 17 less than Notts). They have conceded 41 goals (a surprising 5 less than Notts given the points difference between the sides). 

Hartlepool have won 1 (Wycombe at home), drawn 1 (Cambridge away) and lost 3 (Plymouth and Exeter at home and away to Stanley) of their last 5 games. They are in a relegation battle and are in real danger of being relegated. They are clearly in need of a goalscorer. 

Hartlepool play a 4-5-1 formation. They are shaky in defence. Their midfield put in plenty of effort, but there is no real player of quality in there. Rakish Bingham will probably start up front on his own. He works hard but isn't much a threat. Billy Paynter is their top scorer, but he started on the bench in their last game. If Hartlepool are behind, then Paynter will join Bingham up front and they'll go to 4-4-2. If they are being hammered, they might resort to 4-3-3 and Scott Fenwick will come on up front. 

Hartlepool aren't short of players who will scrap but they are a limited side. Man for man, Notts are superior in every position IMO. If Notts show the same battling qualities as last week, then the result will inevitably be a resounding home win. This is a home banker if there ever was one. 

I have a feeling Notts will break out this week and ease to a 4-0 victory. Why you might ask? Because the quality of the Notts team means someone is going to get a beating at some stage and well Hartlepool are the most likely candidate. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,770
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Dripsey3 The set ups away from home may not be entirely applicable to what we need at home. I hope Jamie now recognises this and includes some creative flair  like Valencic, Stanley or Snijders.

• Like 4

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

At home we need to be more neutral rather than overly defensive, yet I am sure JF is just getting to grips.

I would like to see a strong midfield selected as we have a good opportunity within this run of upcoming games to get some form and points under our belts. Our front line can do their jobs, even if we play McLeod on his own but we need to keep him focused - whilst I would prefer two in attack, chances should be presented and I am comfortable that we process good options within this league to get the goals required.

The problem for me is connecting or creating those chances and although Hartlepool are struggling, it would be crazy to play overly defensive or offensive against them. It must be balanced, they have a decent side.

• Like 1

@notts-joe I am not advocating tinkering that much, but to at least have a midfield berth for either Valencic Aborah or Snijders

@Piethagoram I agree, you need consistency within your selection.

I always said Ricardo did more harm mixing the squad up and by dropping players for making one mistake (which often was minor or team related - so I didn't get why certain people would be frozen out). I think it's insane to dis-include Snijders, when we seem to be struggling for wingers. For me, bar the new defender who I believe will start, it should only be a few changes to the midfield that we should see.

• Like 1

@notts-joe I am still questioning Jamie's mindset over Valencic. The one spark of creativity at Crawley and has not featured playing since. The danger is that he goes with Smith as one of his substitutes at home and not giving us a chance of making a creative change, if we need to

Edit... I am still of the opinion we need to let the opposition worry about us at home in an offensive attacking sense rather than set up to just nullify the away team.

• Like 1

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,271
  • Days Won:  80

Game 28 - Pools (H)

Team: Hartlepool United

Date: 06/02/16

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Jamie Fullarton opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

Hartlepool have signed their former striker luke james on loan from Peterborough, I haven't seen him play but I assume he would be their main threat

Sent from my GT-P3110 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+
37 minutes ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Hartlepool have signed their former striker luke james on loan from Peterborough, I haven't seen him play but I assume he would be their main threat

Didn't realize this. Thought he was still on loan at Bradford. He did well for Hartlepool in his time there. He might well start up front instead of Bingham. I don't think Ronnie Moore will risk 4-4-2 as it will give Notts too much room in midfield. If Notts are allowed to play it around, Hartlepool won't be able to compete.

@Piethagoram is correct, Notts should concentrate on what needs to be done to win the game and not worry about Hartlepool. In all honesty, Hartlepool are the ones who need to worry about stopping Notts. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  117
  • Days Won:  0

2 hours ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

Just threat each player as a threat.

We should be alright if we take that approach.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,728
  • Days Won:  27

Hartlepool must be there for the taking considering how poor they are.

I know you cant under estimate teams but they are in the area where we normally do get results, so I am quite confident about the game. I think we will win 2-0, hopefully Noble will be in the team along side Aborah. COYP!

• Like 1

Hartlepool must be there for the taking considering how poor they are.

I know you cant under estimate teams but they are in the area where we normally do get results, so I am quite confident about the game. I think we will win 2-0, hopefully Noble will be in the team along side Aborah. COYP!

I really hope aborah plays but I just hope we don't sit back or play how we did against Wimbledon, we need to be in control

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, batonncfc said:

Just threat each player as a threat.

We should be alright if we take that approach.

I hope Noble isn't reading this :D   ..I think you mean "treat" :D 

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

You'd hope we can win this. But before the Luton game I said I couldn't see us winning it in a million years, and we won. So my verdict: I can't see us winning this in a million years!

• Like 1

• Content Count:  310
  • Days Won:  0

Before we played Luton I would expect to have won this, Hartlepool are no AFC Wimbledon.

Losing here will just set people off again, which we all know what that will result in. No happy bunnies in the board and of course its our fault for not supporting the club and for complaining. Well I will be optimistic even if it does not go to plan, I might not be feeling things at Notts right now but its my team. Jamie needs to start letting the team pick itself, just find a formation at home we play using.

• Content Count:  173
  • Days Won:  2

Yeah I think that , given the reaction to the performance at home to Wimbledon, Notts would do well to win this one to nil...preferably by 2 or 3.

I think that will be enough to get the wimbledon monkey off his back and kick on for the next few games

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,702
  • Days Won:  36

I also think that Hartlepool will come and pack the midfield this weekend. I will currently take a 1-0 win as well because we need to build the confidence for a couple of really tough games coming up in a few weeks.

I also think that Hartlepool will come and pack the midfield this weekend. I will currently take a 1-0 win as well because we need to build the confidence for a couple of really tough games coming up in a few weeks.

I agree that any sort of win would do, the next 3 games are against not so good opposition but 3 out of the 4 after hartlepool away are tough games, we will need to have confidence going into that run of games

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Scrappy, not deserved or well played at this stage it does not matter.

The manager requires wins, not just to win over fans but for morale. A draw would not be the best of results, neither would losing but it is a point to build from if we cannot win on Saturday. Hartlepool are an uncertainty for me, though looking at the comments posted already it looks like they have a decent midfield.

@AmericanPie I disagree, we need to witness signs that the football is improving - this will help Jamie but it would also help bring folk back to Meadow Lane.

Obviously it's not always possible but Hartlepool can be broken down, I think the football on Saturday might see much of the game competed within the air and I'm not exactly sure how much this would benefit the visitors. They, like us prefer it being played on the floor but I suspect both teams will find it difficult to play the game outright like this.

@AmericanPie I disagree, we need to witness signs that the football is improving - this will help Jamie but it would also help bring folk back to Meadow Lane.

Obviously it's not always possible but Hartlepool can be broken down, I think the football on Saturday might see much of the game competed within the air and I'm not exactly sure how much this would benefit the visitors. They, like us prefer it being played on the floor but I suspect both teams will find it difficult to play the game outright like this.

I agree we have to play attractive football to brig fams back but a win is a win at this stage

• Like 1

Expect team tomorrow to line up as:

Carroll

Atkinson MacKenzie Hollis Adams

Bennet Curtis Noble Campbell

Stead Izzy

But Piethagoram's gung ho, lets entertain the crowd line up should be:

Loach