Match Discussion: Game 6 - The Mariners (H)

PON_News

Game 6 - The Mariners (H)

Team: Grimsby Town

Date: 03/09/16

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should John Sheridan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

Supporter+

They won 5-2 at home last weekend. Notts are a better side on paper home win for me.

Grimsby have looked good going forward  in some of their games against teams who are expected to not do very well, that said Bogle can cause problems by dropping off the centre halves and he has a good long distance shot on him, on a more positive side for us there centre halves are useless on the floor and very slow especially when being turned, remember Ben Davies? He's playing at rb and whilst we all know of his ability on the ball he was never the quickest and that lack of pace is across the back four is something that we should be exploiting this weekend, they also don't tend to play a proper holding midfielder which again with the players we have we should look to exploit these combined weaknesses tomorrow.

Given the above i would set the team out like this

Collin

Tootle Laing Duffy Dickinson

O'Connor

Snijders Aborah / Milsom Campbell

Stead Oliver

Vadaine will crucify their centre halves and be the perfect foil for the pace of Snijders and Campbell, having said that JS will always play Rodman for his effort and will probably go with the the same team that won last weekend plus that new lad that signed.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

@Northants Pie Yes Gibson for me too

As a club how are we ever going to know if they can cut it unless we give them a chance? I know its all about balancing hopes & expectations but i would rather see us give the youth a chance like we have we Curtis and Haydn.

I don't buy the argument of slowly slowly because if they are good enough to cut it they will be from the off.

An example of this is Marcus Rashford, he proved he could cut it straight away

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@Northants Pie Agreed in some ways. Gibson should have be loaned to a Conference side...loaning him too lower down the pyramid isnt going to help his development. 

He's the first young striker we've had for a long time that has something about them, loaning him to a good footballing side in the conference like you say would have been perfect

For those who can't get down to Meadow Lane this afternoon it appears the game is being shown on live tv in some places, so there will be internet streams available if you know where to look.  If anyone has a bet365 account they are showing the game for free, BEIN Sports 11 has also been mentioned.

53 minutes ago, Elite_pie said:

For those who can't get down to Meadow Lane this afternoon it appears the game is being shown on live tv in some places, so there will be internet streams available if you know where to look.  If anyone has a bet365 account they are showing the game for free, BEIN Sports 11 has also been mentioned.

Thanks for letting us know 

Pretty awful first half by Notts and deservedly behind. Back four is still suspect, Aborah hasn't really done enough to warrant his play maker role and Forte is lost out on the left. Couple of substitutions definitely needed in order to try and drag us back into the game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HT Ratings:

Collins - 6 - Not at fault for their goal, everything else has been adequate. 

Tootle - 6 - Been OK
Dickinson - 5 - Let the ball go through his legs on the line, not been overly impressed with his general play, bit of a donkey.
Laing - 4 - The first 20 minutes he didn't win a single thing, thankfully he's improved, but he's getting out muscled by Grimsby.
Duffy - 5 - Not that bad, but not exactly solid.

Rodman - 6 - A number of good touches
O'Connor - 5 - Not really noticeable, done the simple things OK.
Aborah - 5 - A few key passes, but part of a midfield 2 which are going missing too often.
Forte - N/A - I don't think he's done anything??

Campbell - 5 - Buzzed about, with no real return
Stead - 3 - Lost his man for their goal. Losing out aerially, going down far too easily, bit clumsy.

• Like 1

Oliver may not be for the football purist what they want to see , but this is league 2 and the qualities he showed when he came on were first class and needed at this level to , so well done , a point when we looked destined for none is a bonus , we would definitely have lost that game last season I'm sure , and came close to winning it to when not at our best . COYP 

• Like 1

FT Ratings:

Collin 6 (6) - Generally steady enough.

Tootle - (6) - Been OK
Dickinson - (5) - Let the ball go through his legs on the line, improved in the second half. Isn't the best footballer in the squad, but a hard worker at LB.
Laing - (4) - Very dodgy at the start of the game, improved. Got out-muscled by Grimsby's strikers at times. 
Duffy - 5 (5) - OK 

Rodman - 6 (6) - Took on his man and made a few decent deliveries. Sometimes loses the ball, but that's part of the package. 
O'Connor - 4 (5) - Not his best day, missed the penalty. 
Aborah - 3 (5) - That back-pass. Slow and laboured at times, does recycle possession and keeps hold at the ball, but at a cost, can be lumbering and defensively naive. 
Forte - 6.5  (N/A)- Totally anonymous first half. Improved drastically in the second. I was questioning why he was still on the field when we made the 3 subs, but he helped turn the game round with his pace.

Campbell - (5) Buzzed about, with no real return
Stead - 3 (3) - Lost his man for their goal. Losing out aerially, going down far too easily, bit clumsy.

Subs:
Audel - - Added a bit more beef
Oliver - 9 - Totally changed the game. Won balls in the air, enabled us to play up to him when needed, unlike Stead.
Collins - 7 - Goal on debut.

Sheridan - 6 - With hindsight, it looks a wrong decision tactically to play Stead and Campbell against a big, physical Grimsby side. However, he completely turned the game on its head when he introduced the 3 subs. Took some balls, and it paid off. 

Grimsby - 6 - They really took the game to us and had an effective game-plan. Direct and physical, stereotypical L2 side. Not the best footballing side, but had a game plan and stuck to it. 

• Like 1