Does Haydn Hollis deserve a new contract?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What are your thoughts on the Notts CB's poential contract?

• Yes
    • As backup/Temporary first team cover
    • No, release him

On the back of @TheFostarr94's article.

I thought I would open a constructive discussion based on Haydn Hollis and what fans think of him, along with if he deserves a new contract. He's a player I don't think people realise how hard he works, as his dedication does deserve praise but he does seem easily picked out for making mistakes.

The goal we conceded against Crewe wasn't solely his fault, although he shouldn't run or play above his ability - certainly he should avoid using his weaker foot.

Yet in recent weeks people praised him, only to revert to singling him out.

Thoughts?

hes done well at times but when we was losing games under sheridan he looked very poor.

i would have said release him back then but his recent form under nolan does show that he can do well. i think hes been plagued by a failing notts, some will say he is the problem but how many managers has he played under? he deserves season at least. he does try, people forget his effort and good performances.

HH , does divide opinion , he is a hard working professional and still maturing in my opinion , he needs to find consistency in his game , can make costly error's , but in league 2 i think to a degree that's par for the course , i think he is worth a new contract , a good squad member who if not in the team would apply himself well to get back in .

I would also keep him, but it would be good if we could find a couple of better centre backs.  Hollis has come in for some unfair criticism, in fact I think a few Notts fans have decided he had a poor game before a ball has been kicked!  He has a good attitude and you won't find many League 2 defenders who don't make the odd error.  He has done well enough under Nolan to deserve a squad place at least.

Just for the record I voted to keep him as backup, however when he plays well he deserves his place there's no doubt about that.

I would like to see how he does within a squad that actually pushes for promotion, defends as unit and alongside someone experienced enough not to let him down. Our players are League Two standard, so someone with a bit more experience and mutual understanding could help Haydn Hollis - as I do seem to recall decent performances alongside players like Mike Edwards.

There's no doubt we need to target a couple of additional CB's in the summer. Hopefully a no nonsense style defender, then someone with a bit of pace and awareness about him.

For all the faults Hollis has, for me he has benefits which tell me he's worth another season but it's all about opinions.

The problem with HH is that he has had a number of runs under a number of different managers, but never seems to hold down a position in the long run. He seems to be a confidence player, when Notts are playing well so too is HH usually. This type of confidence player is often OK for a striker or attacker, but for it to occur for a CB is a big problem.

Haydn Hollis has to cement a place in the long term, otherwise he's destined for the bench and filling in for injuries etc... He's no longer at an age where he should constantly need an arm around the shoulder or a confidence boost, but is OK for backup at L2 level. 

I think I'd be alright if we kept him for cover, but based on the season (and especially today against Pompey)- we are not getting promoted with Duffy and Hollis as a CB pairing. They aren't good for each other, both seemed nervous on the ball today although I'd argue Duffy was making Hollis's day more difficult than it needed to be. 

Always like to see a player come up through the ranks and especially someone who puts in their all for the club. Backup seems fair, due to his commitment and potential. However, needs to get rid of some of those errors.

On 4/17/2017 at 15:20, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Haydn Hollis has to cement a place in the long term, otherwise he's destined for the bench and filling in for injuries etc... He's no longer at an age where he should constantly need an arm around the shoulder or a confidence boost, but is OK for backup at L2 level. 

he seems to do better and be more consistent when he is not selected week in and out. might this be his way forward?

As long as he is on the books, he will still get game time and for every good game he has, he will have 2, or 3 average ones and at least one shocker. We need consistency and we won't get that with Hollis and Duffy in the side regularly. Out of the three Centre Halves we have, I would keep Audel as he is more comfortable on the ball, has a bit of pace and can actually head it. Hollis is a very limited player and we must look for better.

I can't really comment on Duffy but Hollis is a sorely limited player and will never be better than bog-standard League Two. If we're relying on him as a first-choice centre half next season that won't bode well for our promotion hopes. Like someone else points out, he suffers too much from dips in confidence and looks incredibly uncomfortable with the ball at his feet.

Youth team graduates do tend to be judged differently than others. I don't think HH would get such an easy ride from some if we'd signed him from elsewhere.

On 4/18/2017 at 21:30, liampie said:

he seems to do better and be more consistent when he is not selected week in and out. might this be his way forward?

A solid backline is almost always the same back 4 week in, week out. Swapping and changing doesn't aid a defence, there is much more emphasis on knowing how the man next to you will react, an understanding of who will close down and who will drop off, a general consensus when to step up and when to drop back. 

This doesn't apply so much to the forward positions, where it can be more individual. 

I always rated Krystian Pearce as a defender, though his wobbles towards the end of his career at Meadow Lane is similar to Hadyn Hollis.

He seemed very capable and I believe Mansfield fans rate him quite highly, as I seem to recall @Dan saying that he had improved the Stags defence and that he looked a decent defender for Notts. Sometimes lower tier players lose their way, managers can help with this regard but I would always welcome Pearce back.

2 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

A solid backline is almost always the same back 4 week in, week out. Swapping and changing doesn't aid a defence, there is much more emphasis on knowing how the man next to you will react, an understanding of who will close down and who will drop off, a general consensus when to step up and when to drop back. 

This doesn't apply so much to the forward positions, where it can be more individual. 

this can all be sorted in the training and tactics.

a solid back line should be able to rely on any of the defenders available to make the first team, not just the ones who play week in and week out.

also, i dont think swapping for the sake of it is worth while but at times players will become injured, require rest or just deserve to sit out a game or two. its unfair to drop someone who is being consistent for someone else who had not.

If you released him, I guarantee that within the first 5 games of the season the fans will say "We need a Haydn Hollis type player". It was the same when they hounded Bish out, I said then that they would only realise how much they'll miss him now that he's gone and for every season since people have been begging him to come back to Notts. And he's played at a higher level than Notts nearly every season too.

21 hours ago, Dan said:

If you released him, I guarantee that within the first 5 games of the season the fans will say "We need a Haydn Hollis type player". It was the same when they hounded Bish out, I said then that they would only realise how much they'll miss him now that he's gone and for every season since people have been begging him to come back to Notts. And he's played at a higher level than Notts nearly every season too.

Honestly, I won't, I really, really won't!! If I ever did, I would fully expect to be sectioned!:hyper:

• 3 months later...
On 4/20/2017 at 17:15, Dan said:

Some might, I wouldn't.

He's a good lad and a decent player on his day, it just does not happen in many games. For every good game, he makes several mistakes in others.

Archived