Match Discussion: Game 16 - The Exiles (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,286
  • Days Won:  80

Game 16 - The Exiles (H)

Team: Newport County

Date: 28/10/17

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Kevin Nolan opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

We could definitely do with Jones back in the starting x1. Gets forward and helps the wingers. Hawkridge has definitely missed that. I'd like to see Forte start up front but can't see it happening. Be a tight game I reckon but Notts need this one to get back on track.

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,146
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I don't see why people are raving about Dickinson, he's been quite poor in the games whereby we struggled and his lack of pace means teams just stick to making it difficult for him. He doesn't link up well much either - whilst possibly being one of the players that always reverts to keeping the ball in the air.

We need Jones back no doubts about it.

We need to see a strong partnership form up top, and good effort made by the midfield. It would be frustrating to see how continue to bypass them and if there's anything to learn from Carlisle is that we play better with the ball glued to our feet. Newport will be a tough test, I realise the majority will underestimate them but again this could be our punishment. Let's be stronger in possession.

• Like 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

nolan seems stubborn and foolish at times.

makes changes for the sake of it and sticking with people who have not deserved it. is there any wonder we are struggling? i just hope we can return to how we was before. all the focus seems lost and with the manager bigging his friends up i think there is little chance.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  2

Forte is quick, rarely beaten on the wing. makes considered moves/play, yet remains 'fighting' for his place in the team.

Anyone know why?

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,356
  • Days Won:  1

If we can't beat Newport County at home I think I will accept it that Notts are destined to decline.

I just want to see effort and a decent performance at the end of the day.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

5 hours ago, Lozzle1 said:

Forte is quick, rarely beaten on the wing. makes considered moves/play, yet remains 'fighting' for his place in the team.

Anyone know why?

Because he has too many anonymous games where he contributes little.  A decent sub option at this level, but he wouldn't make my starting XI.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

10 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

Because he has too many anonymous games where he contributes little.  A decent sub option at this level, but he wouldn't make my starting XI.

This. Forte seems to be one of those players who always looks more impressive coming off the bench.

Very much untrue in my opinion.

Jonathan Forte hasn't had the service at all, yet he runs and tries his best. We still haven't seen the Jon Stead of last season who scores for fun and contributes effectively to the open play. Shola Ameobi is great at doing all hard-work but he's not a goalscorer, something which Forte is. Jorge Grant seems to be the type of player who is best coming in off the bench to impact games, if the recent tactics and performances was better - I am certain the strikers would be doing well themselves.

The real issue is the service and lack of attacking minded football.

We also never play to our strikers strengths which is pretty frustrating, Forte prefers the ball to his feet and in behind the opposition so he can make direct runs. Stead likes being a little deep so that he can control the ball and move with it (until he strikes) and Ameobi is a typical secondary striker who's job involves bringing in the main goalscorer - we do play to his strengths somewhat mind.

Hopefully against Newport we can start to work on a proper strike partnership up front because this would be a massive thing.

It would take pressure off the midfield (i.e they wouldn't have to over think how to be creative themselves) and it would allow us to be more natural. Yet until we play the ball mostly on the ground, this will all just be bypassed.

• Like 1

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

I am hoping we can get a much needed win at Meadow Lane but I am nervous about the game. If things dont go to plan, the crowd could get onto the players backs which wont help. They need to respond!

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

To be honest picking out strikers is a difficult choice.  I rate Ameobi as a first choice because the opposition know they've been in a game when he plays.  I don't like playing one up front at home, so the question is who partners him?  Stead has been largely disappointing, Forte mostly flatters to deceive, maybe it's time to try either Grant or Allessandra as a striker.  Both have a tendency to drift out of the game in a wide role, but both have an eye for goal plus a bit of pace and could profit from Shola's flick-ons.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Worthy winners in the end , after a game that needed something to get it on its way , got the incident with the sending off we didn't look back after that could have maybe won by more and played some good stuff to boot , COYP back top , indeed the only way is up :frantics:

Decent win.

I’m currently away with my family for Halloween and I heard the score whilst purchasing some food in Skegness. There was a lot of praise from the pundits speaking about League Two, mostly for Shola Ameobi.

Pleasing to see us end the month well, just hoping the performance was better?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  1,705
  • Days Won:  36

Second half was much better @Chris, first half until the sending off was a bit scrappy and probably even between the two sides. I must admit that before the sending off,  I saw nothing special from Newport suggesting that we might lose the game and thought that if we could get a goal, we would have won comfortably.