Nolan gone

Piethagoram

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,734
  • Days Won:  27

I think Alan Hardy had a knee jerk reaction to losing to Lincoln City.

There seems to be more going off, I don't know what but it seems like there's a revolt in the Notts camp. I am hearing certain players didn't like the way Kevin Nolan made them train, but it seemed to be very professional and more focused on a higher level.

It's all speculation but I'm annoyed with the sacking.

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

I think it makes more sense when you reflect on what Alan Hardy has said.

This doesn't mean I agree, as I do feel he deserved more time and would have turned things around. However, on the basis of the direction the club has been heading in the last 8 months, it's not been the same as when Kevin Nolan first took over. Only the main strikers gave hope of promotion, deep down I think we all knew that this would be a push considering how early into the Hardy era we are.

Thanks for all you have done Kevin, I wish you well with you future.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,065
  • Days Won:  54

I don't know how to feel about this, I get it; we're bottom and we've spent a lot of money at our level for this season. However Nolan did very well last season to get a squad that in my opinion was (loanees aside) a pretty average L2 squad, into the play-offs.

I think at the close of the season in some behind the scenes meeting something must have been said about trying to change to the style of play. I know it wasn't great to watch at times but Nolan got system that worked for the players. Big guys upfront, a bit skill out wide, 2 battlers in CM that provided the back 4 with protection and a style that revolved around getting the ball up the pitch quickly, getting the ball into the box, pressing the opposition and winning the 50-50 balls.

In the space of 3 months we've bought in technically good footballers and tried to change the style of play to pretty football with a manager who all his career has played this direct and physical style of play. Somethings got to give and a guess it's easier to get rid of Nolan then revert back to our old ways with players that don't really now fit this system.

But WHY did we change something that fundamentally worked for us? A system that got us into the play-offs. Had we signed the likes that fitted that system in the summer we probably would have started the season with a better points return.

If we're so intent on playing on the floor football, you need a proven manger that gets results that way or we could be in for a long slog of a season...

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  89

Having reflected a bit, to me it seems there must've been something else going on with KN. The interviews he has given this season were strange, it was like he was nervous or a bit lost, which is not how he was last season. Perhaps these rumours of drinking a lot have some truth, perhaps not, but it doesn't fit right with me that we sacked a manager after 5 games purely based on those 5 games with what he achieved last season and the season before. 

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,808
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

@Super_Danny_Allsopp 32 points from a possible 84 since 1st January, name another L2 club that purportedly spent 300k+ in the summer and the team still looks unbalanced

1 hour ago, Piethagoram said:

@Super_Danny_Allsopp 32 points from a possible 84 since 1st January, name another L2 club that purportedly spent 300k+ in the summer and the team still looks unbalanced

Unfair to judge IMO. The squad he assembled last season was decent, and had we not been stabbed in the back by those over the river and incompetent referees, we probably would have been in L1 this season. 

The team is unbalanced, that is 100% right. However, it could easily have been patched up with 2-3 loan signings, with a view to sorting it out in January or the off-season. Even if we didn't go up this season, IMO the squad is only 3-4 signings away from being as close to the complete outfit as we could expect. 

I'm more of the opinion that you need to build the right squad over 2-3 seasons, it can't just be produced by throwing 300k+ at it.  Look at Luton. 

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

I just think he was treated unfairly not enough time this season .. I’m not about last season or since Christmas this season.

@Super_Danny_AllsoppYou are given a budget with say 300k+ transfer fees to spend...... the team assembled is unbalanced... sorry, but that's Nolan's responsibility.....You are now  assuming a magic money tree for 3 more loan signings???

The defence as a unit is shambolic...with zero sign of improvement, key players available like Pell and Sowunmi overlooked....

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  1

On 28/08/2018 at 11:41, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Having reflected a bit, to me it seems there must've been something else going on with KN. The interviews he has given this season were strange, it was like he was nervous or a bit lost, which is not how he was last season. Perhaps these rumours of drinking a lot have some truth, perhaps not, but it doesn't fit right with me that we sacked a manager after 5 games purely based on those 5 games with what he achieved last season and the season before. 

He has recently had a bereavement in his family.

This might explain why he was nervous and appearing to be lost, other things could be on his mind. 

20 hours ago, Magic magpie said:

I just think he was treated unfairly not enough time this season .. I’m not about last season or since Christmas this season.

I feel this way too, he should and could have been given more time.

Alan Hardy seems to have stabbed him in the back in my opinion, his interview with the BBC yesterday seemed more about PR work than explaining why KN had been sacked.

7 hours ago, Piethagoram said:

iven a budget with say 300k+ transfer fees to spend...... the team assembled is unbalanced... sorry, but that's Nolan's responsibility.....You are now  assuming a magic money tree for 3 more loan signings???

The defence as a unit is shambolic...with zero sign of improvement, key players availab

I know, and I agree, but managers and especially rookie managers, make mistakes. It's about sticking with them through this learning progress.

Instead we have to pay compo for someone who could be better, or could be worse, to inherit the same squad looking to the same magic money tree?

3 minutes ago, TM1993 said:

This might explain why he was nervous and appearing to be lost, other things could be on his mind. 

Cheers. Didn't know that. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,939
  • Days Won:  162

5 minutes ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

I know, and I agree, but managers and especially rookie managers, make mistakes. It's about sticking with them through this learning progress.

Instead we have to pay compo for someone who could be better, or could be worse, to inherit the same squad looking to the same magic money tree?

all the talk ah has given about being prepared to give kn the time he needs.

yes this could have been last season and when he first came in but this seasons squad has switched the balance. last campaign notts was just a very hard working team, this time they seem to have forgotten that and feel the quality could do all the work. i dont know, i still would have given nolan more time.

i think a new manager might struggle with the squad, someone defensive minded may be interested but the amount of goals leaked must concern most.

• Content Count:  743
  • Days Won:  2

How long could Notts have continued under Kevin Nolan's leadership? I am annoyed that he has been sacked but part of me realises that the results had to improve. I am unsure if Nolan would have managed to do enough until January.

By then Notts could be well on there way to throwing the season down the drain.

It's a bold and brave decision but one I have come to accept.

5 hours ago, TM1993 said:

I feel this way too, he should and could have been given more time.

Alan Hardy seems to have stabbed him in the back in my opinion, his interview with the BBC yesterday seemed more about PR work than explaining why KN had been sacked.

Well said buddy 👏👏

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  138
  • Days Won:  0

On 27/08/2018 at 12:24, menzinho said:

But WHY did we change something that fundamentally worked for us? A system that got us into the play-offs. Had we signed the likes that fitted that system in the summer we probably would have started the season with a better points return.

I think in hindsight Kevin Nolan would have looked to strengthen the defence up and find someone capable of passing the ball back there.

All the talk over the years of need a good striker partnership only deflected how a proper team should be built, Jimmy Sirrel would have started at the back. I do feel that the club trying to attract fans back and season ticket holders has played a part in the sacking.

• Content Count:  534
  • Days Won:  1

10 hours ago, Super_Danny_Allsopp said:

Cheers. Didn't know that. 

I don't think many fans are aware of it.

When Duffy's contract came up for renewal, Nolan should have thought, can i get someone better? The likes of Omar Sowunmi  of Yeovil was available. Rather than wait for O'Connor to decide, we should have gone for Harry Pell from Cheltenham.

Maybe Forte could have stayed and save 100k in transfer fees

16 hours ago, Wilfordpie said:

How long could Notts have continued under Kevin Nolan's leadership? I am annoyed that he has been sacked but part of me realises that the results had to improve. I am unsure if Nolan would have managed to do enough until January.

By then Notts could be well on there way to throwing the season down the drain.

It's a bold and brave decision but one I have come to accept.

Agree with Wilford's take, on the situation. The pre season friendlies highlighted the deficiencies in the side that needed addressing.... Nolan just didnt recognise this and as in my other postings, the budget has been misspent.  In the recent managerial interviews, there was no sign that Nolan knew what he was doing and I admire Hardy for taking a difficult decision

• Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

I would have given Kevin Nolan more time, he deserved it after what he has done for the club and I feel five more games wouldn't have been much to ask for.

Football can change quickly and there was a chance things would start to settle.

Ben Hall being injured has been a massive blow, his hands have been tied with regards to the changes he could have made but then some people would be moaning about him not sticking with the starting 11 he had chosen. That's football for you.

8 hours ago, upthepies said:

I would have given Kevin Nolan more time, he deserved it after what he has done for the club and I feel five more games wouldn't have been much to ask for.

Football can change quickly and there was a chance things would start to settle.

Ben Hall being injured has been a massive blow, his hands have been tied with regards to the changes he could have made but then some people would be moaning about him not sticking with the starting 11 he had chosen. That's football for you.

I think you have summed up all of this mess to the point .. and fairly resoned I thought 

Archived