BritPop and the 90s

What do you remember most about the 90s?

As a child born in 87, I grew up appreciating the 80s a lot more than the music at the time. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed tuning into Trent FM and Dr Fox for the chart countdown with my brother. Yet it's only until my late 20s I truly grew to appreciate the music I grew up hearing at the time, especially when out. Funfairs would blast some absolute classics, it's not quite the same now with the drowning awful bubble popping managed lyrics that most modern artists come out with.

One band I loved as a kid was Supergrass, a band which often gets overlooked when you talk about the 90s and even when mentioning BritPop. 

Blur, Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene, Suede, Pulp etc.

What band(s) was your go-to choice for the genre? I could name others, like Space but I tried to narrow it down.

I preferred Blur more over Oasis, but I did like their songs. Ocean Colour Scene always gets me singing especially if "The Day We Caught The Train", my grandfather got me into this song as he played it in his car a fair bit - along with Train's "Drops of Jupiter" but that doesn't have much to do with this topic. It's more a small antidote to mention that I didn't actually know who sang The Day we Caught the Train until I heard it coming home from a school trip. Back before you could hold your phone up-to a speaker and let it tell you, I managed to track it down and later downloaded it on the internet using a lime based file sharing software (I do own a copy of the album though now).

Briefly touching upon Supergrass, I think they were massively ahead of their time and although they did well - I do think they tend to be vastly forgotten. 

"Caught by the fuzz, well I was, still on a buzz" 😎

before my time but i did like listening to oasis, blur and suede when i was younger. i would not be able to choose between the three, they all have some very good songs and the lyrics are good too.

Hated 90s music, probably the 2nd worst decade there has been apart from the last one. Can only think of the Foo Fighters that started up in 90s that I will actually listen to. I don't even listen to any of my albums produced that decade from 70s and 80s bands.

How Oasis ever made a living out of having a singer with a monotone voice I will never know, they only ever sounded half decent when Noel sang.

After the 00s music went downhill, rock music to about 05 was okay but pop music turned terrible.

Oasis and Blur are fine to me, I enjoy their music but I don't care for the techno/dance/trash genres. That's where I draw the line with the 90's, best decade for music in my opinion was the 80s.

I was born in 1980, so Britpop arrived at "that" time of my life. Like many others I was into Oasis and Blur - first Blur, then Oasis when Morning Glory came out, but Blur evolved in the later 90s whereas Oasis could never find their best form again. Oasis' first two albums were sensational, and their B-side collection "Masterplan" is also well worth a listen. The songs they put on B-sides in their ealy years (including Half the World Away) were streets ahead of anything they produced after Morning Glory.

My real favourites were Pulp, and I still listen to them today - quality music with real depth. They're not really a Britpop band though, they'd been together on independent labels since the early 80s. Looking back, many of the bands from that scene were pretty shallow, producing music you could tap your foot to but never really want to go back to. Suede, OCS, Echobelly, I'm looking at you ;)

BritPop was definitely not my scene at all. Being older than a few on here, the 90s were memorable for my uni days. The chance to see Manchester at its best in the 90s. BritPop on the rise, but also at the same time, the club scene evolving, major players in electronic music (my preferred choice) going world wide rather than just another Brit synth group. Depeche Mode, PSB, Erasure etc…the synth (and its massive subculture following) made the 90s a great period of music and of change.

@DangerousSausage I like Pulp, but the vocals of Jarvis Cocker tends to become too much. Sometimes I can listen to 'Common People' and really enjoy it, whereas others it's a song I skip depending on my mood. I know, there's people who feel the same about Space but I think the Liverpudlian accent is different.

Mind Tommy Scott seems to have a thing for ladies underwear. 😂

Archived