PoN Scouting - Striker

I think it fairly obvious that we are still lacking a striker who will run in behind and is a bit more clinical than what we currently have. 

Georgie Kelly

- 24 y/o Irish striker playing for Donegal in the LOI Premier League. 
- 23 in 35 for this season. Scored a few in the league below too but not as prolific in the premier league in previous seasons.
- Maintains a central position and on the shoulder of the defenders. 
- Looks to finish first time.
- Tall and looks decent in the air, but might not be the quickest.
- Contract ends at the end of December, but might be beyond our reach?

Luke Charman

- 23 y/o striker at Darlington in the NLN.
- 7 in 8 this season. 
- Scored a few for Newcastle U23s/PL2
- Played with Cal Roberts and I imagine Kyle Cameron in that Newcastle youth/reserve side.
- Can drop off a main striker like Wootton or run in behind. 
- Looks to finish as main priority. 
- Signed a contract until 2022 but would imagine any fee wouldn't be outlandish. 

Scored in 7 successive games as well. Could be one to look out for. Think we need someone with a bit of pace and is a bit of a poacher as well like Dennis. Others I'd like to see us have a look at are:

James Daly - Stevenage
Harrison Panayiotou - Livingston
Danny Mullen - Dundee
Courtney Duffus - Morecambe
Charlie Brown - MK

Given that we had a look at Andre Wright in the summer I’m sure Georgie Kelly will be a player we are aware of. And I know he’s not a striker but that Ross Tierney looked decent as well, only 20…

JJ Hooper is still without a club, more experience than Mitchell but probably too similar of a player. Mark Stallard was very complimentary of Billy Waters from Halifax, he really liked his movement.

Shame Lewis Knight has had so many injuries as we’ve never really seen what he can do, in terms of a striker who'll run in behind (and with his pace) he should be ideal.

There's some interesting names being mentioned, I would've thought Notts have players in all departments being looked at, and line-up when needed. I just hope Ian Burchnall realises that a goal scorer would bring a lot of confidence to the camp.

Whilst, Kyle Wootton has goals in him, and he's an extremely good player.

I just feel that someone else up top would take the pressure off him. If Kiaro Mitchell is as good as the club thinks, then he should be given a chance to chip in with some. Yet from what I see, he's not regular scorer and I recall people saying Wes Thomas couldn't hit a barn door. It makes me wonder how Mitchell escapes these comments because he's done nothing but run. Yes, he does work hard, but he's also someone I don't think should be a regular starter.

No matter how much work he does off the ball, players need to get on the scoresheet, and he's one.

Chesterfield will be laughing that we spent money on him, I hope he comes good but I think he's vastly overrated by many.

There was another name I'd like to add that I came across when looking for strikers that may be suitable. I didn't include him originally because he's not exactly what we're looking for; he's more of a Ruben/Cal like for like, but should one leave, or both (heaven forbid), this boy certainly looks a player (at least by trial over youtube):

Daniel Mandroiu

- 22 y/o Irish/Romanian attacking midfield/striker at Shamrock Rovers.
- Fantastic dribbling ability and can put some great balls through
- Good long range shot
- Can also run beyond strikers and occupy wide areas.
- Contracted for another year and could be beyond our reach.

Three criteria boxes for me.

Speed - much needed in this squad.

Notts has pace, but not a lot of  players who can use it to turn the opposition inside out or chase those long hit balls forward.

Goal scorer - proven striker who can bag goals.

Someone capable of finding the net and scoring goals from out of nothing would be a big draw for Notts.

Experience - someone who is of the age 25-29.

Young players are fine in the making, but Notts needs someone who knows the Non League and has that experience to outwit defenders.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived