Match Discussion: Game 35 - The Daggers (H)

PON_News

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18,282
  • Days Won:  80

Game 35 - The Daggers (H)

Team: Dagenham & Redbridge

Date: 25/02/2023

Where: Meadow Lane

What line-up should Luke Williams opt for? What will be the key areas for the Magpies to get a victory? What do you think the final score will be?

Have your say below, join in with the Pride of Nottingham match discussion.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

when i have seen them play, they try to play proper football but i have not seen them much this season. i do know they can get themselves back in games so notts will have to be at their best defensively. its more these games that make me a little wary than others, as a team i am sure they can adapt their style. it should be a good game.

dont forget if you cant make the game, its live on bt sports.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Can't wait to see the lads back in action again. Just business as usual just keep ticking the games off one by one. Can't really see anything other than another 3 points. Notts in great form. Dagenham haven't got the best form. 

I don't see the team changing to much maybe if Nemane is ready put him in for Jodi Jones who I thought was excellent on Tuesday night. So it's really hard to drop him other than that keep it the same. Would be good to see lemonheigh evans on the bench could maybe come on for the last 20. 

We keep marching on. 

Coyp. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,139
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It's going to be intresting since they sacked their manager last night, I am not sure what that means for us. I just hope they don't get someone who thinks kicking long balls and being rough will tempoarily fill the managerial gap.

They could play some decent football, which is why I am even more surprised Daryl McMahon has been let go.

Notts just needs to avoid anything that may slow down the game, keep the ball close and work it into spaces. I am sure we have the creativity to break them down, or even just create good chances. I do think we'll pick up a 2-0 win.

4 more goals would be nice but I honestly feel Dagenham & Redbrdige will make it difficult.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  382
  • Days Won:  8

Not a good result and hands the initiative to Wrexham, but not too much wrong with the performance. Could cost us, hope it doesn't knock confidence.

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,062
  • Days Won:  54

Incredibly unlucky to lose that. Hit the post a couple of times, about 3/4 shots cleared off the line and just general chances that we missed. Langstaff grabbed with two hands and pulled to the ground by a defender that turned his back on the ball and made no attempt to win in it... Pffft. 

Did we over commit players to find that winner? I don’t know as I feel in this title race you need the 3 points. And Effiong in a Notts shirt is putting that into row-z every day of the week, that’s just football for you.

I’m trying not to get too downbeat by it all, one game won’t define this season. Lots of games left, and I’ll be amazed if the Wrexham finish the season unbeaten, especially when the real pressure will be on in the last few games.

• Like 6

Frustrating game, I thought we were by far the better team, but unfortunately that doesn't win matches - Notts must stop giving sloppy goals away. I have always felt that it would come back to punish us, that said our unbeaten run felt incredible.

Very rarely do I moan about referees, although today's seemed absolutely dire!

Honestly, I feel without him, we would've won that game and, I know we had chances which should've been taken - whilst I reflect on the types of goals we conceded. We never seemed likely to cope with the poor officiating, sadly for us, it is one of those games and nothing we can do but regroup.

Some have expressed that they felt we deserved four penalties, two were absolute clear. Langstaff being pulled down by the throat, should've been given all day.

There's no excuse for missing that, even the assistant referee of that side can say it was hard to see.

Notts have now got to show their real character and bounce back, I think it will happen and, I'm not concerned that the games are going to be pointed at - as if this is where we lost the league.

For heaven’s sake, we're in a promotion race and the lads will do whatever it takes to keep this the case.

• Like 6

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,923
  • Days Won:  162

how notts gave them a way back in to the game was beyond frustrating, just so easy and i am disappointed that baldwin could not bite his tongue only to be sent off.

he was probably just frustrated and maybe right but we need him on the pitch.

the game was entertaining from the neutral, for us we have to grin and bear what is a very shocking performances by match officials who should not be allowed to referee a kids game. i dont want to make excuses but we were robbed due to the poor officiating. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It's hard to accept defeat when we played well, especially in the second half, but still lost. After the final whistle when a player was sent off it isn't great. While the referee's decisions on penalty calls may have been questionable, I'm amazed at how effectively the opposing team blocked our attempts. It feels like a tall order to ask for Chesterfield to help us out, given their current form. Nevertheless, we must move forward and focus on our next game. Our aim is to win the remaining 11 matches and secure victory in the last 2 games of the season to achieve our goal.

• Like 4

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,520
  • Days Won:  9

Losing a game is never easy, but it's a part of the sport. We knew that at some point, we would experience a loss, and unfortunately, that day has arrived. While it can be frustrating, we were not outplayed by the opposing team. Instead, it was a combination of bad luck and some questionable calls from the referees that contributed to our defeat.

Despite the disappointment of the loss, we are not giving up. We have a week off to regroup and refocus before our next game. It's essential to use this time wisely to address the issues that caused us to lose and work on our weaknesses. The season is not over yet, and we have many opportunities to turn things around and come out on top.

In the end, we must stay positive and keep our heads up. It's important to remember that losing one game does not define our entire season. We must continue to work hard, stay focused, and believe in ourselves and our abilities. With perseverance, determination, and a little bit of luck, we can come back stronger than ever and achieve success in the remainder of the season.

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

It's crucial that we use it as a source of motivation to go on another unbeaten streak and secure a victory against Wrexham on their home ground. Despite feeling hard done by some of the decisions made during the game, it's important to remember that such challenges are commonplace in this division. As a team, we need to stay focused and determined, using our disappointment as fuel to improve our performance and achieve our goals.

• Like 2

I know we should've had 2 maybe 3 penalties. I can't remember if it was the Chicksen one which I agreed with, the Langstaff was all day long. My memories become a little foggy now, but I recorded the game.

I'll re-watch it sometime, but the officials were dire.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  6
  • Days Won:  0

Really good game yesterday. Felt we dominated the game. As soon as Jodi Jones hit the post I new it just wouldn't be our day. Really pinned Dagenham in especially second half. But they had a game plan and they executed it well. They were looking to hit us on the counter and they did that for both of their goals. 

Well well well. Where do I get started on the ref yet again so poor. No idea what he's saw when Langstaff had a hand around his neck. Something needs to change with national League officiating. 

We all knew the run had to come to an end but no one expected it to be like that. The title race is no where near done. So much football to be played. We recover and we go again next week at Bromley. 

• Like 2

• Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Sometimes it just isn't your day. Nine times out of ten we'd have won that by two clear goals. If we could only keep a clean sheet, the penalty wouldn't even have been necessary. And Effiong finishing like that is just sod's law.

Not sure there's anything to say that hasn't been said a thousand times already tbh. We'd just better make sure we win again quickly.

I heard that Baldwin was shown the red card after the final whistle - any truth in that? Will he be suspended?

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I heard that Baldwin was shown the red card after the final whistle - any truth in that? Will he be suspended?

Yes, he tried to speak with the officials. Who I am told dismissed him, which made him respond with some chosen words which continued into the tunnel. 

• Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

The officials conducted a game with many poor decisions and missed fouls, making for a shocking display despite the good performance by Notts. Nevertheless, it was an entertaining match with two teams playing to win. While Dagenham & Redbridge initially sat back, their counterattacks posed a significant threat.

The result could have been in our favour if we had stopped insisting on walking the ball into the net and had not given the ball away so easily. Notts' two key mistakes resulted in the opposition's two goals, but I am proud of our undefeated streak.

I hope to see a swift return to our winning ways and shake off the fatigue that Luke Williams mentioned.

• Like 1

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Two factors that Notts is unable to overcome are bad officials and biased coverage. I sometimes fear that BT Sports is a curse when it comes to Notts. No matter what Notts tried to do to get back on top, it never seemed likely to happen, and I always feel that Dagenham & Redbridge would score to win the game.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

On 25/02/2023 at 23:14, TheSkipper said:

While the referee's decisions on penalty calls may have been questionable.

The referee's decision on the Langstaff penalty wasn't in the least bit questionable.  It was a blatant, obvious foul which any semi-competent referee would see as a definite penalty and definite red card under the laws of the game which the ref is paid to apply.  I thought it at the time, but on watching the replays there is absolutely no doubt at all, the ref and his lino had an unobstructed view.  I accept that we made a couple of defensive errors, I accept that we missed loads of chances, but I can't accept that the result of this game was decided more by incompetent officials than the 22 players on the pitch.

• Like 1

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

Both the assistant referee on the left and the referee failed to spot the obvious penalty on Langstaff. I completely concur that it was a missed call, but I chose not to intervene with any possible accusations of bribery towards the referee. My belief is that the officials displayed poor performance and most likely succumbed to the pressure of the cameras.