Tech Talk

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,519
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

This is a topic for all things tech related. Whether you want to share your latest gadgets, apps, games, or websites, or you want to ask for some advice, tips, or recommendations on anything tech related, this is the place.

Let’s talk about the latest trends and innovations in the tech world.

• Like 4

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392

Would anyone happen to have any tablet recommendations? I am not a fan of Apple products, as I find them difficult to understand. The tablet would need to be able to connect to my PC, allowing easy transfers between the two devices. It would also be handy if it could do the same with my phone.

My main preferences include a long battery life, a decent screen, and a fair amount of RAM. I am looking for nothing lower than 4GB and a minimum of 128GB of storage. Ideally, the tablet should be SD card compatible and, if possible, SIM-ready. Are there any suggestions?

• Like 3

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,960
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

@AmericanPie I’m just the opposite I have everything Apple, phone, iPad and computer and I love them, I was given a pc laptop for my charity work and it seems so “user unfriendly” compared to my apple gadgets. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Sorry that’s no help to you regarding recommendations, hopefully others will be able to help.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

lenovo and samsung have models with good batteries, decent ram and plenty of storage. i would suggest £200 upwards, i am not sure what it is in terms of dollars. if you find one, share a link here and i am sure we can advice you.

its important you find one you like the look off.

i am sure @Chris would lend you his thoughts too, hes great with technology.

• Like 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,367
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I'm not fond of Apple because they seem to prioritize their proprietary ecosystem over collaborating with external parties. Additionally, their repair policies strike me as somewhat unethical. These factors make me less inclined to support the company. Whilst I am a big fan of their OS, I don't like how they release something that they sell at a rather expensive price and then after a few years, expect you to upgrade. It just a cash cow, even Samsung are falling into this pattern.

3 hours ago, liampie said:

Yes, indeed. I am sure there are others who would give their opinion too.

The main thing is to go with a trusted brand; cheap ones always tend to have pitfalls. I mean, brands notoriously known for underselling their products.

You'll have to double check carriers, but something like this an affordable but efficant tablet.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1136203?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=rwxlpatll&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:804-627-9544|cid:16587510428|agid:134082819109|tid:pla-1965655100627|crid:587944422370|nw:u|rnd:1964271105100072679|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9046403&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16587510428&utm_term=1136203&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=134082819109&utm_custom2=804-627-9544&GPDP=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF9Y5KRtk5wDHEkM6FddYpJAWIKYZn83oJjBIJzH8WuTC7SmmOvCnYkaArniEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

• Like 2

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,789
  • Days Won:  27

The Samsung Tab series is excellent. Surface Pros are also popular and you can find one that runs Windows 10/11 natively with apps. They use ARM processors, which are efficient but not as powerful as laptop/computer CPUs. I would recommend avoiding Apple. While their products are good for those who can afford them, it can be difficult to get certain models repaired in a timely manner if something goes wrong.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

@AmericanPie I’m just the opposite I have everything Apple, phone, iPad and computer and I love them, I was given a pc laptop for my charity work and it seems so “user unfriendly” compared to my apple gadgets. They are expensive but worth it in my opinion.

Sorry that’s no help to you regarding recommendations, hopefully others will be able to help.

I possessed an iPad whilst working as a lorry driver; the operating system was satisfactory, but I didn't have a computer at that time. Although, I had a compact laptop which was designated for work purposes. I discovered that converting and transferring music, as well as retrieving photos, was quite cumbersome. What I seek now is a device that I can simply plug in and effortlessly use.

8 hours ago, liampie said:

lenovo and samsung have models with good batteries, decent ram and plenty of storage. i would suggest £200 upwards, i am not sure what it is in terms of dollars. if you find one, share a link here and i am sure we can advice you.

its important you find one you like the look off.

Thank you.

5 hours ago, Chris said:

I'm not fond of Apple because they seem to prioritize their proprietary ecosystem over collaborating with external parties. Additionally, their repair policies strike me as somewhat unethical. These factors make me less inclined to support the company. Whilst I am a big fan of their OS, I don't like how they release something that they sell at a rather expensive price and then after a few years, expect you to upgrade. It just a cash cow, even Samsung are falling into this pattern.

Yes, indeed. I am sure there are others who would give their opinion too.

The main thing is to go with a trusted brand; cheap ones always tend to have pitfalls. I mean, brands notoriously known for underselling their products.

You'll have to double check carriers, but something like this an affordable but efficant tablet.

https://www.argos.co.uk/product/1136203?istCompanyId=a74d8886-5df9-4baa-b776-166b3bf9111c&istFeedId=c290d9a9-b5d6-423c-841d-2a559621874c&istItemId=rwxlpatll&istBid=t&&cmpid=GS001&_$ja=tsid:59157|acid:804-627-9544|cid:16587510428|agid:134082819109|tid:pla-1965655100627|crid:587944422370|nw:u|rnd:1964271105100072679|dvc:c|adp:|mt:|loc:9046403&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=16587510428&utm_term=1136203&utm_content=shopping&utm_custom1=134082819109&utm_custom2=804-627-9544&GPDP=true&gclid=Cj0KCQjwjryjBhD0ARIsAMLvnF9Y5KRtk5wDHEkM6FddYpJAWIKYZn83oJjBIJzH8WuTC7SmmOvCnYkaArniEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

I'll have a look at some of the local computer shops when I feel a bit more up to it, and I'll get back to you once I've compiled a list. Cheers!

4 hours ago, CliftonMagpie said:

The Samsung Tab series is excellent. Surface Pros are also popular and you can find one that runs Windows 10/11 natively with apps. They use ARM processors, which are efficient but not as powerful as laptop/computer CPUs. I would recommend avoiding Apple. While their products are good for those who can afford them, it can be difficult to get certain models repaired in a timely manner if something goes wrong.

I am not concerned about the expense, as long as it's justifiable. I could consider spending up to £600, assuming the device has a decent lifespan. A Windows tablet seems like a sensible investment, as I am familiar with it. I purchased a desktop computer after moving into my home, so I don't require an overly powerful device—just sufficient for everyday tasks and compact in size, since I plan to take walks once things receive approval.

• Like 1

@AmericanPie: I will compile a list of suggestions, but if you're in the market for a Windows based machine and don't mind the price - the Surface Pro 9 is a beast.

You could consider dropping back to the 5th generation model, which should be more than efficient for what you want and considerably cheaper. However, as a long term investment it could be worthwhile going for the latest provided the price on point with what you are willing to spend.

• Like 1

Hi @Chris, thanks ever so much for your input. I'll investigate this matter further and get back to you soon. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  387
  • Days Won:  8

My tab is a kindle fire and I can't fault it. Don't like apple products at all.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Supporter+

What is the best way to deal with a laptop that’s no longer functional? I know I can wipe it clean but I’m worried (paranoid) that someone can still get any data off it such as bank details etc., if they know how. Is it simply a case of taking the HD out and smashing it with a hammer? I guess that would sort it for good. 

• Like 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  502
  • Days Won:  2

57 minutes ago, Fan of Big Tone said:

What is the best way to deal with a laptop that’s no longer functional? I know I can wipe it clean but I’m worried (paranoid) that someone can still get any data off it such as bank details etc., if they know how. Is it simply a case of taking the HD out and smashing it with a hammer? I guess that would sort it for good. 

That's my approach!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Content Count:  18,310
  • Days Won:  28

On 07/07/2023 at 09:03, Fan of Big Tone said:

It depends what the problem is with the laptop because its the harddrive is the issue then its abit harder to get data off but normally not impossible. That is assuming your not talking about an apple product because they are alot harder to get into if you have issues.

If you just took out a harddrive out of a laptop and put it in another and that wasnt the issue, you would be able to use it in another after you updated drivers in the new device. If the harddrive was the issue, it wouldnt be that simple. Theres ways to troubleshoot laptops and find out whats wrong most of the time if it will turn on or opening it up via unscrewing it(be careful of ribbon cables and clips as they break easily) Chris is the expert in most of that though. Especially with @super_rams  reapeated mishaps 🤣.

• Like 1

Supporter+

There’s nothing wrong with the laptop apart from it’s obsolete now, I’ve taken everything off I want to and wiped the HD and it’s just kicking around I want to get rid of it. I think I’ll just take the hard drive out and smash it until it’s unusable.

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  5

@Fan of Big Tone Do you think the laptop would be usable with an SSD installed, rather than a mechanical hard drive? It would be a shame to destroy something that might be able to be repurposed. Once the HDD is removed, there’s no trace of you.

• Like 1

Supporter+
11 minutes ago, BromPie said:

@Fan of Big Tone Do you think the laptop would be usable with an SSD installed, rather than a mechanical hard drive? It would be a shame to destroy something that might be able to be repurposed. Once the HDD is removed, there’s no trace of you.

It’s really old and our son informs us that it is now unusable because it’s so out of date.

• Content Count:  18,310
  • Days Won:  28

Out of date and old things can still be used with a few upgraded parts if they were too slow or fine to use if it wasnt. If someone wanted a laptop to use without playing games, its likely the laptop would be fine for someone to use even if its old/out of date. It would be a shame to destroy it. @Fan of Big Tone

• Content Count:  13,083
  • Days Won:  162

@cheeky~k8 is right. @Fan of Big Tone whats the model of the laptop? there are alternatives to windows that can be installed on older machines but if its really old. then it might be a pointless exercise. it all depends on the cpu in the laptop and how much physical ram it can hold.

Edited by liampie

Supporter+

@liampie it’s a Compaq it’s actually one our son gave us about 12 years ago and he’d had it for a while so it’s almost antique as far as laptops go. 😂

• Haha 1

On 13/07/2023 at 22:15, Fan of Big Tone said:

@liampie it’s a Compaq it’s actually one our son gave us about 12 years ago and he’d had it for a while so it’s almost antique as far as laptops go. 😂

What you want to do, is place the machine beneath one of your back tyres. Then you need to proceed to get into your car, then reverse back as if you were going out. When you hear the sound of breaking plastic and a good crunching sound. Proceed to stopping, then jump out frantically and act as if this was all an accident.

Congratulations, you've just taken care of damaging the laptop in the @Super_Danny_Allsopp style. ;) 

• Haha 2

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,514
  • Days Won:  15

Follow @Chris’s advice, @Fan of Big Tone. There’s no way the computer can be salvaged from that. Do it with the hard drive, unless you can repurpose it. You can download free software that fully wipes the drives and prevents any form of data recovery. If you’re technologically minded, follow a guide on it.

• Like 2

There's no coming back from that, if you prefer cause water damage to the device as that's also something nobody would put the time into repairing. I mean, there's always the odd crazy person on YouTube but the chances of it working is in the low percentages.