Luke Williams : Notts v Stoke City

Piethagoram

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

If I wanted to win every pre season friendly I wouldn’t line up Stoke and Nottingham Forest.

Exactly, those fans who were moaning yesterday should realise that pre season friendlies are not like competitive games they are a way for the coaches to assess the players and get them match ready.

Luke admits that he never expected to win but if we had played at our best we wouldn’t have been beaten quite so comprehensively. He says we gifted two goals.

Trust in Williams he knows what he’s doing.

• Like 9

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Agree with what LW was saying. It gives the players something to think about and motivate them to prepare for tougher challenges that lay ahead for the upcoming season back in the EFL. Of course losing like that is gonna be frustrating but it's pre season and as @Fan of Big Tone mentioned it gives the manager time to assess players to get them ready for the season. 

• Like 8

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  1,465
  • Days Won:  5

I do think Luke Williams should have started with what he felt would be his starting line-up. The youngsters could have come on, and it would have given more structure at the back. Notts didn’t play well until we made the changes. I am not one to complain, but I think all these complaints could be handled better. I feel sorry for the young players who are being criticised. They were thrown into the deep end against a very good team. Williams is right that we need to improve defensively. We can’t afford to get away with things, and knowing he can now take action is reassuring. He seems upset, even though he speaks calmly. Fair play to him for saying he has to do better, but losing to Stoke City isn’t a major concern.

• Like 8

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,469
  • Days Won:  15

Luke Williams isn’t going to point out the problem when the club is trying hard to bridge the connection between them and the fans. However, many of the people who think we should have played better might have a fair point. Those who hurled abuse and said things towards certain players, like Aidan Stone, were not needed. Just look at the pressure it causes. It’s taken what seemed a merry point into something frustrating for all involved. Williams looks like a man who blames himself, like he could have protected them, but sometimes fans need to show a bit of encouragement. It’s a pre-season friendly; some supposed Notts fans are a shambles.

• Like 7

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

it was a nice idea to feature some of the youth players, in fairness some of the senior ones made just as many mistakes and its because stoke were relentless with wanting to get the ball back. the quality of their play and the ability they had in stopping us from playing made it hard. from the moment the ball kicked off, it looked like it was going to be an up hill battle.

i dont think anyone can be harsh of the players, because without this lesson it would be have been something we may have worked on from here in training.

if luke williams focuses on our handling with pressure and defensive play, at least it should be corrected in time for the bigger games in the league.

• Like 5

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think Luke Williams gives a very detailed and thoughtful interview. I agree he looks upset, and I think it's better we had experience this than if we hadn't. I mean, that's what a pre-season friendly is for, and it's hardly the end of the world.

Connell Rawlinson did well when he came on. I think he showed his experience and although Stoke wasn't the same as they were in the first half - it does show us that Rawlinson can help organise the defence.

We won't have this issue in the season, because we will be playing a settled squad which should be our best XI.

However, this is the reason why some managers don't play youth players until they're clearly ready. Luke will refrain from giving a nudge to the small minority of supporters who vocalise negativity at games due to simple mistakes. There's just no need to shout at the players; it's laughable how obsessed some get when it comes to throwing their toys out of the pram.

• Like 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,898
  • Days Won:  5

I didn’t think Notts would beat Stoke. I thought we might be able to match them more closely, but there was a lot for the players to get used to in the first half. They pressed, bullied and wouldn’t let us have a second. Young players will always rush and make mistakes, but I don’t see it as being a problem. A stronger squad in the first half would have dealt with it differently, and I continue to encourage Williams to give the right youngsters more game time.

• Like 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,733
  • Days Won:  27

I don’t think it’s something we need to worry too much about. Luke Williams and the coaching team will spend time watching the footage. We might finally start to improve from the aerial threat and our own mistakes, which would go a long way. I doubt any League Two team will be able to play like Stoke City did, and in the season we will be at full strength. I don’t know why anyone would worry. If we beat Forest, fans will soon start saying we’re going to win the league. I trust Williams and the coaching team, and the players also deserve to be supported, which is what I will do.

• Like 3

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,461
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

It’s food for thought, nothing more. It’s not going to lead to relegation; we are better than most of the teams in League Two. Defensively, mistakes will happen if you throw inexperienced youngsters into the mix against a team like Stoke City. I hope Williams doesn’t refrain from giving the youngsters time against Forest, but he may want to start the strongest defence we can. This will highlight if we do need another CB or if we can make do with a youth player filling in.

• Like 2

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,138
  • Days Won:  2

No way would Notts have beaten Stoke, but it’s possible that we could have given them more of a game. I don’t blame the players for the mistakes. Stoke pressed and hassled the players, making it hard. Even if it was a cup game, I wouldn’t be mad. You have to admit we were beaten by a team that wanted to put on a dominating performance in a friendly. Beating us has no bearing on our season or theirs; it just looks good for them.

• Like 1

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

Luke Williams’ comments reflect his will. He’s detailed in his thoughts and must have wondered what exactly went wrong from the touchline without dwelling on it. I feel sorry for him and the youth players. To include them in such a big game, you can forgive their nerves for getting the better of them.