Football League Nicknames

KB1862

Supporter+

Yes, I’d read that before, Notts probably got fed up  with headlines like “Lambs to the slaughter”. :joker:

• Like 6

I can't recall all the details, but it involved a transition from solid white shirts to black and white stripes. There's additional information, but I'm uncertain about the specifics. The name "Notts as the Lambs" doesn't quite sound right.

• Like 5

Supporter+

I think I read that Notts were originally named after a Nottingham gang of thugs called The Lambs.

• Like 4

Indeed, Notts didn’t want any association with a gang, so they altered the club colours and nickname, subsequently becoming ‘The Magpies’.

In 1877 Notts, ever mindful of their genteel background, (viewed as snobbery by the other club in town), moved on to the ‘Gentlemen of Nottinghamshire Cricket Club’ at Beeston. Genteel or snobbish, County called themselves the ‘Lambs’ in those days, a provocative name despite its seeming meekness, as it was allegedly derived from an infamous gang of Nottingham thugs. In the same year County cemented their reputation for snobbery by dropping Forest from their fixture list, apparently because the latter’s humble, artisans’ background was viewed in a poor light by the club’s other regular opponents.

https://thebeautifulhistory.wordpress.com/clubs/notts-county/

• Like 5

Blake is on the right path, as are the comments about changing from 'The Lambs' but Notts was never associated with them.

It's also nothing to do with 'snobbery attitude' although Notts were very well snobs back then. The truth is, when Notts decided to drop the nickname, it was due to them not wanting to be associated by mistake with the Nottingham gang. Plans were already afoot seasons before, in regard to Notts becoming 'The Magpies'.

The reason people label the snobbish comments, is because of the creation of Mr Magpie, aka the Gentleman Magpie.

Lambs were associated with Notts because they were used to reduce the size of the grass commonly used for grounds. Also, after The Park was used, Notts played for a time on the Forest before moving to Meadow Lane around 1910 from Trent Bridge.

In 1877, Notts wore an orange shirt, which was replaced with a chocolate and blue halve and halve shirt.

Around this time, Notts was trying to establish themselves as more of a football club, like many teams who were formed on the back of playing cricket and having something to do during winter. 1890 was the first year Notts went for what we consider to be traditional black and white stripes. Which is where 'The Magpies' was first mentioned and adopted by Notts.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+
On 14/09/2023 at 22:59, Chris said:

The reason people label the snobbish comments, is because of the creation of Mr Magpie, aka the Gentleman Magpie.

Here’s an early depiction of Mr. Magpie he does look rather dapper.

IMG_5360.jpeg

• Like 1