Robbie

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Edited by Robbie
  • Sad 10

• Robbie changed the title to Sven Goran-Eriksson, Cancer Diagnosis.

Supporter+

Heartbreaking news today, love to all his family.

• Like 9

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

This is tragic news for Sven, his family and friends, I can’t imagine getting a diagnosis like that it must be awful for him.

More here 

Sven-Goran Eriksson: Former England manager says he has cancer and 'best case a year' to live https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/67942943

• Like 4
  • Sad 4

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

This is devastating news, my thoughts are with Sven and everyone close to him.

• Like 2
  • Sad 5

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,966
  • Days Won:  5

This is disheartening news. Sven did Notts a massive favour when he attempted to find a buyer and forgave the money he was owed by the fraudulent Munto. I hope he surpasses the expectations.

• Like 6
  • Sad 2

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I saw his interview on East Midlands Today.

He looked quite different, and it was horrible to see just how much he had changed. I know, he's 75, but he's always looked rather healthy. It's such a shame; I really wish him and his family all the best. I don't feel it's appropriate to share an image of him from the interview, but for anyone who saw it will understand what I mean. It's awful!

When I worked at Harts Restaurant and Hotel, I met him many times and due to our first encounter whenever he was in - he would ask to say hello to me.

The first time I met him, I froze and thought that I would be sacked instantly because I was working as a kitchen porter. I had to fetch something from the store room and, the general manager hated kitchen staff being seen in the lobby areas, but there was no other way to access it. The head chef used to pop his head out of the kitchen door to see if the coast was clear for us 'unseen workers'.

It just so happens that I was wearing an old Notts shirt (plain white), I was coming down some stairs as I noticed Sven walking from the direction of the men's room. I was overwhelmed and a little starstruck. We're not supposed to interact with dinners or guests, he walked up to me and said "Hello", I didn't reply. He said, 'Oh, I see. You support Nottingham County;. 😁

I replied. 'Yes, I support Notts County.' He asked me how long I had supported them, he replied 'I like Nottingham and Nottingham County. He also enquired about Forest, which is where I politely mentioned that it is Notts County and Nottingham Forest, informing Sven that people wouldn't like it and would pick up on it. He thanked me and asked if I would be watching the next Notts game. I told him I would be working, but I do make games when my rota is free.

A little side note, one of the other times Sven spoke to me, I mentioned that I was floating the idea of taking my Notts forum more seriously. It was him, who told me to do it.

I called @GrannyPie on my break and told her about this, briefly speaking to @super_ram.

In 2006, I started a basic forum under the domain notts-county.co.uk. It was just family and select friends, quite a simple setup. It merged into the Pride of Nottingham. I'm very thankful for the kindness Sven showed me because it proved what a gentleman he is.

• Like 2
  • Love 8

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,406
  • Days Won:  69

Very sad news intensified by the local and personal connections.I wish him and his family strength at this very difficult time.

• Like 7

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  422
  • Days Won:  1

Sven played a part in encouraging the Pride of Nottingham? What a man. He wasn't treated very well when he took charge of England, but my respect was earned for all he did for Notts. I found the news to be very sad, but at least he has spoken confidently and has said he will live every day to the fullest. I wish him well, despite the awful news.

• Like 3
  • Love 3

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  176
  • Days Won:  0

I hope Sven enjoys his remaining time, it’s sad he’s ill but he can now make the most of his days. He’s had a good life.

• Like 3

• Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

its not good news, but 75 is a good age and although its horrible to know that he has cancer. i hope he manages to make the most of his time with his family and friends, he should be able to see the remainder out well. very emotionally, but it can still be positive in a way.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

• Content Count:  10,954
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+
On 12/01/2024 at 16:09, Chris said:

I saw his interview on East Midlands Today.

He looked quite different, and it was horrible to see just how much he had changed. I know, he's 75, but he's always looked rather healthy. It's such a shame; I really wish him and his family all the best. I don't feel it's appropriate to share an image of him from the interview, but for anyone who saw it will understand what I mean. It's awful!

When I worked at Harts Restaurant and Hotel, I met him many times and due to our first encounter whenever he was in - he would ask to say hello to me.

The first time I met him, I froze and thought that I would be sacked instantly because I was working as a kitchen porter. I had to fetch something from the store room and, the general manager hated kitchen staff being seen in the lobby areas, but there was no other way to access it. The head chef used to pop his head out of the kitchen door to see if the coast was clear for us 'unseen workers'.

It just so happens that I was wearing an old Notts shirt (plain white), I was coming down some stairs as I noticed Sven walking from the direction of the men's room. I was overwhelmed and a little starstruck. We're not supposed to interact with dinners or guests, he walked up to me and said "Hello", I didn't reply. He said, 'Oh, I see. You support Nottingham County;. 😁

I replied. 'Yes, I support Notts County.' He asked me how long I had supported them, he replied 'I like Nottingham and Nottingham County. He also enquired about Forest, which is where I politely mentioned that it is Notts County and Nottingham Forest, informing Sven that people wouldn't like it and would pick up on it. He thanked me and asked if I would be watching the next Notts game. I told him I would be working, but I do make games when my rota is free.

A little side note, one of the other times Sven spoke to me, I mentioned that I was floating the idea of taking my Notts forum more seriously. It was him, who told me to do it.

I called @GrannyPie on my break and told her about this, briefly speaking to @super_ram.

In 2006, I started a basic forum under the domain notts-county.co.uk. It was just family and select friends, quite a simple setup. It merged into the Pride of Nottingham. I'm very thankful for the kindness Sven showed me because it proved what a gentleman he is.

That’s a great story @Chris thanks for sharing it. I’ve heard other people say what a friendly guy he is and how he lives for football, Neil Bishop told some good stories about him when they were both at Notts, how he’d turn up in the pouring rain to watch training etc. 

14 hours ago, liampie said:

its not good news, but 75 is a good age

Err, you won’t think that when you’re in your 70s like me and @super_ram I want to have a few more years yet.

I’m only teasing @liampie when I was your age I thought 75 was ancient. 

• Like 2

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  3,392
  • Days Won:  18

It's very sad news. I hope he enjoys and manages to make the most of the time he has left. It would be amazing to see if Notts could invite him back for a game, but then there are far more important things.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@AmericanPie he's life President of our club, so he will always be welcome here.

• Like 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

12 hours ago, AmericanPie said:

It's very sad news. I hope he enjoys and manages to make the most of the time he has left. It would be amazing to see if Notts could invite him back for a game, but then there are far more important things.

He made big waves when he joined us, but from his point of view we were a side note in his career. He did mention that he always wanted to manage Liverpool, and plans might be afoot for him to coach their veterans in a charity match in March if he's well enough. Fingers crossed it happens, it would be a lovely gesture.

• Like 2

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  634
  • Days Won:  2

It’s unfortunate to hear about Sven. I hope he’s doing well and continues to enjoy his life to the maximum.

• Like 3

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

It's very heartbreaking news.

I've always been a fan of Sven. From an England perspective, he gave us some good times. Especially that 5-1 thrashing against Germany.

I feel like he didn't and still doesn't get enough praise for what he did while in charge of England. He had the "Golden Generation" and people are often critical that we didn't win anything with the squad that we had back then. But, people seem to forget that around the same time other teams had star studded teams. France had the likes of Henry & Zidane. Brazil with R9, Ronaldinho and Rivaldo. Just to name a couple of teams and players. Sven still managed to get England to go toe to toe with these teams. There was never a feeling of doubt about getting something out of the game while he was manager of England.

I also like how he addressed the media. I watched Rooney's documentary a year or 2 ago and there is a clip of Sven talking in a press conference telling the media to lay off Rooney and allow him to be free as he is the future of English football. He knew what the media used to do to English players when they were very talented players that had the countries weight on their shoulders. He even mentions during the documentary years after that that he didn't like how the media handled situations involving the England team or managers. 

I think this has been a terrific gesture by Klopp and Liverpool to make his dreams come true

https://www.cnn.com/2024/01/20/sport/jurgen-klopp-sven-goran-eriksson-liverpool-manager-spt-intl/index.html

I wish him all the best for what life he has left and I thank him for the memories. 

• Like 2