Match Discussion: Game 33 - The Exiles (A)

PON_News

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,404
  • Days Won:  194
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

The goals tonight.

The

• Like 6

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,111
  • Days Won:  54

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time this season since MK Dons away that we’ve started with 4 natural defenders on the pitch (we played Chicksen at LWB cos Jodi was with Malta, and the back 3 was Cameron, Brinds and Rawlo) I think it's been long over due! I was all for the changes when I saw the team sheet before the game I'm so glad they worked.

Given the good form Newport were in that is probably our best away performance of the season. I'm hoping that Gillingham game was a bit of an anomaly in terms of our defending because overall since Maynard has come in we've looked a lot better. The only real negative from tonight was that we didn't get the clean sheet, but you can't have everything I guess. We were comfortably the better team over the 90 minutes, and it's great to be able to celebrate a win again!

Not sure I want to really congratulate Mansfield but they've done us a bit of a favour seriously damaging Harrogate's GD, and Bradford putting 4 past MK is a bonus too.

And @Fozzy I think Macari played across the whole back line in his time at Stoke but when he was on loan with Dundalk he did play primarily as a RB.

Edited by menzinho
  • Like 6
  • Love 2

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,314
  • Days Won:  17

Well I think I'd like a big dollop of custard with my Piece of Humble Pie. This certainly wasn't a result I was expecting, certainly not after Newport had won their last four games, but our New Gaffer as shown he's not afraid to make changes and tighten things up at the back. Watching the goals all were taken well, and what prey can you say about Jodi Jones the lad's on Fire at the moment and there's not many defenders can stop him, perhaps only by hacking him down. Glad to see both Macca and Didzy back among the goals. Hollywood FC will be a different ball game come Saturday, but if the Magpies can put in the same type of performance, I feel the lads do have a chance of getting some sort of result. Lets hope so. YOU PIES.

• Like 6

• Followers:  25
  • Content Count:  30,365
  • Days Won:  1,063
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I wasn't really expecting this, hopefully, this can fuel a resurgence in form.

The goals were well worked, I hope David McGoldrick's tap in helps to lift his performances and Jodi Jones with his magic, to assist Macaulay Langstaff. This is a very good result, it's good to see Notts having picked up three points on the road. If anyone attended, I would love to know more about the penalty. I was at my dad's peering over at his laptop as he watched the Rams beat Exeter City. They did an outstanding job! So, I am pleased to see our lads doing it too.

It was nice to hear Jake go, 'Dad, it's 1-0, Langstaff', then 'Dad, it's 2-0 now'. :D

Whilst this is great for the lads, plus Stuart Maynard - I do acknowledge that there's still much work to do. I just hope for better form, if that means we pick up wins but don't quite reach the playoffs, so be it. However, if we can build and maintain an undefeated streak, who knows? It would be nice to pick up wins and draws, instead of the defeats suffered in this depressing bad patch of late.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,667
  • Days Won:  89

It was a really good performance to make the form team in the league look extremely below par.

Very daring by Stewart Maynard to switch formations and keeper in the same game. I'm sure, to coin a Paul Mace phrase, the social media numpties, have now 180'd quicker than Jodi Jones.

Keeper looked excellent with his feet and distribution on the whole. Made the correct decision time and time again, could tell her was trusted by the defence too. However, had a couple of dodgy moments with the ball in hand. I think that's what we'll have to settle for with him, brilliant on the deck, always a mistake in him though.

Jodi Jones is just different class. He's far beyond L2 level.

Robertson fantastic last night. Dominated the midfield by covering every blade and being really effective with the ball at his feet.

Cameron's performance was concerning. Most of Newport's danger moments came from his side. The amount of time attackers could run in behind him was evident, plus his slow reaction time. Lucky Baldwin covered for him for the most part. He was however, much more dominant in the air. 

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,501
  • Days Won:  287

When the teamsheet came out for tonight, no one knew quite how we would be lining up. Apparently only Baldwin, Warner and Cameron were practicing headers during the warm-up in an attempt to make Newport think we'd be playing a back three. SM obviously likes to keep the opposition guessing, and I'm really chuffed that his bravery and hard work paid off last night.

We looked a different proposition off the ball last night, and that made a huge difference. Robertson looks a superb signing. Ashby Hammond looked decent enough with the ball at his feet, but if you're hoping to see a keeper who'll come off his line and claim crosses, you'll be disappointed. Almost saved the penalty though. And of course Jones is in unreal form right now.

• Like 5

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  13,082
  • Days Won:  162

by far the best performance notts has showed for awhile, even before macaualay langstaff scored we looked more organised and a threat going forward. i could not make out what happened with the penalty, but i agree with stuart maynard that it was misfortunate for us because we defended very well. there was times it needed to be a bit better, but it was never at the cost of newport looking like they would score from open play.

i thought luca ashby hammond did well when needed.

the tactics did make a difference with maynard tweaking things, newport did not react to it and it was just a good win. it felt like it was more of a step forward than just a win for a new manager. it gave hope and with our away form being so poor, at least we might improve on it.

• Like 4

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  10
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Chris said:

I wasn't really expecting this, hopefully, this can fuel a resurgence in form.

The goals were well worked, I hope David McGoldrick's tap in helps to lift his performances and Jodi Jones with his magic, to assist Macaulay Langstaff. This is a very good result, it's good to see Notts having picked up three points on the road. If anyone attended, I would love to know more about the penalty. I was at my dad's peering over at his laptop as he watched the Rams beat Exeter City. They did an outstanding job! So, I am pleased to see our lads doing it too.

It was nice to hear Jake go, 'Dad, it's 1-0, Langstaff', then 'Dad, it's 2-0 now'. :D

Whilst this is great for the lads, plus Stuart Maynard - I do acknowledge that there's still much work to do. I just hope for better form, if that means we pick up wins but don't quite reach the playoffs, so be it. However, if we can build and maintain an undefeated streak, who knows? It would be nice to pick up wins and draws, instead of the defeats suffered in this depressing bad patch of late.

It was 100% a penalty it was stupid of obrian he was tugging and pulling the forwards arm in a very crowded box no need for it at all.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,371
  • Days Won:  1

Securing the victory is the key point. Their manager suggested they could have performed better, yet accepted all responsibility for the loss. As for Newport, they had their moments, but it felt rather ordinary once we netted a goal.

• Like 2

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,134
  • Days Won:  2

I think the win should calm some fans. It’s not possible to win every match and bouncing back from a slump can be hard. We all assumed Stuart Maynard would have a smooth ride, but it’s been quite the opposite. This is a fantastic win for him and the team.

• Like 2