thoughts on how the notts team is developing?

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,874
  • Days Won:  162

i am hoping the next signing addresses the keeper situation we have, sam slocombe is injury prone and tiernan brooks is untested but i would like to see that change. i just feel we need a stronger option to force competition between the keepers. i would like another cb, along with a wingback and a central midfielder that is not like what we have.

that would be 4 more signings, 27 players in the squad. giving us option to play the youngsters in the right environment.

rawlinson and randall may end up being released, which would open the door. i am hoping we avoid having a squad around 24 players in size and go further a large one with depth. thoughts?

gk

• alex bass
  • sam slocombe
  • tiernan brooks

d

• kyle cameron
  • connell rawlinson [transfer listed]
  • adam chicksen
  • lucien mahovo [youngster]
  • lewis macari
  • jacob bedeau
  • matty platt
  • nick tsaroulla
  • rod mcdonald

m

• david crowley
  • sam austin
  • will randall [transfer listed]
  • matt palmer
  • scott robertson
  • james sanderson [youngster]
  • aaron nemane
  • jodi jones
  • curtis edwards

f

• macaulay langstaff
  • david mcgoldrick
  • cedwyn scott
  • alassana jatta
  • junior morias
  • Like 12

• liampie featured this topic

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,502
  • Days Won:  9

The team is in need of a new goalkeeper, one who brings experience but isn’t too advanced in age. An ideal candidate would be between 23-26 years old, which would provide Tiernan Brooks ample opportunity to emerge as the future first-choice keeper.

Regarding strikers, there seems to be no pressing need. Junior Morias, despite limited game time, has shown promise when played. It would be advantageous to recruit a player in the mould of a young Jim O’Brien, someone who is both a leader and reliable. However, Notts’ preference for younger players might make this challenging.

On the defence front, signing two additional centre backs could be unnecessary while Connell Rawlinson is still part of the team. He’s on the transfer list, but I’m hopeful he’ll have a chance to prove his worth, especially with Matt Platt and Jacob Bedeau as potential partners.

Overall, the squad is looking strong. My main hope is that the club avoids signing more up-and-coming players who could encroach on the playing time of James Sanderson and Luther Munakandafa.

• Like 8
  • Love 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,117
  • Days Won:  17

The Squad is slowly starting to take shape, however there is still one Vital Ingredient Still Missing. A Leader on the Pitch. Something Notts haven't had since Michael Doyle left. Jim O'Brien tried his Best but wasn't in the team for every game. The Man for the job should be a Defender or Defensive Mid fielder who can watch how things develop in front of him and can adapt himself and those around him to any situation the opposition come up with.

A New Keeper is a must with plenty of EFL Experience, yes I know Sam is experienced but at 36  I think he's coming to the end of his Career. A Keeper aged between 28-32 with a proven record and young Tiernan Brookes as the number two would seem a better choice. Young Brookes deserves his chance and repeatedly sending him out on loan isn't going to do  him any good.

Maybe a couple more Mean Defenders should be brought in. Along with Tiernan Brookes, James Sanderson and one other academy prospect should be promoted to the Senior Squad. The Attack looks good (on paper at least) so there shouldn't be any problems there. The only strange thing is since his injury nothing much has been mentioned about Alassana Jatta.

Edited by Wheelbarrow repair man
  • Like 8

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,369
  • Days Won:  161
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

I'm very happy how the Notts team is developing, with two good defenders brought in, the defence is looking much more solid already.

Pleased that it appears that we are not going to lose the big 3. That is big for Notts promotion chances.

I believe we need a right footed wing back to give Nemane competition, another right footed central defender, an experienced league 2 goalkeeper in his late 20s and a tenacious defensive midfielder.

If Notts take my advice I think we will have a squad to challenge for automatic promotion.

• Like 8

@Robbie

Don't want to Burst Your Bubble Fella, but it would seem the Notts board have a certain criteria  and any advice even if it was Earth Shattering Correct, they'll Ignore it.

• Haha 3

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Your on top form today mate with the wise cracks, you'll be making the Jokers wild thread redundant at this rate😀

But you are right over the advice but.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  30
  • Days Won:  0

Has anybody heard anything more about goalkeepers? 

Do you think there is any potential for steeling away Arthur Okonkwo from signing a permanent deal with Wrexham? 

There seems to have been a fair few goalkeeper transactions since May. 

• Like 7

47 minutes ago, Pies79 said:

Has anybody heard anything more about goalkeepers? 

@Pies79 this is a great topic highlighting potential keepers, started by @ARLukomski.

some speculation which has been shared inside the same topic.

the club is very good at keeping potential signings on the low.

• Like 8

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,961
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

A goalkeeper is of high importance.

If we could identify someone like Darren Ward, it would be a good call to have someone who can be inline to starting games alongside Tiernan Brooks. Brooks looks to be the future for us, and whilst I am also happy to see him given the chance. I think we need someone who has appearances to his name, young enough to improve but already has a wealth of experience.

I think one more CB is highly likely, I can imagine someone coming in who is a little more nonsense.

There's the chance we might be able to pick up a player who can cover a wide range of positions in the middle of the pitch, CB/DM/CM. That would be ideal, as I think depth and cover is something we must look at but also making sure players will get game time. I'm not a fan of small squads, as it's easy to see suspensions and injuries derail your progress. The club may choose to sign two more wingers/wing backs, as if Will Randall is leaving then we really do need the cover. Is there a young winger in the National League that we could swap Randall for? I don't see how he will fit in and the few times I've spoken to him. He leaves me feeling he's isolated and not very communicative.

There's no need for a striker, provided nobody leaves. Those rumours, I don't buy. I think it would be daft to make a change to the squad, when you think that player may be moving on. I think that is more likely to be at the end of the season, if anything does materialise. 👀

• Like 9

@Robbie

Nah I don't think the Jokers Wild thread is in any Danger. It's just that I Enjoy a Good Laugh and I also Enjoy telling Jokes and making People Laugh,  I Like to see People Happy.

To be Honest it's a shame  You Can't tell Dirty Jokes on the Jokers Wild thread. I've got quite a few of those !!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I think the squad is coming together quite nicely. Add a decent keeper and we'll be in a strong position. The jury is still out on SM. He has all the pieces now, he has no excuses. 

• Like 10

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,053
  • Days Won:  54

In terms of thinking for the start of next season I’d say we’ve got 18 senior players right now. Luther Munakandafa actually got released and I’m assuming the transfer listed players won’t be here come the start of the season. I’ve also not counted Mahovo & Sanderson, as I think both are likely to go out on loan over the course of the season.

So I’d say still needed are 1 GK, 1 CB, 1 RWB, 2 CMs. That would then take us up to 23 (25 with the youngsters).

I think the squad is looking good and Scott and Palmer will be like two new signings. For me the questions are more about the system and starting 11 particularly how do we fit all our best attackers in the team but not at the expense of our defence?

• Like 6
  • Love 3

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,442
  • Days Won:  287

It's a good starting point, but we need more. We obviously need a new number one unless we're going to take the plunge and go with Brooks.

At the back, I'm happy with our two new signings, although it remains to be seen either our style of play suits them. Since he's no longer captain, I'd expect Kyle Cameron not to be an automatic starter, we could even use him as a wing back. On the other side, Nemane is a good player but struggles against the better teams at this level, I'd like him to have some competition (which is what Randall was originally meant for). Maybe Chicksen could cover both sides.

I'm looking forward to seeing Palmer and Robertson playing together, but a midfield all-rounder to push them would be good. The squad looks a bit light on competition in general, but it's early days. 

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Content Count:  1,339
  • Days Won:  1

Certainly! Here are the simplified and restructured versions of your comments:

It might be tough to move on the players who are up for transfer, but the team is shaping up nicely. With four goalkeepers, choices are limited, but the others have a chance to get back into the game if they put in the effort. It’s a long shot, but the arrival of new talent might just motivate them. Plus, it could make them more attractive to other clubs. I’m keen to see a new winger join us next.

• Like 6

Supporter+

Four Quality players in this transfer window, and I'm sure that Notts haven't finished yet 

The squad they are putting together looks awesome on paper. We needed some depth to our squad and Notts are really looking to ensure we will have quality coming off the bench next season.

Of course they have to gel together as a team and I'm sure they will be all working hard on the training field and the first few friendly games for that to happen.

What we do know is that there will be a very competitive fight for first eleven places next season.

• Like 3

i hope not! @Piethagoram

i have updated the list with the two new additions and removed luther, i thought he was still with us but oh well. still we have five great options in attack. we could potentially sign another winger.

then otherwise i think a midfielder would do.

• Like 5

Supporter+
59 minutes ago, Piethagoram said:

One word of caution, are Notts preparing to receive a bid for Jodi Jones, an offer so high, they cannot refuse?

Why would they want to sell Jones? The side is looking very good now on paper.

He's under contract for another 2 years. You keep your best players. You don't sell them when there is no need to.

• Like 2

• Content Count:  1,339
  • Days Won:  1

Jodi Jones has recently revived his career following a less than ideal stint at Oxford United. He appears to be a sensible individual who recognises that taking pleasure in football significantly improves one’s performance. It would be rather unwise for the club to let go of Jodi Jones, as it’s improbable that he would desire a transfer to another team after rediscovering his passion for the sport here. The only exception might be if Coventry City showed interest in him once more, though that possibility seems quite remote.

• Like 6

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

The signings of Bass and Tsaroulla have made us one of the favourites for promotion. The minimum expectation with this squad is the playoffs. And I suspect there's more to come. 

• Like 6

yes, we need to to try to secure a playoff place. i am still disappointed to see fans moaning and saying negative things at every opportunity about stuart maynard. support the club and players if you dont like the manager, but dont bring the whole club down just to try to prove your point.

the squad is shaping nicely and it gives maynard a better chance to get a defence playing how we would want it too.

we have been poor defensively for years, so cut the guy some slack and hope he can. what is the worst that can be gained from getting behind the club? nothing, so they should do it.

• Like 7

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  4,719
  • Days Won:  27

Personally, I believe we need another centre back, midfielder, and potentially another player who can play wide. I wouldn’t want to limit James Sanderson’s opportunities. I believe he should start every cup game to gain experience, but I’m aware of Scott Robertson’s form and potential injuries like we had with Matt Palmer. If we signed another wide player, it would be a bonus if they could also start as a striker. I’m not expecting a player of Ronaldo’s calibre, or a potent striker. Just someone who will give their all and consistently perform well.

• Like 3

Supporter+

I'm just wandering don't we have another attacking midfielder in Didzy?

When strikers get older some do revert to an attacking or central midfield role, I can think of famous players like Rooney, Messi, & Ronaldo that have finished up in midfield when they lose some of their pace 

I think Didzy was kinda doing a type of halfway role for Notts last season