Who Will Get The Notts Number 9 Shirt?

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  7,479
  • Days Won:  166
  • 𝕏:  twitter @Robbie_NCFC

Supporter+

Macca has left the Club & gone to pastures new. 

I cannot think of a better number nine since I have been supporting Notts.

That's not to say that Notts have not had some brilliant number nines down the years because they have.

But maybe that could be for a future topic, I'm wondering which current player will take over the mantle of wearing the number nine shirt now Macca has gone.

Of course Notts may surprise us & bring in a new number nine, but from our current crop of attackers, who should have the number nine shirt?

There is a choice of course, from either, Jatta, Scott, McGoldrick or Morias.

All of them are quite capable of taking over the coveted position.

I have my choice, who is yours?

• Like 6

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,896
  • Days Won:  5

The role should go to Cedwyn Scott, unless the club is actively seeking a replacement for Macaulay Langstaff. It would be more fitting to give the role to his best mate.

• Like 7

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,000
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Unless we are looking to bring someone else in, I would give it to Cedwyn Scott.

The club might have a striker line-up and with the squad numbers yet to be announced, we could see some changes.

• Like 7
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,915
  • Days Won:  162

i cant say if they are serious suggests but i have read comments from some of our fans who believe the number needs retiring. 🤣

i dont really care who gets it, its just a number but i will say it would be nice if it actually started to mean something again. like the number 9 would always be a key player, a sign of their value in our team. these days, most are just numbers which is why it does not bother me.

• Like 6
  • Love 1

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Jatta or Scott but I agree with @liampie numbers don't really matter these days.

• Like 5

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,466
  • Days Won:  15

I’m not overly concerned about it. These days, squad numbers don’t seem to hold much significance. I’d like to think that someone like Cedwyn Scott would get it, but I can see the club giving it to someone else or leaving it vacant until we find a replacement for Macaulay Langstaff.

• Like 5
  • Love 1

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  1,054
  • Days Won:  13
  • 𝕏:  twitter @KB1862

Jatta or Scott will get it but it depends on who we bring in before squad numbers are assigned. I agree with @liampie numbers don't seem to mean anything these days as they once did. 

• Like 3

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,059
  • Days Won:  54

Jatta has only played 10 games and scored 5 goals, when you consider he was settling in for most of it that's very good. It took Ruben a while to get into his stride, the early signs for Jatta are very encouraging. Nothing against Scott, I think him Jatta should work well together, but I can see him playing a deeper role too. Jatta as the main striker for me!

• Like 5

• Followers:  8
  • Content Count:  2,294
  • Days Won:  58
  • 𝕏:  twitter ARLukomski

One of Ruari Paton, Brad Young, Michael Mellon, Will Evans, Colm Whelan, Johnny Kenny or Lee Bonis hopefully 

• Love 2

• Content Count:  3,458
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I don’t anticipate the club signing a striker anytime soon. The presence of the young lad from Derby among our trialists reinforces my belief that we’ll give our current forwards a chance. They may not get the number 9 shirt, which I think will be reserved for a special announcement. I suspect this will happen during the January transfer window, with the club using it to signal their intent to push for promotion. Players like Junior Morias, who don’t get much game time, deserve a chance. The number 9 shirt should be saved for a high-profile signing in January.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

Like a lot of things the in the Boring World of "Modern" Football, the 1 to 11 shirt numbers have been Sacrificed in favour of Squad numbers.

You should see our number  26 just Doesn't have the Same Ring To It Like, You Should See Our New Number 9.

Is this Something Else that's been Adopted from the "Continent?"

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I can't understand why they can't just have 1 to 11 for the starting 11 no matter who the player is, like they used to. If they are allowed 6 substitutes, just number them 12 to 17.

• Like 2

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

Lot of things going on in football that wasn't meant to be

Take assistant Referees for instance, they are Linesmen aren't they?

And soon we won't need them because we will have VAR AI that decides the offsides and when the ball goes out

We already have a limited AI operating in Euro 24 for offsides.

Sorry for going off topic.

Can you think of anything else that's been introduced in football that's a load of tripe?

• Like 1

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,144
  • Days Won:  17

@Robbie

Other things that I Think are a Load of Tripe in Modern Football? That could be a Long List, but all I'd Get Is 

Well Everything's Got  To Move On you can't stay in the Past Forever. So I Ain't Going To Waste My Breath. Just to say things were much better back in the Day when there were Managers, instead of Head Coaches and the English Game was the English Game and Not Full Of Foreign Coaches, Players and Owners mainly Americans, ( Chris & Alex seem to be the exception). And the Adoption of the Continental  Style of Playing Football.

• Love 1

Supporter+

@Wheelbarrow repair man

I agree, but I think the continentals have moved on from the kick it from side to side between the centre backs & back to the goalkeeper every time style.

When you watch Spain, Turkey, Georgia & Albania, they have mastered how to move it quickly up the field with pace.

When England changed to having pace up front against the Netherlands, they found success. That's the way to go.

Supporter+

I think that Jatta has put himself into contention to have the converted number nine shirt after the first three games of the season. He even looks like a number nine, and took his chances against Wealdstone like a number nine.

Still an opportunity for Scott, First and Moria's to stake a claim, but that window is getting smaller.

• Like 1

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  279
  • Days Won:  0

I believe Notts will recruit another forward. I have no objections to Cedwyn Scott or Junior Morias, but it seems Scott is preferred to play in a supporting striker role. Morias has appeared decent, but we haven’t seen him given a consistent run to fully comprehend his contribution.

The club will probably take their time to find the appropriate successor for Macaulay Langstaff, who, in my opinion, is more likely to be assigned the number 9 shirt.

Alternatively, the shirt might go to Alassana Jatta, but I personally think he will be given a different number.

On 12/07/2024 at 13:57, TheSkipper said:

I don’t anticipate the club signing a striker anytime soon. The presence of the young lad from Derby among our trialists reinforces my belief that we’ll give our current forwards a chance. They may not get the number 9 shirt, which I think will be reserved for a special announcement. I suspect this will happen during the January transfer window, with the club using it to signal their intent to push for promotion. Players like Junior Morias, who don’t get much game time, deserve a chance. The number 9 shirt should be saved for a high-profile signing in January.

I understand your point, but considering our lack of experienced strikers at this level, I believe the club will seek a long-term replacement. Morias should receive more playing time, but I think Jatta is the likely candidate from the current squad to play more. With Scott being favoured in a different role, it indicates that we need a bit more depth.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

Supporter+

Unless Morias goes, I don't think Notts need a striker to replace Langstaff. We have three excellent strikers already who are quite capable of scoring at least 15 goals a season with the attacking midfielders we have to supply them.

Jatta & Scott have to be the top two with McGoldrick & Morias, if he stays in reserve.

I'm very happy with the strike force that we have. If we need to strengthen this area in January we can do it then.