Have we improved under Derry?

wacky

I agree with sticking with him & yes we have definitely improved but with regard to staying up, who knows but for me the bad decisions today on all sides just sum up our season.

How many bad decisions have there been in the last 18 months? I'm not directing this at anyone person as it has been a collective that have made the decisions.

We have but haven't.

We pass the ball around, we look able to keep leads but only when things are going right. If and when things go against us, Derry doesn't quite have what is required to turn games around but I suspect that this is because 1) he doesn't have his own players yet 2) He's still learning. However compared to CK, we are slightly better off. I tried to have every faith in him as a manager but the guy would have sunk us, he should've gone sooner and perhaps then Derry might have been able to change things for the better.

I do believe that we can turn things around.

Agreed with most on this. He seems to want the right things, but show me a manager who would say different. He inspires me to keep going down and it obviously works occasionally with the players, but occasionally isn't going to keep us up.

I'd keep him and G&A for the long term now though. We've messed up far too many times with swapping managers for stupid reasons. These two seem to know what the want, they just need the tools to get there now. I feel another massive clear out on the way in the summer. I hope it works out for them better than it did for the other managers though. There is definitely something about his honesty that does want you to be involved. Shame the players only seem to hear it occasionally.

With him being a beginner he is going to make mistakes. In saying that though I've not really spotted any major mishaps yet. His choice of backup strikers might need looking at when he is not in panic against relegation as I don't think we have a strike force at all at the club. Even Spencer might flatter to deceive and the sending off wont help extend his contract.

He really needs to stamp on the indiscipline issue though. Seriously. How many yellows and reds are we picking up at the moment? Tonnes and most of them for stupid things. Nobody minds the 'committed challenge booking or the taking it for the team booking, but the stupid mistake ones need to be cut out. The Posh and todays reds might have just costed us relegation in the short term. I know that the season makes relegation, but we need to look at the time Derry has been in charge and those reds have cost us 6 pts.

Some things have improved and some haven't. I know we've had a few new players recently but its no excuse to keep losing. We need to play better consistently thats the problem. He gets them to play better at times and it slips at other matches.

The only thing he needs to do for me is to realise that the players that have let previous managers down are the ones letting him & GA down, the list is alot longer than Bell, Arquin & Haynes.

For me this constantly positive thing lets the players off lightly, i get a negative feeling will in the long run produce negative results but what message are they sending out to the other players that aren't playing? If you were sat on the bench you'd be thinking well sod it whats the point as no matter how poor the first 11 are i'm not going to get a game.

We need a revolution & have done for the last 18 months, this group of players have more bad eggs than not and for me we are certain to go down with the 11 that have started recently so give some other players a shot, because lets be honest they certainly can't do any worse.

I'd say so, cos I hated that crab like style from side to side along the back four. Sooner see hoofball than that.

Majority of the fans who make comments about hating hoofball, would no doubt like it if it meant winning games. I however do prefer seeing us playing good football, we pass a lot more consistently under Derry.

He needs to fix the issue when they become school boys and can't put together a single pass.

We could have gotten back into the game, if after when we went on the attack we calmed down and passed the ball. Instead the majority went straight into the path of the Shrewsbury team. A better side would have punished us, how many times did they counter us because of this? I lost count.

Supporter+

I think the way we play has improved under Derry but not the results, I agree with @magpiejue she said she hated the crab like football i.e. forever passing sideways and backwards and slow buildups which we saw under KC and CK, the football under Derry has been more exciting to watch and more positive, HOWEVER the results aren't coming but I think that is down to the personnel, I hope and pray that next season no matter what league we are in Derry will have a chance to bring his own team in filled with players that will play his way.

I think the way we play has improved under Derry but not the results, I agree with @magpiejue she said she hated the crab like football i.e. forever passing sideways and backwards and slow buildups which we saw under KC and CK, the football under Derry has been more exciting to watch and more positive, HOWEVER the results aren't coming but I think that is down to the personnel, I hope and pray that next season no matter what league we are in Derry will have a chance to bring his own team in filled with players that will play his way.

Derry will have to bring his own players in, I wouldn't be against starting again. I.E letting all of the current crop go, I would keep Sheehan and Liddle + a few others. Yet it's up to the man in charge.

No bench warmers please.

Players all capable of contributing.

The forward play ,to me ,was a bit predictable.I would have liked to see more movement off the ball,before the sending off.

I think there has been an improvement and that's why the results are so disappointing. Derry talks about things being ingrained here and needs to change their mindset. Take Arquin for example, a very capable player who can score as currently proving in Scotland. For some reason he just didn't want to play and was extremely lazy at times. Derry had to let him go because of his attitude! I believe we wouldn't be in this predicament if he had been in charge at the start of the season. Yes he's brought players in but lots of loanees are not the answer. At least he's passionate about the club as we are. I really hope we can stay up as it would be disastrous to go back to League 2. Whatever happens I will continue to support Derry and his team.

Yes we have. I believe he's steadied the ship. We may still go down but before his appointment that was a certainty, now I believe it's 50/50. I think we suffer from a chronic lack of pace in the spine of the team. Plenty out wide, which helps with attacking, but we can't defend against the quick counter attack. Showunmi, Hollis, Fotheringham, Boucaud, Smith, Leacock, Sheehan, Ball etc. all have their plus points but don't work as a unit in my view.

When's Liddle back????

Supporter+

Derry certainly told it how it is in his post match interview, he pulled no punches and was brutally honest in his assessment. I like that, I'm not sure the players will though.

Derry certainly told it how it is in his post match interview, he pulled no punches and was brutally honest in his assessment. I like that, I'm not sure the players will though.

Can you enlighten me please @tonyhateley.I must say that I have been impressed by interviews I have heard by him.This was one thing I didn't like from Nigel Clough sometimes.

Supporter+

Can you enlighten me please @tonyhateley.I must say that I have been impressed by interviews I have heard by him.This was one thing I didn't like from Nigel Clough sometimes.

This is what he said:

“That’s disgusting and I can’t believe that we got ourselves in that position after 15-20 minutes,†he said.

“In my honest opinion, we started playing selfishly as individuals, not as a team, and I can’t accept that.

“Once again we’ve absolutely pressed the self-destruct button, just like we did away at Peterborough, and that’s six points that could be unbelievably costly between now and the end of the season and I’m not accepting it.

“There’s a lack of discipline across the board, from red cards to other offences that I’ll keep private, it’s engrained in the players and they’ve got to take responsibility for their own actions and for their own profession.

“I take responsibility for mine, Greg [Abbott] takes responsibility for his and the staff we’ve got take responsibility for theirs and that’s what hurts.

“It should be an embarrassed dressing room – because I’m embarrassed.â€

I think we will/should only see Smith, Sheehan &, maybe, Spencer from that starting line up, plus Liddle next season. Murray is also worth a punt for another season.

The rest, incl the loanees, will be back at their respective Clubs (or elsewhere).

If we can keep Mullins, despite his questionable display yesterday then I'd be fairly happy. The others, quite frankly, may as well sod off, they offer nothing - most are utter tripe!

I think we will/should only see Smith, Sheehan &, maybe, Spencer from that starting line up, plus Liddle next season. Murray is also worth a punt for another season.

The rest, incl the loanees, will be back at their respective Clubs (or elsewhere).

If we can keep Mullins, despite his questionable display yesterday then I'd be fairly happy. The others, quite frankly, may as well sod off, they offer nothing - most are utter tripe!

Sorry - duplicate post!

Sorry - duplicate post!

No Bart?

JCR has played well under Derry

JCR has played well under Derry

Really? One of the biggest culprits for inconsistency IMO. Having said that, he consistently runs himself into tight corners, over does it & fails to beat his man 9 times out if 10. Wouldn't pay him in washers myself tbh. Not worth keeping, that is for certain.

I wouldn't keep Bart if Spies remains fit. Waste of a salary plus, his recent form only underlines his basic flaws. Great shot stopper but can't command his box and he makes too many critical errors of judgement.

Archived