Leaders debates

Feral Fox

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  3,589
  • Days Won:  75

Without opening up a hornets nest of political views...

Should the leaders debates be a major part of the election? 

Is David Cameron right or badly wrong on his 1 debate with every leader under the sun idea?

Did the debates give you pause for thought in the last general election?

What are your thoughts?

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  1,932
  • Days Won:  26

Wouldn't that end up being another session of the commons where they just try & score petty points off of each other.

With regard to voting I really don't see the point as they never ever deliver on any promise they make apart from the whispered ones to their mates. The whole point of an elected government is that it is representative of the nation as a whole, is this or any government of the last 20 years?

But back to the question.. No it would be a complete waste of time but I feel that the youth of today would go for this melodramatic cack 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,773
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

Should the leaders debates be a major part of the election? 

It is an American idea that has been imported fairly recently, personally I don't like it but I think it is here now and it will always be a part of the election.

Is David Cameron right or badly wrong on his 1 debate with every leader under the sun idea?

Personally I think that the reason that Cameron doesn't want to debate one to one with the Labour leader is because he is in front of Milliband in the polls so he has everything to lose and nothing to gain. If that is the reason he doesn't want to have a debate then that is wrong.

Did the debates give you pause for thought in the last general election?

No, I enjoyed watching them but it didn't change my view on how to vote.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

I think it's good to line them up and get them sweating, you can see who's genuine. Plus it helps the smaller parties. Personally, I think we should get rid of labour, lib dem, etc etc. just have people running for PM.

Seems pointless when parties aren't true to their beliefs.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I don't personally like them, or watch them. It is the latest Americanisation to invade the UK.

Although it gets plenty of viewers...My own belief is that it wouldn't make sufficient difference to the outcome!

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,007
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

Why the hell people voted for who's in now I don't know, I don't think parties joining each other should happen. It should be whoever gains the most votes really, though surely people will rethink when doing it next time.

Who's exactly gaining over the current leadership?

Rich people and tax invaders. Who suffers? The poor, disabled and ill.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,444
  • Days Won:  287

Leaders' debates are another tool for the electorate, but we shouldn't overstate their importance. There is already plenty of information available to the electorate without watching party leaders try to score cheap points off each other. I think it's in the nature of such debates that leaders will appeal to the lowest common denominator. In the internet age, it's not too difficult to do your own research.

On one level it isn't surprising that Cameron doesn't want to take part. But looking at the polls, he has a lot of ground to make up, especially when you consider that the SNP, who are likely to become the third-largest party, have ruled out a coalition with them.

Coalitions aren't bad per se - why should a party that wins just 35% of the vote have absolute power? In that scenario, surely it's more democratic that the views of smaller parties are taken into account. The policies of the current government (and the non-existent prospect of them changing with a new government) have more to do with the fact that we are governed by a narrow, privately educated Westminster elite and have virtually no working class representation IMO. Until that changes, nothing else will.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,655
  • Days Won:  89

I might watch it if I can't get to sleep and I need something to nod off to. Petty point scoring and slimey politicians dodging questions and giving half truths. 

Like a posh Jeremy Kyle. 

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,921
  • Days Won:  162

i really dont like politics but something like what they suggested would bring back some confidence in them in my opinion. paper and knocking on your door is all about looking good but you cannot hide infront of the cameras and if we dont notice, someone will like the media. 

Archived