The next manager

I'm really sad things didn't work out with Shaun Derry, and hope he learns from his mistakes and benefits from the experience in the future.

But now we have to consider where we go next. How do we boost our (IMO slim) changes of staying up? I'm not in favour of an appointment from within as this would inevitably mean Paul Hart. Leave him with the youth team, that's what he does best.

The bookies are talking about Gary Johnson and Darren Ferguson. Johnson did wonderful things at Yeovil until it all started to go wrong last season. I'd at least trust him to put together a new squad. I'm not so sure about Ferguson, he's used to spending far more money than he'll have at Notts. Danny Wilson is also on the market and has applied before, but his last successes were a long, long time ago so I'd steer clear.

Anyone else got any ideas?

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tough gig for whoever comes in as we now have a 9 game season. Agree with the OP about Hart, Ferguson and Wilson. Gary Johnson has a bit of character and fire in his belly and would certainly not shirk the challenge. I did actually laugh at a  mate of mine earlier in the season when he suggested we binned Derry and got Nigel Clough in just before he went the Sheff Utd. All biases aside I don't think he would have done any worse.  Call me an old cynic but whoever is willing to come here for the lowest wage will be hired.

It's interesting because it feels that Shaun has left us within a better position than when he found us.

Who remembers the managers linked with the role back then? I felt quite depressed about the candidates but now I feel quite optimistic about who might come in. I think Darren Ferguson could be the sensible move! I'll back and support whoever comes in, I just hope that people are happy and realize much of the success goes down to timing and support.

Supporter+

With the saving of the CEO's wages you would hope there is some money to get a decent manager who wants decent money. I wouldn't mind seeing Warnock return.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is sad news but expected, I also agree with @DangerousSausage.

We have to move on and quickly, there is negativity emerging quickly around the camp and some fans seem to be better towards the current board, even more so than normal. Lets habour some passion again and lift the spirit.

With all due respect to Derry, he did not take his chance with us.

Lets go for a steady seasonal manager who has a record of lasting at his previous clubs, then fully support him!

Lets go for a steady seasonal manager who has a record of lasting at his previous clubs, then fully support him!

Think that was a Freudian slip ;)

Personally I'd prefer a seasoned manager, but with our board's record we're more likely to end up with a seasonal one!

Johnson for me. Really dislike his attitude sometimes and I've admitted before I'm not a fan, but...

The harsh reality is we need someone who has tactical knowledge and motivational skills. Those added to the ability to sign pros who can perform I can see the appointment being a good one.

Ferguson? Think the lack of cash will rule him out.

Wilson? Is he STILL looking for a job. By rights we should give it to him as he comes up every time we change a manager (which is alot in the past five years.) He should get it out of sympathy and default just so he isnt on the list for the future.

At least for the time being I thing Hart would do a good job, he did wonders for us, he knows his football and likes his team to play football as football should be played.

The above list of candidates again not saying simply cause hes an old forest man but if you could SOD I honestly think he could do good job was very unlucky while at forest and many fans believe should never of been sacked.

Doesn't Uwe have attitude problems? I swear I recall reading about him fighting every other week!

I'm also not a fan of Di Canio, he's one of the most overrated managers out there and he only got the Premiership job because of his former experience as a player. They are two managers I hope Notts would keep clear of because they're not worth the hassle.

Supporter+

I previously said Warnock but if we can't get him I think Hart and Halsall may just get us out of this mess. The players probably know them, they will certainly have seen games and know the players and staff at the club.

I don't mean to squash people's hopes and dreams, but Tisdale has already rejected better jobs, Rösler and Adkins are more likely to join a Championship or top League One club, and I doubt O'Driscoll would leave the England set-up for such an unstable job, although they would all be good options. If we get anyone in this season, it'll be someone who is ready to make the drop to League Two if the worst happens. And as we all crave stability, we'd be better off with someone who can build and manage a squad properly without the help of a blank cheque.

Some more names:

Mark Yates - eight years of management at two clubs, so he was doing something right. FA Trophy finalist at Kidderminster, subsequently poached by Cheltenham, where he reached the play-offs twice. Also assisted Steve Cotterill.

Steve Burr - Chester manager. Very good record at various clubs in the Conference, and is much sought-after at that level. Downsides: is Scottish and his head is shaped like an egg.

Steven Pressley - allegedly seen at Meadow Lane. Hopefully not.

Paul Hart and Paolo DiCanio: there's a thought.

First would probably get you relegated and second bankrupt you by the end of next season (although you would enjoy the antics and the promise of a tattoo).

Provided he brings and pays for my pizza he's got the job! ;)

Supporter+

Paul Cox has been on Radio Red saying he wants the job.

Not sure about that.

Paul Cox has been on Radio Red saying he wants the job.

Not sure about that.

Definitely not sure about that.

We desperately need an experienced manager who can point to league successes on his CV. 

Avoid all ex-players, old boys routine at all costs please Mr Trew!

Archived