Are the current team wrong for this division?

Fan of Big Tone

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  10,772
  • Days Won:  428
  • 𝕏:  twitter @mainstandpie

Supporter+

After the first few games it appears to me that we have a side capable of performing at a higher level in the top half of league one and possibly the championship but is that what is needed to get us out of league two.

Are we too good for this division, do we need players that can handle the Mansfields and Accringtons or am I talking rubbish what do people think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

I think you're right. Morecambe is a real test. I doubt we'll win, I think it will be physical, scrappy and a 100 miles an hour. We can't deal with that. Going to take 10 games at least.

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  47
  • Days Won:  0

Was saying the same thing at work on Wednesday. hopefully it won't take too long to adjust to the physical game of league 2.

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Supporter+

Yes I think that hopefully we can learn to adjust our style of play to this division as well as play the neat flowing football when the opposition allow it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  467
  • Days Won:  5

In league 2 we'll be bullied out of the game unless we find someone to boss the midfield and a big no nonsense centre half. We have some exciting skilful players going forward but we are not very good at defending and we keep flying in with mistimed tackles. However I think Moniz will get the balance right and McLeod will make a big difference up front. We will get better and hopefully see some good football this season.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,443
  • Days Won:  287

I know what you're saying, but being "good" also includes being able to stamp your mark on games and not get bullied. A team that shies away from the physical side of things isn't going to be successful at any level. If we really are too good for this division, we'll go up.

• Content Count:  2,832
  • Days Won:  59

I agree with DS, if we are considered to be too good for league two, then to be proved right we will find ourselves promoted to League one for next season.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,993
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

All it will take is time, had we have draw or beaten Mansfield (from a good performance) - confidence would have been sky high. We just need this, it will push us on. You can't be too good for a division and struggle, good players will adapt.

I firmly believe they will do that.

• Content Count:  12,908
  • Days Won:  162

we need to approach games as we mean to go, if we dictate the tempo and hold onto the ball we would look much better but we invite teams to play us, such as mansfield and accrington.

i do think its a physical league which some are not used to.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  1,333
  • Days Won:  11

Like Ive said befor. Im going to start my assesment of players and Team in november, in this time we should be able to shake it up and find the perfect 11.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,511
  • Days Won:  9

I think some players are still adapting to this league, it will take time. I would say we perform better in the games where we are the underdogs more to be honest.

• Content Count:  904
  • Days Won:  3

It's a good squad, just needs time. If we started off winning every game it would be boring. This squad has more to offer, when it does this question will be about being better than the division and the clubs within it.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Are we a top half of League One/Championship side?  Not by a long shot. 

I think we are a technically gifted side, we have had a few teething problems, defence and discipline being the major ones, but I think we will come good after a few more games. Good enough to go up? Too early to say. Aborah, Swerts, Amevor all seem to be able to rough it up if needs be. Even too much in Aborah and Amevor's cases. So I don't think our 'johhny foreigners' are ill-suited to this league, it'll just take a while to settle, but I think we're seeing the improvements already. 

If you look back to the side when we won L2, we didn't win the league because we were bigger and could commit more fouls than the opposition team, we won it because our players were technically better, which is why a lot of that side went on to play in a higher league. 

• Content Count:  3
  • Days Won:  0

what an arrogant post....please dont lump Mansfield and Accrington together

Not sure if you were there when Mansfield totally dominated a poor Notts side. You were footballed to death by a team that were up for it roared on by a massive and v v v loud support

If you had been playing in  a higher league it would have been more than 2 0.

It really is quite simple  - you ain't good enough and don't want it enough.   

Supporter+

what an arrogant post....please dont lump Mansfield and Accrington together

Not sure if you were there when Mansfield totally dominated a poor Notts side. You were footballed to death by a team that were up for it roared on by a massive and v v v loud support

If you had been playing in  a higher league it would have been more than 2 0.

It really is quite simple  - you ain't good enough and don't want it enough.   

Hi @yorkstag sorry I didn't mean to sound arrogant, Mansfield and Accrington were the only two teams in that division that we had played that's why I lumped you with them.

I agree that Mansfield were worthy winners in that game but I felt that the Notts players were bullied and harried throughout the whole match and Mansfield definitely wanted it more than us, whereas when we have played the higher division teams in the cup, they tended to let us play and give us time, I wonder if that is why we did better against them. Perhaps the players we have are more suited to that sort of game.

Archived