Match Discussion Game 40: The Cobblers (A)

ivansneck

• Followers:  2
  • Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

I thought I'd start this now as we're all feeling a little more optimistic. However, the runaway league-leaders away is not who we would want to play now. If JF had still been what is laughingly called 'in charge', I would have suggested not turning up and taking the 3-0 defeat plus the fine.

But... with MC at the helm, I think I'd reward today's starting 11 with another game, continuity and showing belief in players low on confidence.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Followers:  9
  • Content Count:  2,460
  • Days Won:  15

If we can get a good performance against them then I may start to believe that we may sort this mess of a season out. Any one can win games in this division if you apply yourselves properly.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

On the face of it we can only expect defeat, but Northampton were 2-0 down to the Stags today and the game only seemed to turn when Stags went down to 10 men before half time.  Maybe the Cobblers are starting to feel the pressure of being so close, or possibly thinking the job is already done.  If we could sneak a point it would do wonders for confidence with a run of easier looking games to follow.

• Content Count:  1,179
  • Days Won:  23

I'd be more than happy with a draw against these, Mansfield have been on an 8 game run without a win and until they had a man sent off they were beating them, they aren't unbeatable but all I would ask is that the players give it their all

Sent from my Wileyfox Swift using Tapatalk

• Followers:  5
  • Content Count:  2,463
  • Days Won:  68

Supporter+

Northampton have been nothing short of brilliant this season. They put their off field problems behind them and have stormed through the division. It will be a huge test for a group of players who haven't stepped up to the mark. Any positive result would be fantastic.

• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  29,983
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

It would be good to see another steady performance, I don't expect miracles but after Saturday giving them a game would be very positive to see. If we can hold out defensively would be good but no parking the bus, we must attack because it will take pressure off. Keep the starting line-up close to Wycombe, perhaps give Murray a start over Campbell.

Hopefully we won't see many changes because there's really no need, unless of fitness/injury.

Northampton may be doing very well, and our game may just be sorting itself out but there's no reason why we could achieve a draw. @Drivingmenotts says 3-0 to them which is a possibility but I just expect Cooper won't allow another heavy defeat. COYP

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  159
  • Days Won:  3

Were it as easy as "Cooper won't allow another heavy defeat" Joe.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

i think to a point @notts-joe is right, wycombe should have dominated us but they did not. northampton are a different test but he spoke about wanting centre halfs to head the ball away, if we can fight together i do see us losing heavily like we did under jamie.

but i dont think we will play close to winning.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  530
  • Days Won:  24

On paper, they should have our pants down around our ankles......but, as others have said, MC has instilled a tiny bit of grit and determination into Notts....sooooooo

Our pants will be pulled down midway between creamy-white buttocks and the knees...........2-0 Northampton.....a goal in each half.

• Content Count:  1,588
  • Days Won:  22

5-0 to No...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Followers:  11
  • Content Count:  8,766
  • Days Won:  193
  • 𝕏:  twitter @piethagoram

expecting same team as the Wycombe game but Piethagoram may just tweak it here and there. Stanley to take the dead ball plays

Loach

Wildin Edwards Hollis Audel

Thompson Aborah Milsom Snijders

Burke

Stead

edit... Think it will be a good match following Wycombe, as it is likely to expose more weaknesses and help MC's learning curve... but I think with a good week's preparation, there is a chance we may surprise a few people. 

Mark Cooper said in his recent interview that if mike Edwards is fit he will play every game since he knows he will actually head the ball away

@ohstanleyaborah well, may mean that Boyce will not get any further game time?

I'd say it's likely that is the case, I can't say I have been too impressed with Boyce myself and Eddie may be the 'if in doubt, get it out' sort of centre half but we just need someone that will keep the ball out of the net

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  227
  • Days Won:  1

Got my ticket today and I expect nothing less than a convincing win,😄

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,507
  • Days Won:  9

Boyce and Edwards for me.

Hollis is to prone to playing awful balls. He defends reasonably well but last Monday even I found myself wondering how he managed to get selected.

Boyce and Edwards for me.

Hollis is to prone to playing awful balls. He defends reasonably well but last Monday even I found myself wondering how he managed to get selected.

A lot of people don't rate Hollis and I completely understand why, but for me I think some of the slack he gets unfair, he played well on Monday, yet he is a hoofer but but I don't think he's the worst defender we have, would it be worth trying Amevor, I haven't seen enough to judge him myself

On 30/03/2016 at 13:32, medievalmickey said:

Were it as easy as "Cooper won't allow another heavy defeat" Joe.

I know what you mean, but I honestly believe Cooper will sort it out - at least to the point whereby we don't concede heavily.

The fact he's selecting the defenders based on the prime principles of defending is a brilliant start, you need to set a clear standard of what you expect and want from your defenders. He spoke of wanting defenders to 'head' the ball and to win challenges, second balls etc. All things we haven't been doing for the majority of the season, at least not consistently.

I think it will be very tough game but the past two games they have had close shaves, we just need to keep it tight and hope for the best

• Followers:  6
  • Content Count:  1,263
  • Days Won:  25

Can we upset the party today , let's hope so , they may not be as driven as a few games ago as they are nearly over the line,   if we can keep the improvement shown against Wycombe going ya never know , its a funny old game ,   a draw for me I say in hope , coyp 

There's not that long to go now, I'm feel strangely optimistic (due to recent months) and I really think if we apply ourselves - the players will do us fans proud.

Hopefully it will be a solid line-up, consistent with the Wycombe game.

• Followers:  20
  • Content Count:  8,285
  • Days Won:  69

Good luck Notts.I hope you're the team partying at 5pm.

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  2,654
  • Days Won:  89

Starting XI: Loach, Atkinson, Edwards, Hollis, Audel, Aborah, Thompson, Noble, Milsom, Stead, Campbell

Subs: Carroll, Murray, Amevor, Snijders, Sharpe, Hewitt, McLeod

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,900
  • Days Won:  162

burke possible injured and colin speaking of a monk like silence by ray, he seems to have his views on what needs doing.

hope we get a good performance today.

Archived