possible striker

I miss transfer speculations, mostly because this embargo really has spoiled my fun!

Decent player back in the day, but only really amounted to much with West Ham. After that he fell off the radar and probably isn't at his best, yet the name alone will be enough to sensationalise some into thinking we may be linked with a goal machine.

It's debatable if this could be the case, all depends on if he would join a League Two team.

That said, I thought he was still at Celtic (forgetting he was one of many high earners released when some ex Liverpool manager took over).

Just what we need, another slow has been over the age of 30. If he is any good and plays instead of Jon Stead, then fine, but not alongside him! 

It's defenders and wingers we need that should be a priority, not strikers. The ones we have will score goals if we can find someone to create a chance, or two.

3 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Just what we need, another slow has been over the age of 30. If he is any good and plays instead of Jon Stead, then fine, but not alongside him! 

It's defenders and wingers we need that should be a priority, not strikers. The ones we have will score goals if we can find someone to create a chance, or two.

An experienced partnership doesn't worry me, Stead needs someone stronger along side him. Cole may offer that.

4 hours ago, Fozzy said:

Depends how you play. A couple of pacey wingers with a half decent final ball... to Stead and C. Cole in the box, that could be havoc. 

I was sitting with a west ham fan on the way to Grimsby and he said he always rated him and that he would do a job for us

An experienced partnership doesn't worry me, Stead needs someone stronger along side him. Cole may offer that.

Cole has never been a prolific goal scorer but there is a reason he was in the premier league for so long and played for England 9 times, at least we know he would give 100% as its Nolan's mate

Cole has never been a prolific goal scorer but there is a reason he was in the premier league for so long and played for England 9 times, at least we know he would give 100% as its Nolan's mate

He can score, I always say it's about how strikers perform and help their team mates. Two outright strikers who score for fun is rare, yet he did have two good seasons for West Ham and he's experienced.

Supporter+
12 hours ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

I was sitting with a west ham fan on the way to Grimsby and he said he always rated him and that he would do a job for us

Was the West Ham fan lost? I know Cockneys think London is England but surely he knew the difference between Grimsby and Middlesborough? Granted they are both in the north but there's no excuse in the era of GPS......

Supporter+

CC's fitness levels shouldn't be an issue.....

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4113384/Carlton-Cole-leaving-chance-former-Chelsea-West-Ham-England-hotshot-looks-new-club-new-challenge.html

Sounds like he would apply himself which is all you can ask for. 

Was the West Ham fan lost? I know Cockneys think London is England but surely he knew the difference between Grimsby and Middlesborough? Granted they are both in the north but there's no excuse in the era of GPS......

He said he lived in Newark and since it was Nolan's first away game he thought he would go, he said that west ham tickets are really hard to get hold of even if you have a membership

CC's fitness levels shouldn't be an issue.....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-4113384/Carlton-Cole-leaving-chance-former-Chelsea-West-Ham-England-hotshot-looks-new-club-new-challenge.html
Sounds like he would apply himself which is all you can ask for. 

Well he's Nolan's mate so out of respect for him he would try his best to help him if he did sign

I can't say I'm bothered, I said to JJ that I felt it was being sensationalised - I mean really, like I said in the transfer piece I wrote he's the exact style of signing we would have made under the last regime. You can't sign players based on their name, reputation or just because they've played in an higher league.

He could have done a job but there was a risk.

I hope that we are looking into players who are available, either as free agents or free transfers. It would be nice if we had a bit to spend, though I won't get ahead of myself with that department. I just think it would make a chance to capture someone another club didn't want out. Plenty of good players go for lower fee's, for a mix of various reasons. I was never sold on the 'best to buy free players' or better to release them without obtaining a fee either.

13 hours ago, ohstanleyaborah said:

879fab441f979ff20aefd63d27eb844a.jpg

It's quite simple, here's how I think it went.

Media: Will you be signing anyone or using your contacts?
KN: Perhaps, I've been speaking to Carlton Cole recently.
Media: Would you like to sign him?
KN: I'd love to bring him to Notts, Cole and I go back along way and we are good friends.

Then the sensationalism kicks in, is there any clear dialogue anywhere to what Kevin Nolan said? It sort of makes me grumpy that Nolan should be branded but the BBC seem to walk clean from spreading the rumour. Sometimes people stretch the truth, myself & JJ learned this recently when John Thompson didn't like a headline. :/

Archived