• Followers:  24
  • Content Count:  30,147
  • Days Won:  1,062
  • 𝕏:  twitter fmcj10

So, tonight Notts play their first real opposition in a friendly against Nottingham Forest at Meadow Lane. The club has announced that there will be minute's applause before the game in honour of our former Chairman Derek Pavis. Despite only being a friendly, I welcome this additional news because I think despite the score being irrelevant - it will add a little more appreciation to the friendly.

What do you think the score will be? General thoughts?

Discuss below folks...

• Followers:  3
  • Content Count:  2,894
  • Days Won:  229

As pre-season friendlies go, it's probably one of the best choices for both clubs. Nothing is at stake in these games, but the rivalry between the sides - not to mention the beef between the fans - will instinctively add pressure to both sets of players, which will go some way to replicating competitive action.

Paying tribute to Derek Pavis is also a very nice touch, and the addition of a trophy will again up the stakes for the teams. So I'm hoping for a hotly contested game.

I reckon it'll end 1-1 or 2-2.

• Followers:  7
  • Content Count:  3,524
  • Days Won:  9

By far the best friendly arranged by the club, after the fiasco of last season I am surprised they are willing to even consider it.

I will be there tonight in the Pavis stand, hoping to see what the new signings offer and that the game will be good. Friendlies do not tend to offer much, though this being against Forest it should be lively. 3-1 to Forest is my prediction but they will be lighter upfront with Britt leaving.

• Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

This is going to be one of tough test pre season game for county and a true sign on how far they have developed since last season. For us a true insight to how Nolan may play the formation the style etc. A minutes anpploase before the game is a fantastic way to honour a man that gave so much to Notts county. I can't wait for the game either way Its going to be a positive match.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,942
  • Days Won:  162

these notts fans moaning on social media will react what forest fans do if we win. i am a bit disappointed that its been decided to play for a cup in honour of derek pavis, i think its not warranted and that the minutes applause would be good enough. we all know if we win notts fans will big it up and if we lose they will moan. just like the forest fans who say they dont care despite getting tickets.

im not really interested in what the score will be!

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  2

Who cares about those red dogs? I hope we thrash them.

They will struggle more than us this season watch, the clubs still a shambles. :lol:

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,468
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

The score does not matter at the end of the day, but it is a good touch from both teams to make the friendly a little more competitive. The minute silence will be a nice send off to Derek Pavis, I just hope they dont humiliate us.

I have a feeling we will see how weak the defence is still or they will show us what they can do.

Just need to see a good game, that's all, a nice run out.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,447
  • Days Won:  287

Our first friendly against serious opposition. It'll be interesting to see what the team looks like with the new additions.

Hopefully those of you who are going can make a good racket and drown out the visiting fans. I can't blame the F*rest fans for being excited, they're only there to see the County, bless them.

• Followers:  16
  • Content Count:  12,942
  • Days Won:  162

i hope kevin nolan does not set us up like he did against newport, that was very negative and i would hope we avoid parking the bus.

12 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

I can't blame the F*rest fans for being excited, they're only there to see the County, bless them.

:lol:

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

I'll be there tonight, but unfortunately can only predict a comprehensive defeat.  We will struggle to put out any sort of competitive team from what I can see. The strongest (in the loosest possible sense of the word) would seem to be:

Collin

Tootle, Duffy, Hollis, Jones

Hawkridge, Hewitt, Milsom, Alessandra

Stead, Ameobi

I assume Curtis Thompson is still injured, so unless I've forgotten anyone that only leaves Dickinson and Forte on the bench who would be considered as genuine first team squad, with the other places made up of triallists, coaching staff and youth players.  We need a few signings urgently.

I expect Forest will want to hold the ball, so they will be patient because they're more a direct team.

I'm more concerned about them unleashing pace and prompt attacks which could result in them having fun, however I am certain that Kevin Nolan won't 'park the bus' or play too defensive. It's a friendly, so there won't be any pressure to avoid attacking and really its what we require. To balance ourselves against the play, we will need to pick the ball up and use it wisely.

There's no doubt in my mind that we can play well and block them, it will be a case of experience for us though.

• Followers:  1
  • Content Count:  18
  • Days Won:  0

Aup mate, 

What did you think of the game mate? 🔴⭐⚪⭐

8 hours ago, Elite_pie said:

I'll be there tonight, but unfortunately can only predict a comprehensive defeat.  We will struggle to put out any sort of competitive team from what I can see. The strongest (in the loosest possible sense of the word) would seem to be:

Collin

Tootle, Duffy, Hollis, Jones

Hawkridge, Hewitt, Milsom, Alessandra

Stead, Ameobi

I assume Curtis Thompson is still injured, so unless I've forgotten anyone that only leaves Dickinson and Forte on the bench who would be considered as genuine first team squad, with the other places made up of triallists, coaching staff and youth players.  We need a few signings urgently.

I'm sure you could come in for a couple of our younger lads, Virgil Gomez, Edser, Tyler Walker, to name a few. I really enjoyed the game tonight  (arrrgh sorry I meant last night) Anyway you guys gave  as good as you got,  we just finished a couple of our chances that's all. I think you and Mansfield will be up there aswel as Chesterfield. All the best for thee upcoming season. Yoooooooou⭐⭐Reeeeeeeeds 

9 hours ago, Anti-Red said:

Who cares about those red dogs? I hope we thrash them.

They will struggle more than us this season watch, the clubs still a shambles. :lol:

You obviously do care, about us Red dogs. I actually thought you guys would've had more fans there than us, seeing as you was supposed to be the home team:unsure: whoops.... embarrassing :huh: nevermind it was only a pre-season game after all😂😂

2 hours ago, MucsybRed8ew said:

Aup mate, 

What did you think of the game mate? 🔴⭐⚪⭐

I felt the game started lively, much more than I thought and it sort of felt more important.

Forest played like I suspected, happy to let us have a go but controlled the passing.

Going forward you looked useful, though I couldn't help but feel both teams was poor in the final third. Equal good chances was missed, yet as a friendly it was entertaining.

The atmosphere wasn't very good, yet the Kop was fairly lively - just wished your fans sang more.

Singing about Shola missing three chances seemed very pointless to be fair. Your 33 missed 5 chances, yet there silly things sung by both parties.

I did like how Forest fans sang 'Nottingham' when things got a little silly, it was good that it took over in our half.

Not sure about the three Forest fans in the Kop, one I was told kept threatening people.

Goals came from mistakes, yet you deserved to win but I'm proud of the way Notts played.

Think it highlights both teams require additional quality.

PS. I hope you enjoyed visiting Meadow Lane.

• Followers:  12
  • Content Count:  5,447
  • Days Won:  287

Did this friendly make you feel more or less confident about the upcoming season? How did the newbies and trialists get on?

• Followers:  4
  • Content Count:  1,041
  • Days Won:  71

50 minutes ago, DangerousSausage said:

Did this friendly make you feel more or less confident about the upcoming season? How did the newbies and trialists get on?

A bit more optimistic if anything.  They looked what they are, a team a couple of levels above us but I was pleasantly surprised by the number of chances we created with a weakened team.  The team for the last 20 minutes in fact consisted of one first teamer (Milsom), 2 fringe players (Forte & Dickinson) with the other 8 made up of triallists, coaching staff and youth players.  Of the new boys, Jones looks a better option at left back than Dicko, and Hawkridge has impressed me more than Alessandra so far.  Alessandra has struggled to get involved a bit, though I don't think he's been played in his best position.  Can't say any of the triallists really caught the eye.  The loan of Grant should fill the creative midfield slot, but we still need a few more players in to fill the other gaps.

I think @Elite_pie sums this up very well.

Defensively we started off very well, we looked capable of handling Forest and despite them being very direct close to goal we coped. I do feel we ran out of steam and that the changes really cut into the way the game was shaping. I think one solid CB would improve the defence, I though Dan Jones did alright but a lot of fans singled him out as the worst link with me (which I didn't agree with).

I felt even Tootle struggled at times but both put in a decent shift, with Jones looking more keen to feature in the play.

Midfield we looked very light IMO. Forest had a very small squad but they easily muscled us off the ball and we had nobody who stood up to this. Milsom did when he came on and was very direct himself. Forte linked well with the midfield but apart from Hawkridge we was very flat when chasing the game.

Upfront we looked capable.

I still think the goalkeeper situation needs handling ;) yet Collin was far better than the trialist keeper.

Oh, some might not like this but Alan Smith offered us something.

He held his own and took a lot of roughing up from Forest players, he remained calm and got on with the game. Aerial threats he assisted, his passing was pretty much perfect and he held the play up very well. I can't see him starting much or being anything more than an impact sub, yet he did okay against Forest and with the limitations I saw in our midfield Alan Smith could play a small role in bridging play.

The game yesterday showed to me that we could be a strong team in the league next season. We had a great start with Ameobi coming close. We have to remember that Nottingham Forest are a team much better than us and we gave them a good competitive game. The defence had massively improved and I think that with a. Few smart signings this season could be a good one. 

• Content Count:  6,696
  • Days Won:  43

Fantastic game in my option sometime the score don't represent how the game went. From the start we came out fast had the first shot came close. From there forest may have took control in the early stages but we more than took control back and held our own. The match to me shown we are in with a shot at  promotion  we now have a team and manager that cares if we take last nights match in to the season it's going to be a great season. The defence looked strong only two errors which lead to the goals but again if this was last season it would have been worse. So a great game and performeance from the magpies bring on the new season. 

• Followers:  10
  • Content Count:  3,468
  • Days Won:  18
  • 𝕏:  twitter TheSkipperNCFC

I thought we played well, but I did feel we could have done better.

The chances we managed to create was rushed, we wasted opportunity and we looked very sluggish when it mattered. Forest defended quite poorly in comparison to us but we still did not test the keeper. Its positive but not great. 

• Followers:  0
  • Content Count:  187
  • Days Won:  2

18 hours ago, MucsybRed8ew said:

You obviously do care, about us Red dogs. I actually thought you guys would've had more fans there than us, seeing as you was supposed to be the home team:unsure: whoops.... embarrassing :huh: nevermind it was only a pre-season game after all😂😂

Bet your delighted with yourself.

How many United games to you go to per season? Deluded red dog.

3 hours ago, Anti-Red said:

Bet your delighted with yourself.

How many United games to you go to per season? Deluded red dog.

United? You been on the glue sunshine :hyper:

Archived